Biodiesel Apocalypse? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Smokem, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 756 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Biodiesel Apocalypse?

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/...ist/index.html

They make it sound like it's a bad thing...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 AM

I think its just the fact that he was stealing the grease. I'm surprised he didn't just go in and ask for it, they'd probably give it to him for nearly nothing. I'd be surprised if he was going to truck 300 gallons from Morgan hill to atascadero too, the cost in fuel wouldn't make it worth the trip or effort unless he did it with a lot more fuel than 300gallons. Was there anything more or just that short article?
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No that's what all I found. It kind of struck me wierd though because Burger King uses Hydronated Oils, I thought bio was impossible out of hydronated oils. It doesn't seem clear if he was pumping into his fuel tank or not. Just some entertainment for us I guess.

Salon.com has been attacking alternate fuels lately too. I kind of took the title as if were soon to be doomed by biodiesel.

Anyone attacking alternate fuels for whatever reason, can't see the forest through the trees.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:54 AM

You can make biodiesel from hydrogenated oil, it justs is sometimes solid at rooms temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
No that's what all I found. It kind of struck me wierd though because Burger King uses Hydronated Oils, I thought bio was impossible out of hydronated oils. It doesn't seem clear if he was pumping into his fuel tank or not. Just some entertainment for us I guess.

Salon.com has been attacking alternate fuels lately too. I kind of took the title as if were soon to be doomed by biodiesel.

Anyone attacking alternate fuels for whatever reason, can't see the forest through the trees.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Interesting I thought it was because it's impossible to Titrate because the hydrocarbon molecules are 1000 times more complex than regular oil and also causing it not to burn completely.
(Which is why hydogenated oil isn't exactly easy to digest in our bodies)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 PM

FYI, The Hydrogenation is a simple process of mixing water and oil together (with heat). The process is used to make product's like margine. Normally heat will not break this bond down, so it end's up acting like butter or lard, solid a low temp, and it still burns. Just a little trivia.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

FYI, There's more science to it than just water oil and heat in Hydrogenated oils.:

I've never heard of any recipe to make Biodiesel out of Hydrogenated oils. I probably shouldn't have said "impossible" because I didn't mean it literally. If your chemical engineer with way too much time on your hands you could pull it off.

Even then......saying we are all chemical engineers here, with way too much time on our hands. My bet is that the amount of acid would be different for each batch. Thus each batch would need Titration. Further adding to the pain in the ***** that is to making Biodiesel. Just a little trivia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode