Looking at a 24v and have some questions! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KyleJ, this thread has received 25 replies and been viewed 1958 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Looking at a 24v and have some questions!

Hey guys, been out of the diesel stuff for a while now but I have found a deal locally that seems pretty good. Found an '00 Auto 24v with a tick under 200k on it for 6 grand, truck looks like brand new inside and out, huge stack of papers for all work done on the truck. Stock other than exhaust, some BANKS coolers, gauges and a built tranny. EC SB truck in white/silver.

My questions are, what should I look for as common problem area's? Test drove the truck and the steering was kind of floaty but every dodge I've ever owned was like that. Ran great, no tranny slipping, builds boost nicely, never had a programmer or a chip on it, stock injectors and the works. One owner truck and I am buying it from the first owner.

I will be doing a programmer on it and to be honest, I really really really like the smoke. I do want it to be safe however. I have heard good things about Edge and Smarty, but I really have no idea on what kind of programmer or chip I want to run. I must have on the fly, in cab adjustments and something that will say "Hey, ****'s about to break if you don't pay attention" would be nice too.

The truck will get a leveling kit with 35's probably, and a custom sound system. It's going to have to haul a car trailer, daily drive, and have enough ponies to take out the local honda scene. Any information will be helpful, and I will update this thread with questions as I go!

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM

my buddy has tst stacked with edge and it always ran good. the edge is for timing and the tst is for fueling. i know he leaves the edge on one level at all times and the tst is adjustable in cab. and his truck always smoked good with that combo.

another one of my buddies has the edge juice with attitude and it woke the truck up alot. his lift pump is going so it doesn't smoke that much but i jave seen them lay down some coal. and the nice thing about that one is it monitors everything on the screen. i like the look of the gauges myself.

i know someone with a smarty on a common rail which really doesn't help you because you have the 24v but i will say it does make some power.

last one. another buddy is running just the tst and truck makes some good power. truck is quick and also lays down coal. hope this helps you with you power adding.

the biggest problem that i know of with the cummins is the injection pump getting starved. so i would say maybe a secondary lift pump would be something i looked into once you start adding power mods so if the ones weak you have a back up. good luck with it if you buy it and post some pics of it

'07 F350 dually 6spd manual trans, custom EGR delete, sct tune by the wonderful DJ, 4 pillar gauge pod with oil press., fuel press., boost and pyro, aFe intake with proguard 7 filter, arp headstuds, 29" hadley air horns, 15% tint all around with 10" eyebrow on windshield, 6" superlift lift kit, dual steering stabilizers, 5" mbrp straight pipe, 35"x12.5" cooper stt tires
The Following User Says Thank You to blizzardplower For this addition to TDG:
KyleJ (03-31-2009)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM

I'll have to agree with blizzard. The stock lift pumps in these trucks are junk. It will go bad. I'd go with a FASS or Airdog lift pump right away especially if you are going to do a chip.

Also, what gauges does it have? You probably want to have trans temp, EGT, Boost, and Fuel psi.

As far as chips/programmers, for on the fly, a Smarty won't do on the fly. Edge make some good products, if you're going to be running gauges, I'd go with the Edge Comp. It's basically the same timing/fueling as the juice w/attitude, you just don't get the monitor with the gauges built in.

Hope this helps.

2004 Silverado 2500 LLY Duramax
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboytw13 For this addition to TDG:
KyleJ (03-31-2009)
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys! Yeah after spending a couple hours researching last night I think the Edge Comp box is going to be what I will set up first, and after that maybe stack it with a smarty? The truck recently had a new lift pump put in (~25k miles ago) but I am fairly certain that I will be adding a secondary (pusher style? does that sound right?) pump to help with the increased fuel.

Going a long with my sickness of smoke, I have looked up some videos that include a 'smoke switch' and basically what I gather from that is it grounds the signal from the MAP sensor to the ECU and tricks the ecu into fueling more at a lower RPM?

I am going to look at the truck today or tomorrow for the second time and I will report back to ya'll with pictures so I can get some better opinions.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM

I am running a Edge Drag comp in mine, and it will lay down some smoke, if wanted. All I have in mine is the Edge drag comp and injectors. Suppose to be something like a 50 or 60 horsepower injector. I like mine as it sits, but have thought about a smarty stack on it.

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What is the difference between the Comp box and the Drag Comp box?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Official TDG Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJ View Post
What is the difference between the Comp box and the Drag Comp box?
More Fuel at higher RPMs...and you'll need more then a 'pusher pump' b/c after a while when the Stocker dies the pusher still wont be enough, a full replacement pump (i.e. FASS or PureFlow Tech)...

Nate

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM

You will definitely need a aftermarket pump. I personally would go with the airdog because it is quieter than the fass and just as good if not better. You are going to be looking at almost $500 for that and in my opinion is the most essential.
Also cycle the key to on 3 times leaving it at on on the third time. This will bring up the codes. There is a good chance if he already had to replace the stock lift pump that the injection pump is going. If you have the 0216 code that means your vp44 ip is going and that pump cost's around $1000. Also that sloppy steering is most likely from the balljoints being bad unless he replaced them. The oem bj's rarely are any good past 80k, with 200k it is almost gauranteed that they are done for.

01 2500, quad cab, 2wd, auto, 132k, turbo rebuilt good as new by htt , and 0216 code for 1 1/2 years now. Airdog 100 fuel system after 3 stock lift pumps.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Where will it bring up the codes at? I am rather confused with that.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Official TDG Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas42 View Post
You will definitely need a aftermarket pump. I personally would go with the airdog because it is quieter than the fass and just as good if not better. You are going to be looking at almost $500 for that and in my opinion is the most essential.
Also cycle the key to on 3 times leaving it at on on the third time. This will bring up the codes. There is a good chance if he already had to replace the stock lift pump that the injection pump is going. If you have the 0216 code that means your vp44 ip is going and that pump cost's around $1000. Also that sloppy steering is most likely from the balljoints being bad unless he replaced them. The oem bj's rarely are any good past 80k, with 200k it is almost gauranteed that they are done for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJ View Post
Where will it bring up the codes at? I am rather confused with that.
you turn the key to on 3 times w/n 5 seconds and codes will appear in the Odometer...however it may not show all the codes and the VP rarely throws a code...I would recomend checking the FP before buying it...

Nate

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode