02 just clicks when I try to start it - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Seahawk, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 6187 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

02 just clicks when I try to start it

Hi everyone

This is my first post here, so I appreciate this forum and your help. My 02 Diesel turns on, but when I try to crank it over the starter does not engage, I just hear a "click". I get the P PCU and P ECU and P done. I spent a lot of time going through the forums here to see if anyone else described this problem, but did not find anything. I love my diesel.. the only modifications are K&N air filter, and the first time my injector pump was changed out under warranty, the second time I paid through the nose..and apparently the dealer was fully aware of that problem, they put a pusher pump in my tank. I am mechanically inclined but dont know the details. I have a feeling it's the silonoid, but am not sure or even know what it looks like or where it's at. I really cant afford to tow it to the dealer and hopefully I can fix it myself. Thanks.. and sorry for the winded description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to O2CUMMINS
The most common problem with cummins starters is the solinoid contacts. They are easy to replace. You can order the contacts online @ Larry B's. There will be two contacts and a plunger in the package along with instructions. You just pull the starter off the truck and pull the solinoid cover off witch is held on by 3 5/16 bolts. The kit will run you apprx $50 after shipping. If you want a temporary fix, pull your starter, take off the solinoid cover and clean your contacts. This should work and save you from a towing bill.

2002 Cummins 24v 6speed Grandrock 6" Aussies, : ADRENALINE , BHAF with k&n intake tube, Autometer pyro, boost & Fuel pressure gauge, 100 HP sticks, FASS, new injection pump. Valair DD and 62/65/12 charger.

:smoke
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the advise.. I really appreciate it. I will pull the starter and clean the contacts as you perscribe. Then I will place my order for the new contacts @ larry b's.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Also check you batteries, sounds dumb, but mine did the same thing and changed them out, not a problem ever since. They were about 4 years old though.

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

last weekend I cleaned the battery terminals and looked at the battery indicators on the top. thier green. I'm assuming their good because of that and the fact that I have never had any problems with them, they are the original batteries though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Starter contacts are very common... You can get the rebuilt kit as NAPA fairly cheap...

But as for keeping the battery terminals clean it a MUST. I normally wash my engine bay everytime I wash the truck. Then put a light coating of engine oil over terminals. So far they still look factory freash and I still got the factory batteries 6 years later! :Thumbup:

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 AM

If what everybody else said doesn't help, which does sound like a contact, last fall my truck would turn on the acc. but when i tryed to start it, there was no sound at all. got the starter rebuilt, and cleaned bat. posts and nothing. found out the the fuseable link on my + cable fryed somehow, fixed that that it fired right up

2006 Chevy Duramax LBZ 4x4 2500 Regular Cab. 5inch exhaust,everything else is Bone Stock for now............................... SOLD......2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Regular Cab Cummins. Ats intake horn,Ats Exhaust Manifold, AFE stage II intake, Edge Comp, Superchip,FASS 95,Luk clutch(450),boost elbow,5in turbo back stait piped. silincer ring lost, 2in levelingkit 305/70/16 on 16-10.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks for all your input..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey guys .. so I've swapped out a few starters in my time, but I never had such a terrible time of it as I am with my "02". I am using 10mm on the two bottom bolts, these I was able to get to from under the truck, The bolt on top I can barely get a light on it and I cant fit my arm down there to get to it. I even had to lay on top of my enging to try... let alone wrench on it. Am I doing something wrong? I think there's 3 bolts altogether.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I checked out Larry B's site and he had some pretty nice info on removing the starter..

"This top bolt can be an SOB to get loose. The bolts are tight and there's not much room to work. I have found the best way is to put the wrench on the bolt then use a piece of wood and a small jack to lift up on the end of the wrench to break the bolt loose."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode