Help, no start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by moosetooth, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 808 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Help, no start

I've been all over the web trying to get my 00 24v cummins dodge running again and am at the end of my rope. Ran fine til I changed the fuel filter. No start after. Bought and installed a FASS DDRP lift pump and it seems to be working as it should. I cracked the fuel lines at the injectors and there is fuel getting to there. Does that mean my injector pump is OK? I've already replaced the injector pump once and hope like h**l it isn't that again. That work was done by local Cummins dealer about 25k miles ago.

I've seen similar posts about no start after filter change and 90% of the people trying to help lead toward getting all the air out of the lines. Seen a few references to the fuel shutoff solenoid but despite my best efforts I can't even tell if my model/year has such a solenoid much less where it is located...Would I be correct in assuming that if the shutoff solenoid were bad it would not be letting me see fuel at the injectors?

Reading the codes thru the odometer shows me a p1693 (companion code) and contrary to what I've read from Moparman1973's posts I do not get a further reading on the odometer. Just goes back to showing mileage after one "p-done". I have an obdII scanner and it shows me no fault codes.

I have kept my batteries charged thru all my attempts to start and have even had a second vehicle jumped to the truck while trying to start so I don't think low voltage is an issue.....Starter spins it like a top, sounds like it wants to fire but doesn't.

Appreciate any help. BTW the FASS DDRP was a little problematic. The factory fuel line has a pretty heavy duty bracket molded onto it that I had to grind off before I could bolt the line up to the inlet side.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 01:51 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
P1693 code means there is more codes present in one of the computers (P PCU or P ECU). This code cannot exist by itself. I bet your seeing the P PCU and not P ECU...

PCU - Powertrain controller Unit (controls all transmission, alternator and cab functions)
ECU - Engine Controller Unit (Controls all engine functions)

Here try the re-prime...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c...prime-fuel.htm

Here is the write up again with the video...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c...rror-codes.htm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 04:02 AM

Did you change the stock filter and then have the issue? You could have knocked the clip on one of the wiring connectors above it. If those clips are just a little bit loose, it will result in the truck not firing. It will crank and crank all day, but never go. I'd check those really well, make sure they're locked.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I bled the line again. Lotsa fuel present. Again, does having fuel at the injectors mean the injector pump is ok?
Tried reading the codes thru the odometer again too. Same results, p1693 pdone, then reverts back to the odometer.
Checked all the electrical connectors I could see too. There is one odd connector just hanging loose down by the lift pump. It has a cap on it so I suspect it is for a diagnostic tool. Anybody familiar with this?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Success! Thanks everyone, finally got it started. Took NUMEROUS attempts to get the air bled out. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetooth View Post
I bled the line again. Lotsa fuel present. Again, does having fuel at the injectors mean the injector pump is ok?
Tried reading the codes thru the odometer again too. Same results, p1693 pdone, then reverts back to the odometer.
Checked all the electrical connectors I could see too. There is one odd connector just hanging loose down by the lift pump. It has a cap on it so I suspect it is for a diagnostic tool. Anybody familiar with this?
Sorry to say but P1693 cannot exist alone... You most likely seeing the P-PCU (Powertrain Controller Unit) on the firewall but not seeing the P-ECU (Engine Controller Unit) on the engine block.

Here is a thread I got over at CF.com

Quote:
I'm going to point out to everyone there is NO WAY to have just a P1693 code present during error code dumping. Yes the P1693 is a companion code and has no really meaning but...

"This code indicates there is more code present in the other computer" So if the P1693 is in the P PCU that means there is more codes present in the P ECU. So if there is a P1693 in the P ECU that means there is more codes present in the P PCU. Then even in rare cases seeing the P1693 code in both computers pointing out that both computers have codes. But there is NO WAY for the P1693 to be the only codes present during error code dump. It's totally impossible!

The reason I'm posting this is because it seem like everyone is cancelling out at the first P DONE thinking its done. WRONG! There is TWO computers in the truck.

P PCU = Powertrain Controller Unit (Passenger side firewall)
P ECU = Engine Controller Unit (Driver side of engine block)

You should always see both P PCU and P ECU displayed and 2 P DONE's in the display. If you want to see a video of this and how to properly do it please reffer to my web site and watch the video I produced so you can give us acurrate information on your problems your having with your truck.

Here is the page with the video of how its done...
OBD II Error Codes

Now the other thing is alot of people are getting error code from OBD II sites or from manuals with the scanners. I'll point out that any code over P1000 is a manufacture specific code that only applies to the that make and model of vehicle so please refer to a proper Factory service manual and get the proper codes. I've got some books listed on my site provided by PDFTown.com

Download PDF Dodge Ram 2001 Service Manual | PDFTown.com

As for 2nd Gen 24V error codes I copied the error code listing straight out of the Dodge FSM for our truck and made a short PDF file for viewing...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/pdf/error-codes.pdf

This will help us diagnose your problem quickly and properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode