LSD and me. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by n0ekt, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 683 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation LSD and me.

A couple of months ago, I changed out the front and rear differential oil. I used the recommended spec, sealed it back up, and... done.

Until today. I changed all of the brake rotors and drums, and while I was adjusting the shoes in the back, I noticed that when I spun one wheel, they both turned in the same direction. Having worked on a few old Broncos I used to own... this strikes me as odd. I was pretty sure they were supposed to turn in opposite directions. So, I start thinking about it and... lo and behold I clear enough dirt away to find the little tag on the bottom that says USE LIMITED SLIP DIFF LUBE ONLY. I'm an idiot, btw.

At this point, I know the obvious is probably to pump it out again and refill it with the correct lube, but, two questions for anyone who knows:

1.) Have I done any major damage running it that way for a few months? If so, what do I look for and what might I need to do to fix it? For what it's worth, I haven't actually 'noticed' any ill effects...but I'm not even sure how they would manifest honestly.
2.) Anyone here have an easily available reccomendation for the LSD rear diff lube?

You guys usually have the right answers to this kind of thing and have been a great resource and knowledge base, so I figured I'd throw this out there. As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 AM
TDG Mafia

The same thing happened with my dad's 1/2 ton Dodge. He changed the rear diff fluid and told me soon after he was hearing a strange whining noise. I drove the truck and heard it also. Both rear wheels also would only turn together in the same direction. The odd thing is, it has a lim slip in the rear, and he filled it with 100% limited slip fluid...I immediatly drained cleand out and refilled the rear diff with standard fluid and put in lim slip additive. The truck drives fine, and the whine is very subsided, but the oil I drained did have lots of metal in it. I will be changing it again here in a few weeks when I go back home, and inspecting it again.

Hopefully in your case, since you caught it quick also, the damage, if any, is very limited.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffybuilt For this addition to TDG:
n0ekt (12-06-2009)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
milkin cowboy

Send a message via AIM to MILKINGCOWBOY
The oil should be the same all you have to do is add the limited slip additive in, some trucks like more then what is called for some need less but ether way we are talking a small amount most cases should be under a quart maybe even a half pint depending on what rear you have. As far as damage I would say the only ill effect would be the limited slip not working with out the additive. But the clutches could still have enough on them for them to work for a little bit before you add new additive. But some one with more knowledge can chime in

2002 3500 6 speed ex. cab 4x4 custom flatbed farm truck 9,120 lbs. light weight ALL WAYS HAULIN HAY, CATTLE OR A-$-$!!!! BHAF,4" OPEN STACKS,EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE, AIR DOG II 100,SOUTH BEND CLUTCH
1982 IH Transtar Eagle 4370 turned up 400 Cummins big cam, straight 6" bull haulers one hell of a
Jake and 13 speed od

White 2-105 tractor with 354 Perkins
White 2-135 tractor with 478 White/Hercules

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

SUPPORT AMERICAS DAIRY FARMS

http://i17.tinypic.com/4u2drv8.jpg

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=137814954

The Following User Says Thank You to MILKINGCOWBOY For this addition to TDG:
n0ekt (12-06-2009)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thumbs up

Jeffybuilt, when you found the metal shavings, did you see them in suspension in the oil and just pump it out through the fill-hole, or did you remove the cover and see them in the bottom?

Just asking because I only pumped it out, and didn't see any, but don't want to miss anything...

You bring up another question though, one I'm still not clear on, I hear from different places that LSD's are supposed to always turn in the same direction when they're off the ground???

Milkingcowboy, yeah, I found the spec for the dana70 rear axle, it needs 8oz of additive.

Thanks all!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
TDG Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ekt View Post
Jeffybuilt, when you found the metal shavings, did you see them in suspension in the oil and just pump it out through the fill-hole, or did you remove the cover and see them in the bottom?

Just asking because I only pumped it out, and didn't see any, but don't want to miss anything...

You bring up another question though, one I'm still not clear on, I hear from different places that LSD's are supposed to always turn in the same direction when they're off the ground???

Milkingcowboy, yeah, I found the spec for the dana70 rear axle, it needs 8oz of additive.
I removed the cover and drained it all out, than hand cleaned everything inside. There was a significant amt. of metal in this one. It was mostly along the bottom and in beteween the clutches/gearing. I probably used 2 cans of contact cleaner and many, many rags.

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM

I changed my diff fluid with the lucas gear oil, plus I added the limited slip diff. addative. I haven't had any problems. Lucas is really good stuff, anyone that has LSD should put the addative in, even with the lucas. Lucas bottle said no addatives needed but the dodge LSD need the addative no matter what.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode