Bear with me... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jeffybuilt, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 463 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia

Bear with me...

Ok...So I know we have had a few threads on "surging." I'm writing this one to put all my thoughts down and see what you guys think; maybe help point me in the right direction from where I am at now...here 'goes:
My truck is a 2000 and I have a Comp on it. I have been trying to track and trace this weird surging, semi-dead pedal for two months now.
With the box "on" it will, regularly (at least a few times a day, if not many) act like there is no throttle input for a split second while cruising. When it does this, say I'm driving at 55mph: It will feel like I let off the pedal a little bit...The RPM's stay the same, the Fuel Pressure is constant (I have a Raptor 150, 1/2 in line from tank all the way to IP) but the boost pressure drops. It feels like it is De-Fueling for a shift almost. Then it comes back on, and all is good...sometimes it happens just a few times, other times it will do this on and off for the length of the drive.

Monday, when leaving work, had the Comp on, and it was doing this constantly, and much worse than ever before. Went on for about 5 miles maybe...On/Off/On/Off, RPM constant, boost dropping.

Tuesday morning, drove 10 miles. Parked shut off engine. Restarted maybe 15 minutes later, and when I fired it up, the motor revved much higher than normal upon start up. The CEL came on. I scanned for codes, and got the 1693 (of course, pointing to the next one-) and the 1689 - No Comm between Inj. Pump and ECM. Also had an 0236, which I'm pretty sure was a stored code from the smoke switch being left in the wrong possition...

So, Since Tuesday morning, I have had the Edge turned Off, and the truck seems to run fine, no real noticable surging or De-Fueling. I have been reserching this till my eyes are dry, and have seen others get this code from the Comp via bad ground or exposed wire tap on the pump.

With the Edge OFF, does the electrical signal from the VP still run through the Edge and all its connections, or does it simply revert back to "stock?"

I am going to send my Comp in, but to totally disable it, do I need to remove all the wiring, or just unplug the box in the cab?

Am I on the right track? What else do I need to look at!? I replaced all battery terminal connections and my batteries have both been load tested and cleaned, as well as the grounds. I hate running this on stock mostly because of the loss of fuel economy without the Edge.

VP has roughly 130,000 or so miles, 2 cycle mixed every fill up. Fuel pressure is 17 idle, 15 WOT. Fuel filter/oil just changed, as I do both every 5,000 miles. Injectors are stock with 290,000 miles. The 1689 is what worries me, but I am hoping I have it narrowed down to the Edge. Please respond with ANYTHING that may help me track this down better! Thanks!

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Singles Club #2

Send a message via AIM to smokndiesel7588
i haven't been following all of the threads you've posted about surging...but when i had my 1689 code -No Comm between Inj. Pump and ECM, the local mechanic i go to thought there could be something wrong in the ECM...so he plugged the one from his truck into mine...but it still would surge...he ended up putting a new VP on mine at that point (which was warrantied since it had been less than a year (20k miles)). He had thought that it wasnt the VP just for the fact that it didnt have the VP death code and he had never had a VP go out that quickly before. Just my personal experience with that code

Greg
My Truck- '02 Dodge Ram 2500 QCLB...ISSPRO Gauges...110hp DDP Injectors...Smarty..TST Comp..Pro52 turbo..BHAF...4" Turbo back to single 8" mitre...converted to NV5600 with SB Street DD

Bro's Trucks- 97 Dodge Ram 2500 5spd 12V...DDP 90hp Injectors...Half-Cut DV's..0 Plate...starwheel turned..kdp & 5th gear fix...17.5deg timing...SB Feramic 13" clutch

96 Dodge Ram 2500 12V XCLB...auto...2wd...SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode