New guy here with questions (mainly wastegate) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Tray27, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 911 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

New guy here with questions (mainly wastegate)

Hey guys, I'm the new guy here. I want to give a few details then go from here. I currently have a 2002 6 speed that I use for work, I've never weighed the truck its self but I have had it on a few 12k lifts that wouldn't budge it (it's heavy!) and I pull a trailer fairly often thats also heavy with the gvwr at 18k. Currently I have an edge juice w/attitude stacked with a smarty, 4" exhaust and a BHAF. My boost maxes out at about 25psi and I would like to try to get that up to around 32 or so if possible. I'm wanting to try blocking my wastegate to see if it really makes a difference, but I'm having trouble finding it. I found what I think is it, and pulled and plugged a hose that I thought was right, but no extra boost. So right now I'm thinking either I got the wrong line (put it back now) or I'm just not getting enough fuel.

The truck has shown low fuel pressure for the past 3 years. With a brand new fuel filter my attitude monitor will show about 7-8 psi at idle and 0-1 psi WOT. Thats been for about 3 years now and although I did have a lift pump die about 2 years ago, no problems since so I'm thinking my fuel gauge may not work correctly.

I know this will be a long post, but I'm posting this for some advice and hoping that maybe someone will be able to point me to exactly where the wastegate is and what I would need to plug so that I can be positive I had it right. My next step with my truck (I believe) is to add new injectors along with either a FASS or Air Dog, and I'm wondering if with my weight and that amount I pull if a new turbo should be in the list? I'm not looking for a race work truck but of course I would like to have as much power as I could without risking the engine or other parts. Thats where I need help. You guys are much smarter than me when it comes to trucks!

2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 6sp manual, 4x4, Edge Juice w/Attitude stacked w/Smarty, MBRP 4" exhaust, BHAF, South bend DD, FASS 95/150, BHAF, .40 over pistons

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab, Auto, 4x4, tst powermax, Smarty, Full billet Goerend w shift enhancer, AD 150, K&N intake
2000 F350 Supercab, Auto, 4x4, stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Alaskan Assassin

I think it's underneath the turbo. A buddy of mine got a Banks Big Head on his '98-1/2 and you can see it through the wheelwell.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Okay I'm kinda giving myself a crash course on things here. My turbo is an HX35W, right by the plate telling me the model and such is a little elbow (right where the line running from the intercooler to the turbo comes in) with a hose running from it to a round cylinder which I'm guessing is the actuator? I plugged the hose after the elbow and before the cylinder, is that correct? Or should I be trying to adjust my boost by shortening? the arm coming out of the actuator?

I'm not mechanically inclined at all (if you can't tell, lol) on the knowledge side of anything here but when I know whats going on I can get by. Am I heading in the right direction here or have I once again jumbled different things I've read into one thing?

2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 6sp manual, 4x4, Edge Juice w/Attitude stacked w/Smarty, MBRP 4" exhaust, BHAF, South bend DD, FASS 95/150, BHAF, .40 over pistons

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab, Auto, 4x4, tst powermax, Smarty, Full billet Goerend w shift enhancer, AD 150, K&N intake
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray27
Hey guys, I'm the new guy here. I want to give a few details then go from here. I currently have a 2002 6 speed that I use for work, I've never weighed the truck its self but I have had it on a few 12k lifts that wouldn't budge it (it's heavy!) and I pull a trailer fairly often thats also heavy with the gvwr at 18k. Currently I have an edge juice w/attitude stacked with a smarty, 4" exhaust and a BHAF. My boost maxes out at about 25psi and I would like to try to get that up to around 32 or so if possible. I'm wanting to try blocking my wastegate to see if it really makes a difference, but I'm having trouble finding it. I found what I think is it, and pulled and plugged a hose that I thought was right, but no extra boost. So right now I'm thinking either I got the wrong line (put it back now) or I'm just not getting enough fuel.

The truck has shown low fuel pressure for the past 3 years. With a brand new fuel filter my attitude monitor will show about 7-8 psi at idle and 0-1 psi WOT. Thats been for about 3 years now and although I did have a lift pump die about 2 years ago, no problems since so I'm thinking my fuel gauge may not work correctly.

I know this will be a long post, but I'm posting this for some advice and hoping that maybe someone will be able to point me to exactly where the wastegate is and what I would need to plug so that I can be positive I had it right. My next step with my truck (I believe) is to add new injectors along with either a FASS or Air Dog, and I'm wondering if with my weight and that amount I pull if a new turbo should be in the list? I'm not looking for a race work truck but of course I would like to have as much power as I could without risking the engine or other parts. Thats where I need help. You guys are much smarter than me when it comes to trucks!
On your truck, your turbo is an hx35, There is a rubber hose on our trucks coming from the wastegate actuator to the turbo housing with a little elbow at the turbo housing. (Our) trucks with the rubber hose can use a boost elbow which replaces the elbow in the turbo housing and can plug the wastegate with an allen screw in there for earlier peak boost. You can pick up a boost elbow online, ebay or rig one up yourself.

And as for your fuel pressure.... You always want your fuel at wop to be above 10. Where is your sending unit mounted for that gauge?? If its functioning, you need another new lift pump, b/c your ip is taking a beating, and your at extreme risk of losing it($1600 repair). Im actually amazed it has lasted this long at 1psi at wot

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

Quote:
Okay I'm kinda giving myself a crash course on things here. My turbo is an HX35W, right by the plate telling me the model and such is a little elbow (right where the line running from the intercooler to the turbo comes in) with a hose running from it to a round cylinder which I'm guessing is the actuator? I plugged the hose after the elbow and before the cylinder, is that correct? Or should I be trying to adjust my boost by shortening? the arm coming out of the actuator?

I'm not mechanically inclined at all (if you can't tell, lol) on the knowledge side of anything here but when I know whats going on I can get by. Am I heading in the right direction here or have I once again jumbled different things I've read into one thing?
Yes this is the actuator. To adjust boost, most people replace that copper fitting in the turbo housing with something called a boost elbow(around $15) and then hook up the rubber hose as is. It is easily adjustable so that you can raise or lower your boost with just an allen wrench. If your truck is stock, you wont see a difference in boost by pluggin the wastegate. Fill out your sig so we know what you are running. Oh and btw, welcome to TDG.

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedtofirst45
Yes this is the actuator. To adjust boost, most people replace that copper fitting in the turbo housing with something called a boost elbow(around $15) and then hook up the rubber hose as is. It is easily adjustable so that you can raise or lower your boost with just an allen wrench. If your truck is stock, you wont see a difference in boost by pluggin the wastegate. Fill out your sig so we know what you are running. Oh and btw, welcome to TDG.
Hmm, thats odd. I have my sig filled out. It shows in the first post but not in the second. I figured that fitting was where a boost elbow would go, but figured if a boost elbow would work then plugging the end of that line would too. Maybe I'm just maxed out on fuel until I get a chance to get an airdog or FASS put in, or maybe I just didn't plug the line well enough. I just shoved a bolt in the end of the rubber line (fit tightly) and took it on the hwy for a few then changed everything back when I saw no increased boost. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I called the only local diesel performance shop to see if they might have a boost elbow and see about getting a FASS put in, but they told me to increase boost I had a change my turbo. That combined with the fact that they were going to order the edge evolution for me, saying he had a guy with an 01 that ran it with his edge and loved it, tells me to stay far far away from there considering as far as I can tell they don't make an evolution for my truck.

Thanks for the replies guys. One more question, if this was your truck, weighing what mine weighs and pulling an 18k trailer, what size of injectors would you feel comfortable with considering I already have the Juice and Smarty stacked? I'm thinking some 75hp or so should make an improvement and still be fine?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

:Thumbup:
Quote:
Hmm, thats odd. I have my sig filled out. It shows in the first post but not in the second. I figured that fitting was where a boost elbow would go, but figured if a boost elbow would work then plugging the end of that line would too. Maybe I'm just maxed out on fuel until I get a chance to get an airdog or FASS put in, or maybe I just didn't plug the line well enough. I just shoved a bolt in the end of the rubber line (fit tightly) and took it on the hwy for a few then changed everything back when I saw no increased boost. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I called the only local diesel performance shop to see if they might have a boost elbow and see about getting a FASS put in, but they told me to increase boost I had a change my turbo. That combined with the fact that they were going to order the edge evolution for me, saying he had a guy with an 01 that ran it with his edge and loved it, tells me to stay far far away from there considering as far as I can tell they don't make an evolution for my truck.

Thanks for the replies guys. One more question, if this was your truck, weighing what mine weighs and pulling an 18k trailer, what size of injectors would you feel comfortable with considering I already have the Juice and Smarty stacked? I'm thinking some 75hp or so should make an improvement and still be fine?
oh sorry i guess i didnt see the sig the first time. By plugging the end of the line, you are omitting the wastegate, while with a boost elbow you arent. Technically, this process isn't raising boost or increasing it, it is giving you boost sooner by blocking the wastegate from opening too soon. The only way to gain alot of boost is to add more fuel, a bigger turbo is something that can handle the extra boost that you are then producing whereas your stock turbo is only operating efficiently under 32-35lbs of boost. I think some rv275's are good injectors considering your combo. However, i wouldnt start giving your truck any more fuel until you fix this fuel pressure problem. Stacking an evolution and juice would be pointless. The attitude adjusts timing and fuel while the evolution does timing, therefore you wouldnt see any gains. I dont even think its stackable. Best of Luck.
eric

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
-John DeereGreen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:

HA You better start saving for a FASS and a VP44 Inj. Pump before the **** hits the fan. :CHITFAN: Your on borrowed time my friend until the Inj. Pump ceases up from low fuel pressure. turn off your chips for now so you do have some better fuel pressure. VP44 is gonna run you $1,600 with all the upgrades and bosch factory warrantee. FASS is gonna run you around $500. I know "BEEN THERE, DONE BOTH"!!!!!! :
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedtofirst45
:Thumbup:

oh sorry i guess i didnt see the sig the first time. By plugging the end of the line, you are omitting the wastegate, while with a boost elbow you arent. Technically, this process isn't raising boost or increasing it, it is giving you boost sooner by blocking the wastegate from opening too soon. The only way to gain alot of boost is to add more fuel, a bigger turbo is something that can handle the extra boost that you are then producing whereas your stock turbo is only operating efficiently under 32-35lbs of boost. I think some rv275's are good injectors considering your combo. However, i wouldnt start giving your truck any more fuel until you fix this fuel pressure problem. Stacking an evolution and juice would be pointless. The attitude adjusts timing and fuel while the evolution does timing, therefore you wouldnt see any gains. I dont even think its stackable. Best of Luck.
eric

I'm not really trying to get a lot of boost, I'd just like to get max efficiency out of what I have. Right now 25-26 psi is max, and I figure considering from what I have read the HX35w is good for the 32-35 lbs I'd like to have it running around 32 lbs. If I'm thinking right, that should help keep my egt's lower plus give me a little more power? I'm really thinking I might need to check my gauge connections on the fuel pressure. Like I say those pressures have been like that for over 2 years, even after a new lift pump. My truck rolls tons of black smoke, which I would think means it's getting plenty of fuel? As far as the juice and evolution, I asked the guy at the diesel shop about it because I hear the ford guys are stacking them with great success.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdude2001
HA You better start saving for a FASS and a VP44 Inj. Pump before the **** hits the fan. :CHITFAN: Your on borrowed time my friend until the Inj. Pump ceases up from low fuel pressure. turn off your chips for now so you do have some better fuel pressure. VP44 is gonna run you $1,600 with all the upgrades and bosch factory warrantee. FASS is gonna run you around $500. I know "BEEN THERE, DONE BOTH"!!!!!! :
I appreciate your concern on the VP as I have been concerned about it myself for a while, however I get the old 'well it's still working after a couple of years" mentality and think the pressure my attitude shows either has to be incorrect, or that VP is one tough son of a gun. Considering I use my truck for work I really don't have the time to do anything about it right now, and if my VP does happen to die, well I can part with the $1600 or so and I won't have a choice but to make the time. After reading about FASS customer service I'm really leaning toward the airdog, which should happen within the next couple of months if I'm lucky and get a few days...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode