New Tranny! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jeffybuilt, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 842 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia

New Tranny!

I got the truck back today and it's awesome! Just really happy to be out of that honda civic! One question though...I hooked up my tranny temp gauge, and when test driving the truck, the gauge wouldnt go above the 100 degree mark, which is what it starts on...I didnt drive it for that long, maybe 20 minutes or so. Is it possible that with it being cold outside, new fluid and a clean and flushed system the fluid isnt even getting over 100 degrees? I will be back on the highway with it sunday, so we'll see than, but I was wondering if anyone has some common temps they can tell me. Thanks.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffybuilt View Post
I got the truck back today and it's awesome! Just really happy to be out of that honda civic! One question though...I hooked up my tranny temp gauge, and when test driving the truck, the gauge wouldnt go above the 100 degree mark, which is what it starts on...I didnt drive it for that long, maybe 20 minutes or so. Is it possible that with it being cold outside, new fluid and a clean and flushed system the fluid isnt even getting over 100 degrees? I will be back on the highway with it sunday, so we'll see than, but I was wondering if anyone has some common temps they can tell me. Thanks.
Yes it's possible. Check your fluid make sure it's ok and temp sending unit, etc. Alot of people on here with good rebuilds swear their temps can't even get close to 200.

"some people do, some people talk."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Garage
it depends on where your probe is. mine is in my hotline so I can see temps coming right out of the converter. The probe in the pan can be deceiving as your getting temps after the fluid has gone through the coolers. If thats where your probe is then it will take a while to build up heat to there. Even with my probe I see driving temps of 130-145 only time it gets above that is when the converter is not locked

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter

Ok, thanks. My probe is in the rear pressure test port. I read that the test port temps are usually around 20-30 degrees hotter than in pan readings, and generally in pan readings are 60-80 degrees above ambient temperature, so if its 15 degrees here now, than under light driving and short distance, my temp should be around 95-100 degrees or so....Like I said, I will have it out on the highway for a few hundred miles again tomorrow, so I'll see what it does.

Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

(269) 663-8571
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Ghost

Quote:
Ok, thanks. My probe is in the rear pressure test port. I read that the test port temps are usually around 20-30 degrees hotter than in pan readings, and generally in pan readings are 60-80 degrees above ambient temperature, so if its 15 degrees here now, than under light driving and short distance, my temp should be around 95-100 degrees or so....Like I said, I will have it out on the highway for a few hundred miles again tomorrow, so I'll see what it does.
You have in a test port? Not sure about that one.

You want it in the pan, the fluid in the pan is the stuff that is about to be sent to the transmission. Who told you put it in a test port?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post

You want it in the pan, the fluid in the pan is the stuff that is about to be sent to the transmission. Who told you put it in a test port?
Thats always been my line of thinking too. I know coming right out of the converter gives you the highest temp, but in the pan like you said, is what is getting sucked up into the trans.

Driving around on the highway, with mine in the pan, on a cool night, i.e. 45* or so I'm only at around 125* on my gauge, even on a 6hr trip.
Sean
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post

thats where edge has you put it in their install manual for the juice.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01quadcab View Post
thats where edge has you put it in their install manual for the juice.
Interesting............

I guess they probably just do that because it's easier than figuring something out with your pan or case.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter

I was going to put it in the pan, but the place that did my tranny said they would rather put it in the test port than drill the stock pan...I would have sprung for a deep pan with port, but after $3000 of unexpected tranny bills, I was kind of limited...I think when I have the $$ I will get a deep pan, put the probe in there, and seal off the test port again...anyway, that will be a few months down the road, so I'll see how this works out for now. Thanks guys.

Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

(269) 663-8571
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Ghost

Quote:
I was going to put it in the pan, but the place that did my tranny said they would rather put it in the test port than drill the stock pan...I would have sprung for a deep pan with port, but after $3000 of unexpected tranny bills, I was kind of limited...I think when I have the $$ I will get a deep pan, put the probe in there, and seal off the test port again...anyway, that will be a few months down the road, so I'll see how this works out for now. Thanks guys.

I wouldn't worry too much about your temp it's just interesting where the temp gauge is at. It should be fairly accurate.

I've seen people try and make their own drain plug and/or temp probe in stock pans it doesn't work to well. So you did the right thing.

In the future if you want make a interesting,informative thread. Get one of those pans with a place for the temp sending unit. And tell us what the difference in readings are. I'm curious to know what the difference would be, if any.

Last edited by Phily; 01-25-2009 at 07:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phily For this addition to TDG:
Jeffybuilt (01-25-2009)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode