Raptor and Draw Straw 2 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rwhite, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2233 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Raptor and Draw Straw 2

I will be getting a Raptor 150 shortly and was wondering if the draw straw 2 is necessary or just helpful to operation? Thanks. Also, looking at the Raptor install instructions, do you have to drop the tank to hook up the lines?

'99 2500 4X4 5spd 104K miles Ext Cab, longbed, Banks exhaust, Exhaust Brake, BHAF, comp, Raptor 150, gauges, 100 hp sticks.

#23 B.O.M.B. Squad[/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM

The problem with the stock sending units are that the lines are very small. I'm sure you could use them and get away with it...but all you're doing is starving the fuel pump. You will defiantly pick up more fuel with the draw straw. As far as having to drop the tank, if you're going to put in the draw straw, then yes. Either that or lift off the bed.

2004 Silverado 2500 LLY Duramax
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Official TDG Doctor

Unless your going for A LOT of fuel then the Draw Straw is completly unessasary...and its a PITA to get to the bottom of the tank and you gotta worry about running low on fuel...and no you do not have to drop the tank to install the Raptor...you'll like it, i like mine a lot!

Nate

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by hccumminssmoke View Post
Unless your going for A LOT of fuel then the Draw Straw is completly unessasary...and its a PITA to get to the bottom of the tank and you gotta worry about running low on fuel...and no you do not have to drop the tank to install the Raptor...you'll like it, i like mine a lot!

Nate
Hmmm... That's odd... I can get down to close to the empty mark and trip the LOW FUEL light...

It all about how you install it and how you drive. If you drive around with a heavy foot and sloosh the fuel around of course your going to have issues with it sucking air. But trip the LOW FUEL light and drive mellow and you can pull way down. The other half is being smart about installing the straw make sure you get it as close to the bottom of the tank. But also remember the weight of the fuel will pull the bottom of the tank down opening a gap but this gap will narrow as the the fuel is consumed.

But I don't think you need to worry about adding a DrawStraw for the Raptor since the flow rate is matched to your load since there is no return line to the tank.

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopar1973Man For this addition to TDG:
rwhite (04-02-2009)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Official TDG Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Hmmm... That's odd... I can get down to close to the empty mark and trip the LOW FUEL light...

It all about how you install it and how you drive. If you drive around with a heavy foot and sloosh the fuel around of course your going to have issues with it sucking air. But trip the LOW FUEL light and drive mellow and you can pull way down. The other half is being smart about installing the straw make sure you get it as close to the bottom of the tank. But also remember the weight of the fuel will pull the bottom of the tank down opening a gap but this gap will narrow as the the fuel is consumed.

But I don't think you need to worry about adding a DrawStraw for the Raptor since the flow rate is matched to your load since there is no return line to the tank.
Yea, thats true...I know of a way to get it down on the bottom perfect!!!! but like you said if it sloshes and its low thats not a good combo...

Nate

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode