Is 24v 135k mile Cummins for $4500 a good Buy ? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Geomill, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 966 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Is 24v 135k mile Cummins for $4500 a good Buy ?

I'm in the market for a tow rig to pull my tractor aroud from job site to job site. I found a 1998 3500 Ram staandardcab dully with the 24V and automatic, 135K miles for $4500..A/C is locked up. I know there is alot of life left in the engine, and the transmissions are weak. The truck is straight but has a messed up interior and needs some work. Is this truck worth it? Can it be made reliable to tow heavy with? If I got the truck I would likely start modifying things to bring the engine to life. What are 1998 ram concerns? How much do transmission rebuilds cost for this truck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
BM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 AM

Pass. The truck blue books at $4600(FAIR)-$5800(EXCELLENT).

Put it this way- You will have no shortage of weekend projects ahead you if you buy it.......

A/C locked up= about $1300
New trans= about $2000
Batteries= about $200
Brakes= about $800 complete(It's a dually thing- they LOVE to charge you more)

You're now up to $8900- The impending repair work will probably be more than the truck cost you. And you haven't thrown in there all the fluid changes that I would do when you get it home..........

These trucks have come a long, long, long way in ten years. I would keep looking if you plan on using it for towing.:bolt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Alaskan Assassin

You can't go wrong with a 24v. Any truck with that many miles on it will have its own specific problems. Upgrade your fueling and you will have a hell of a puller with great mileage.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesie
Pass. The truck blue books at $4600(FAIR)-$5800(EXCELLENT).
Taking anything from a KBB is wasting your time. Back in 2005 they priced 1992 Dodge Vipers in Excellent Condition at 18g.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
A Slave To The Trade

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DZL BULL
kbb priced a 92 viper for 18K? wow i knew they could be a little off but thats rediculous. i ran my old 93 idi f250 thru there when it had 225000mi on it and its its fair condition and they said it was worth $8500. now i like that truck but i know id never get that for it when it comes time to trade it off or sell it. and that price was back in 06

New Ride: 2005 F-350, Long Bed, Single Cab, Single Rear Wheel, 6 Speed Handshaker Backed By A Set Of 3.73's Limited Slip, Fx4, Build Date: 12/11/04

Motor: Fumoto Drain Valve, DFUSER'S Coolant Filter, Zoodad Mod, CCV Re-routed Exterior: Chrome Door Handles, Recon's Smoked Cab Lights, Acetoned F-350 Badges, 08 Rear Diff Cover, Smoked 3rd Brake Light, Recon Line Of Fire
Exhaust: Factory Pipe w/ Cat and Muffler GoneInterior: ISSPRO EV2 Gauges Fuel, Pyrometer, and BoostPerformance: XCAL 3 Gone Looney Thanks to Vivian at Quick Tricks Performance

Old Faithful: '93 7.3 IDI w/ 5 speed, turbo'd with all 12lbs. of boost she can take. Straight piped and the fuel turned up just a little. Pyro and Boost gauge

Daily Driver: 91 Ford F-150 Single Cab Long Bed4X4, 5.0 w/E40D Rough Country Leveling Kit, K&N Air Filter, Delta Tool Box, Uniden Solara Marine Band CB, Custom Tuned Antanae, Pioneer Head Unit, Kenwood 6X9's Behind the Seat, Pioneer Door Speakers, Kicker Amp Pushing 3 10" MTX Audio Subs

Lush Elite# 16
B.O.M.B Squad# 1 - Better Off Modified Baby!!!
Singles Club# 99
Ridin' High# 10
Ridin' Dirty# 3 - It Takes Skill In A Single Cab
American Club# 12
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 AM

yea kbb is useless.. i own a 24v and it runs like a champ, as long as you keep up with your prevenative matenance everthing should be fine. our yr of automatics doesnt have the best transmissions, but unless you wanna go all speed racer pulling that tractor it should last you just fine. interiors on them wear bad anyways you get used to everything cracking or whateve. just drive with the windows down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode