New Tranny! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jeffybuilt, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 842 times.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
 
Jeffybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Liberty, IN
Posts: 651
Points: 22,275
Thanks: 162
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts


New Tranny!

I got the truck back today and it's awesome! Just really happy to be out of that honda civic! One question though...I hooked up my tranny temp gauge, and when test driving the truck, the gauge wouldnt go above the 100 degree mark, which is what it starts on...I didnt drive it for that long, maybe 20 minutes or so. Is it possible that with it being cold outside, new fluid and a clean and flushed system the fluid isnt even getting over 100 degrees? I will be back on the highway with it sunday, so we'll see than, but I was wondering if anyone has some common temps they can tell me. Thanks.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member


Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Jeffybuilt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Ghost
 
Phily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 628
Points: 36,147
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffybuilt View Post
I got the truck back today and it's awesome! Just really happy to be out of that honda civic! One question though...I hooked up my tranny temp gauge, and when test driving the truck, the gauge wouldnt go above the 100 degree mark, which is what it starts on...I didnt drive it for that long, maybe 20 minutes or so. Is it possible that with it being cold outside, new fluid and a clean and flushed system the fluid isnt even getting over 100 degrees? I will be back on the highway with it sunday, so we'll see than, but I was wondering if anyone has some common temps they can tell me. Thanks.
Yes it's possible. Check your fluid make sure it's ok and temp sending unit, etc. Alot of people on here with good rebuilds swear their temps can't even get close to 200.

"some people do, some people talk."
Phily is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shingletown ca
Posts: 1,189
Points: 51,326
Thanks: 4
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Garage
it depends on where your probe is. mine is in my hotline so I can see temps coming right out of the converter. The probe in the pan can be deceiving as your getting temps after the fluid has gone through the coolers. If thats where your probe is then it will take a while to build up heat to there. Even with my probe I see driving temps of 130-145 only time it gets above that is when the converter is not locked

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
01quadcab is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter
 
Jeffybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Liberty, IN
Posts: 651
Points: 22,275
Thanks: 162
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts


Ok, thanks. My probe is in the rear pressure test port. I read that the test port temps are usually around 20-30 degrees hotter than in pan readings, and generally in pan readings are 60-80 degrees above ambient temperature, so if its 15 degrees here now, than under light driving and short distance, my temp should be around 95-100 degrees or so....Like I said, I will have it out on the highway for a few hundred miles again tomorrow, so I'll see what it does.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member


Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Jeffybuilt is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Ghost
 
Phily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 628
Points: 36,147
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffybuilt View Post
Ok, thanks. My probe is in the rear pressure test port. I read that the test port temps are usually around 20-30 degrees hotter than in pan readings, and generally in pan readings are 60-80 degrees above ambient temperature, so if its 15 degrees here now, than under light driving and short distance, my temp should be around 95-100 degrees or so....Like I said, I will have it out on the highway for a few hundred miles again tomorrow, so I'll see what it does.
You have in a test port? Not sure about that one.

You want it in the pan, the fluid in the pan is the stuff that is about to be sent to the transmission. Who told you put it in a test port?

"some people do, some people talk."
Phily is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
sstockton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,514
Points: 69,919
Thanks: 3
Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post
You have in a test port? Not sure about that one.

You want it in the pan, the fluid in the pan is the stuff that is about to be sent to the transmission. Who told you put it in a test port?
Thats always been my line of thinking too. I know coming right out of the converter gives you the highest temp, but in the pan like you said, is what is getting sucked up into the trans.

Driving around on the highway, with mine in the pan, on a cool night, i.e. 45* or so I'm only at around 125* on my gauge, even on a 6hr trip.
Sean
sstockton is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shingletown ca
Posts: 1,189
Points: 51,326
Thanks: 4
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post
You have in a test port? Not sure about that one.

You want it in the pan, the fluid in the pan is the stuff that is about to be sent to the transmission. Who told you put it in a test port?
thats where edge has you put it in their install manual for the juice.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
01quadcab is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Ghost
 
Phily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 628
Points: 36,147
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01quadcab View Post
thats where edge has you put it in their install manual for the juice.
Interesting............

I guess they probably just do that because it's easier than figuring something out with your pan or case.

"some people do, some people talk."
Phily is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter
 
Jeffybuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Liberty, IN
Posts: 651
Points: 22,275
Thanks: 162
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts


I was going to put it in the pan, but the place that did my tranny said they would rather put it in the test port than drill the stock pan...I would have sprung for a deep pan with port, but after $3000 of unexpected tranny bills, I was kind of limited...I think when I have the $$ I will get a deep pan, put the probe in there, and seal off the test port again...anyway, that will be a few months down the road, so I'll see how this works out for now. Thanks guys.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member


Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Jeffybuilt is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Ghost
 
Phily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 628
Points: 36,147
Thanks: 22
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffybuilt View Post
I was going to put it in the pan, but the place that did my tranny said they would rather put it in the test port than drill the stock pan...I would have sprung for a deep pan with port, but after $3000 of unexpected tranny bills, I was kind of limited...I think when I have the $$ I will get a deep pan, put the probe in there, and seal off the test port again...anyway, that will be a few months down the road, so I'll see how this works out for now. Thanks guys.

I wouldn't worry too much about your temp it's just interesting where the temp gauge is at. It should be fairly accurate.

I've seen people try and make their own drain plug and/or temp probe in stock pans it doesn't work to well. So you did the right thing.


In the future if you want make a interesting,informative thread. Get one of those pans with a place for the temp sending unit. And tell us what the difference in readings are. I'm curious to know what the difference would be, if any.

"some people do, some people talk."

Last edited by Phily; 01-25-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Phily is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phily For this addition to TDG:
Jeffybuilt (01-25-2009)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tranny rebuild kits! need help asap tranny is shot...f'in dodge auto trans blksmk 5.9L Cummins 12 Valve (1994-1998.5) 5 12-26-2008 10:55 PM
tranny getting hot dangerous196 5.9L Cummins 12 Valve (1994-1998.5) 3 05-12-2007 04:39 AM
What tranny to get TimMiller 1994-2003 7.3L Power Stroke 7 04-29-2006 02:24 AM
Tranny? Smokin Joe 2003-2007 6.0L Power Stroke 16 04-28-2006 03:01 PM
Which tranny PSmokinD 1994-2003 7.3L Power Stroke 35 02-18-2006 02:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome