CAD working Backwards?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Copper, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1388 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

CAD working Backwards??

This is a strange one - I dropped my pickup off at a local shop a week ago to get the tranny flushed. While they were down there, they changed one line with a pinhole, and a power steering hose that was weeping. When I picked it up Friday after work, I noticed a rumble, and the "FWD" light was on, in 2-hi. So I stopped, and shifted it to 4-hi - and the light went out! I could spin the back wheels, so it definitely wasn't in 4. I can go back to 2-hi, and the transfer case shifts out, but the 4wd light comes on and the axle locks back up (you can feel it on the road)!! So I went to 4-lo, and sure enough, the light goes OUT and it's in 2wd.

So - The question is - what did they unhook and hook back up backwards?? I'd like to take it back to the guy and tell him to figure it out himself, but it snowed here this weekend, and I'm not sure I can get it back to the shop in 2wd......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
This is a strange one - I dropped my pickup off at a local shop a week ago to get the tranny flushed. While they were down there, they changed one line with a pinhole, and a power steering hose that was weeping. When I picked it up Friday after work, I noticed a rumble, and the "FWD" light was on, in 2-hi. So I stopped, and shifted it to 4-hi - and the light went out! I could spin the back wheels, so it definitely wasn't in 4. I can go back to 2-hi, and the transfer case shifts out, but the 4wd light comes on and the axle locks back up (you can feel it on the road)!! So I went to 4-lo, and sure enough, the light goes OUT and it's in 2wd.

So - The question is - what did they unhook and hook back up backwards?? I'd like to take it back to the guy and tell him to figure it out himself, but it snowed here this weekend, and I'm not sure I can get it back to the shop in 2wd......
I diffedently wouldn't be driving a Cummins around in snow with only 2wd. It sucks, I know. Who knows what the guy could have done. You still clearly have a issue w/ vaccum, but that's not saying it's your only issue. However. There is a easy rememdy for this to make sure it never happens again.

CAD DELETE.

Consider the following:

A. If you got 30 spline axle shafts which were found in many 98's and some 99's. You can get by w/ just replacing the long shaft w/ a upgraded chrom moly shaft. EMS sells this @ Ebay for $335.00

B. If you got a 00-02. You can hunt down a 32 Spline big shaft from a 2002, kind of hard to come by, however the ones I have come have only ran $50.00

C. Upgrade to 35 Splines (And locate a carrier). Chrom Moly 35 shafts run 585$. EMS gots this covered again for the 94-99 model years, while Dynotrac gots the 00-02 model years covered. Both exactly $585 which is a steal if you compare to other Dana 60 chrom moly shaft kits.

"C" can be taken a step farther if you want to convert your unit bearings to lock outs. But then you are getting over $2,000.

D. Lock your shift fork in the locked position or find a way to manually control it via cable or electric.

My theory on the matter is: You bought a 4x4, it's time to make it reliable. The CAD is without a doubt, the biggest cause of 4x4 malufunction in these. OEM fixes just repair vacuum lines, which in time will always root.

"some people do, some people talk."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Ghost

On a side note, I also recommend going to a LSD* or Locker** for the front carrier. These things do horrible offroad. Stiff, with most of the weight in the front end.

*True Trac is the only carrier I'd do up front. Any other LSD is going to loose the transparent feel.

**I would only do a selectable up front unless lock outs apply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Garage
I wonder if the vacuum hoses got put back on the wrong fittings. That would cause problems if they are installed correctly.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

D'oh! Flipped the vacuum lines back to correct where they go from the axle to the frame where they "helped" me and replaced them, all's good now. I'm used to bowtie frontend problems (even though I haven't owned one for years), I forgot these were vacuum both ways, I was thinking vacuum/spring, more like the actuator/spring Chevys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Ghost

Quote:
D'oh! Flipped the vacuum lines back to correct where they go from the axle to the frame where they "helped" me and replaced them, all's good now. I'm used to bowtie frontend problems (even though I haven't owned one for years), I forgot these were vacuum both ways, I was thinking vacuum/spring, more like the actuator/spring Chevys.
GM's front end problem include CAD problems, not to mention shafts and housing. . Unless you are talking about the K series trucks.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily View Post
GM's front end problem include CAD problems
More specifically the TLA.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
That was my thought on this... Vacuum line were hooked backwards...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode