what best and what do i need? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DZL BULL, this thread has received 22 replies and been viewed 1715 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
A Slave To The Trade

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DZL BULL
what best and what do i need?

hey cummins lovers i just got out of the ford business and purchased a 2001 3500 with 54000mi. on the odometer. since im a power hound some of yall throw some tips my way to make power. it already has a 4" exhaust kit from the turbo down to the 6" tip with a magnaflow (i plan to totally straight pipe it later) and a air intake system. other than that its totally stock. no chip or anyting. so stuff like what programmer to buy injectors and other sperformance products. thanx yall

:bow: CUMMINS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Welcome to the site! :Thumbup:

There is a lot of thing you can do to improve you performance of your truck. But I will warn you right now... Keep a close eye on your wallet these guys here can spend you money quick!

But I would suggest you fix the problemed things first before you start pouring power into it.

* Upgraded fuel system (Fuel lines and Pump)
* Gauges (Fuel pressure, Pyro, and Boost)
* Upgrade Trans (Auto - Valve Body and TQ converter, Manu - Clutch)

Then add you performance mods and bombs...:Thumbup:

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
A Slave To The Trade
Threadstarter

Garage
ok pretty basic stuff. thats what i did with my 01 powerstroke. now i had a dp tuner in my ford. their like top shelf programmers and the ford diesel communitty swears by them. whats available for my truck that is of the same caliber and performance potential?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Welcome to the site! :Thumbup:

There is a lot of thing you can do to improve you performance of your truck. But I will warn you right now... Keep a close eye on your wallet these guys here can spend you money quick!

But I would suggest you fix the problemed things first before you start pouring power into it.

* Upgraded fuel system (Fuel lines and Pump)
* Gauges (Fuel pressure, Pyro, and Boost)
* Upgrade Trans (Auto - Valve Body and TQ converter, Manu - Clutch)

Then add you performance mods and bombs...:Thumbup:

yep, get the fuel pressure guage 1st, if the pressure drops too low the injection pump goes, to keep the fuel pressure up get a air dog fuel pump with filter water separator and larger lines., Pyro guage, Trans is then the weak link see above as minimum necessary improvement. then power, that is the need order of growth. Ed
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Singles Club #2

Send a message via AIM to smokndiesel7588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull hauler30
ok pretty basic stuff. thats what i did with my 01 powerstroke. now i had a dp tuner in my ford. their like top shelf programmers and the ford diesel communitty swears by them. whats available for my truck that is of the same caliber and performance potential?
My bud has a Smarty in his..not sure of HP gain with it..but it was much better than stock..He is now getting the new Quadzilla Adrenaline (180hp..420 ft-lbs) and stacking it with the smarty..he also has 200 hp injectors which woke it up nicely too :Thumbup:

Greg
My Truck- '02 Dodge Ram 2500 QCLB...ISSPRO Gauges...110hp DDP Injectors...Smarty..TST Comp..Pro52 turbo..BHAF...4" Turbo back to single 8" mitre...converted to NV5600 with SB Street DD

Bro's Trucks- 97 Dodge Ram 2500 5spd 12V...DDP 90hp Injectors...Half-Cut DV's..0 Plate...starwheel turned..kdp & 5th gear fix...17.5deg timing...SB Feramic 13" clutch

96 Dodge Ram 2500 12V XCLB...auto...2wd...SOLD
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
GOS

2nd Gen Mods

Start with guages, and include fuel pressure. After guages you will then know you fuel pressures. I recommend just getting the pump FASS or Raptor, because the stock campaign pump is going to fail, I guarantee it. At that point you can decide wich route to go. If you skip the trans and just go for the power, just know that it's gonna eventually going to become an issue. The Edge Juice attitude is great on these trucks, and it also comes with fuel pressure. Programmer wise the Smarty is always good. If you start diving into injectors you also open up the fact that the turbo probably isn't going to support the airflow required to keep the engine cool, but it all depends on how much injector. Address the weak links first and then have fun. Great truck to play with.

Contact 1-800-620-4467
Fax 1-406-222-4926
[email protected]

GOS Performance, Livingston, Mt. Wholesale distributor for Edge, Superchips, SCT, Quadzilla, Smarty, Diablo, Dr Performance, Bully Dog, MBRP, Magnaflow, aFe, S&B, Industrial Injection, High Tech Turbos, BD Diesel, ATS Diesel, SunCoast, South Bend Clutch, Haisley Machine, ARP, DiPricol, Autometer, Revtek, Superlift, Rancho, ProFab, Destroked Conversions, family owned and operated since 1994. Dealer Inquiries welcome.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
A Slave To The Trade
Threadstarter

Garage
thanks for the advice guys. this truck is so cherry i wouldnt want to blow it up before i get to really enjoy it. i knew to get a fass first. i had one on my powerstroke and liked it so ill go with one for my cummins. so im pretty sure ill go with a smarty programmer. these have custom files right? excuse the ignorance here but im new to the dodge world
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM
GOS

They Smarty doesn't have custom tuning. They are always revamping there tuning so it's a matter of checking out their site periodically and checking for updates or changes in programming. Hope this helps but the Smarty is awesome.

Contact 1-800-620-4467
Fax 1-406-222-4926
[email protected]

GOS Performance, Livingston, Mt. Wholesale distributor for Edge, Superchips, SCT, Quadzilla, Smarty, Diablo, Dr Performance, Bully Dog, MBRP, Magnaflow, aFe, S&B, Industrial Injection, High Tech Turbos, BD Diesel, ATS Diesel, SunCoast, South Bend Clutch, Haisley Machine, ARP, DiPricol, Autometer, Revtek, Superlift, Rancho, ProFab, Destroked Conversions, family owned and operated since 1994. Dealer Inquiries welcome.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
A Slave To The Trade
Threadstarter

Garage
ok somehow i had a hunch smarty already had pre-programmed files on them. whats a programmer with custom files then? im looking for one because i can cater my programmer to the mods im going to make to my truck like injectors turbo upgrades etc.. and get exactly what i want weather it be power or with bigger injectors turn down the fuel to get increased mpgs and not just have a programmer that covers everything in a general sense and not be programmed specifically for the mods on my truck
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:06 AM

smarty is a good programmer but if stack with a drag comp it can take power away. on my truck it did. driving down the road didnt feel like it but on the dyno the smarty robbed 70hp from my truck. many of the guys around here sold theres for that reason. the smarty is only about a 65hp programmer.

if you want 500hp then you need quadzilla adreinaline or hot juice/drag comp, fass or air dog, injectors 150hp+, 64mm or 66mm turbo and some transmissions mods

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode