programmer and towing questions? - forum newbie - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hdnaqha, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 750 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

programmer and towing questions? - forum newbie

Hello!! I'm excited to join!

My question - I have a stock 2002 dodge ram 2500 short bed with extended cab 4x4. It is all stock on it's second VP44 and lift pump. It has an automatic in it with 96k on the truck. I would like to add more power to it.

Here is the issue - how can i add power and still tow up to 12,000 lbs twice a month during barrel racing season so my wife doesn't burn it up? I would like it as simple as possible - maybe without gauges if possible?

What should I go with and what are the approximate costs? I'm confused if I can tweak it at all after some of the posts.

All information is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 AM

First things first I would get at least a fuel pressure gauge even if you don't add HP mods. By doing this you will save yourself from having to buy a new injection pump after you starve it of fuel. How much extra are you looking for because there are some nice boxes out there that you can turn up for play and turn down for towing and still pull the 12,000 lbs no problem.

2000 CTD, HOT Juice w/Attitude, Smarty, Mach 2 injectors (105 HP), 4" exhaust, BHAF, SB Clutch, FASS 150 ARP 12mm studs, stage 3 snow kit.

2008 f350/96 cummins in the works.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 AM

At least get a low fuel pressure light, those work fine as well, you just don't know quite as much about what is going on. As far as putting on a box. I ran my truck with a hot box and injectors for quite a while on the stock turbo and transmission, pulling up to 18.5k at times. The only thing is, once you add a fueling box your stock transmissions days are numbered. If you did the proper supporting mods, you could be trouble free forever but the cost starts to rise pretty sharply when you get into transmission work. If you don't want to worry about your tranny, stick with a timing only box, and upgrade the trans cooling system.

If you want a fueling box, do the trans mods first so you don't buy an entirely new tranny down the road. A torque converter, shift kit, and better cooling system would do wonders for it and allow it to hold up to a fueling box and mild injectors. It really just depends on how much power you want to be honest. also, to avoid needing to monitor gauges, just stick with a timing only box. Forgot you added that little clause in there.

The edge EZ is a good timing box, adds about 65hp and is good for better throttle response too. Hope this helps.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 AM

Garage
I would say no matter what you do add a pyro and fuel pressure gauge. My dads truck will go over 1400 and he only has a ez on his truck. Guages will save you in the long haul. But being as you have an auto trans temp pyro and fuel are important. my truck went through 2 auto's with only a superchip. I did not own it when it lost the 1st but when I pulled it out and did all my upgrades it was all dated from being redone.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 AM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
I'm not very up to date on the Dodge tuners, but do yourself a favor and get the boost, pyrometer, transmission and fuel pressure gauges. For future upgrades they could save you from lots of money. It's common knowledge that Dodge's stock jerkomatic transmissions aren't up to the task of more power. Get it upgraded before you do much else to your truck.

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I have a low fuel pressure light in the cab. I was hoping to stay at that technical level for the driver. Sounds like an edge EZ is about where I want to be. I just want a little more power without the drag racing capabilities since I know the trans wouldn't make it long. I did figure there would be some middle ground we could work in for a while. What great information! Thanks. I hope there is more to come. Any suggestions on guages if we go that route?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Garage
well see thats a slippery road your starting on. Just a lil bit of power and once you have that you want more then your selling the first box for a bigger one. But some can be happy with just that. Guages I have always liked autometer and you can get the 3 guage pillar pod for a good price and it's pretty simple to put in. But it's all personal preference there. Do you have a larger pan on the trans yet? If not to be able to have a tranny temp guage you will need a new trans line that runs about 80 or so.. http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG2.asp

or you can get a pan with a port in it they can range in price greatly. I found a good deal for a b&m pan from summitt racing http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294922122
guage kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

but thats just a lil help there

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 AM

Get the fuel pressure and pyro for sure. Ive got a edge EZ and a Superchips programmer and I pull 12000+ often. My truck has 209,000+ on the clock with the original VP and Tranny, I guess I am lucky or something. My Dad had it before me (stock) He did some mild towing but nothing major with no problems. I say get the gauges and a small programmer or chip.:Thumbup:

2008 6.7 [B]CUMMINS[/B3500 4x4 4 door 6 speed ]S&B Cold air intake, TS Performance MP-8 5'' MBRP Tip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode