02 just clicks when I try to start it - Page 2 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Seahawk, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 6196 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

omg .. I have some pretty distinct words I occasionaly use when I am dealing with something like this, however I will save you the honors ... I finally got the starter off, I was able to get at that top bolt from the top of enging bay, I laid an old blanket down and just laid across my valve cover. I had to reach down to the left side of the dip stick and was able to get the wrench on it, it takes quite a bit to loosen that top bolt, escpecially if your using a 10mm wrench which is kinda small and offers no real leverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I took the lid off the solenoid and the point that get's the ac direct was worn down pretty good and pretty dirty too. The contact surface area on the plunger was also worn and dirty. I will replace with the kit offered at

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/

At this point cleaning and reinstalling the starter may allow me to start the truck, but after all I went through to get the starter out, I will replace with new kit.

again ... I would like to say thanks to you guys for helping me out in diagnosing the problem.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to O2CUMMINS
let us know if it cured your problem. I find it easiest to reach the top bolt from under the truck using a 3/8 drive rachet, extension and 10mm shallow well socket.

2002 Cummins 24v 6speed Grandrock 6" Aussies, : ADRENALINE , BHAF with k&n intake tube, Autometer pyro, boost & Fuel pressure gauge, 100 HP sticks, FASS, new injection pump. Valair DD and 62/65/12 charger.

:smoke
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM

check battery connections, check your contact soleiniods, check your alternator, and starter...im sure its that...if you dont want your old starter use a soft hammer and look out
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey guys ... I replaced the contacts in the solenoid and re-installed the starter, which btw went in a heck of a lot easier then it came out. Truck started right up. Thanks for your help !! I'm back on the road again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode