i have three questions/???? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by davidfast1, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 589 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

i have three questions/????

1. suspension, i had my truck checked out that i just got and they said it needs either a new gear box, or a new track/tie bar. When i drive the truck on the highway there is a little bit of play in the steering wheel, and it tends to wonder off on its own a little bit, im taking it to dodge tomorrow morning but dont want to pay for something thats not in this range of problems? so does this kinda sound right to you??

2. There seams to be a leak where the exhaust pipe hooks up to behind the turbo, but it looks the steam or exhaust type smoke, not much coming out but you can see it for sure, what could this be? i plan on replacing the exhaust in the future would this take care of that? again the leak looks like its coming from where the exhaust pipe ends and hooks up to the motor.

3. My cooling system, like i said im going to the dealership tomorrow but i just dont want to be sold on a bunch of service i will never see. When i drive on the highway at 80 MPH the engine temp gauge tends to wonder in between 190 and 240 degrees and it doesnt stay at a consistent temperature, and if i stop and let it cool down it goes to about 180. But when i get on it it goes up and down and all around, coolant maybe i dont know what do you think thankyou!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM

1) 98-02 is notorious for having horrible front end problems but some of this can be helped by a steering stabilizer and newer track bar. Mind you it wont fix it but it will help greatly. I know from experience when my ball joints were going out the door the problem got consistently worse. Just something to think about, Im sure they will check.

2) As far as the exhaust I would go to a muffler shop or something similar, your clamp may need replacing, I know mine was rusted to hell when I did my exhaust, and if its not your clamp then Im sure they can fix the problem.

3)I would check your coolant level and see if you are ok, the next thing to look into is a new thermostat. Honestly if you want Im sure you could do it yourself. If I remember right Moparman has a write up about it.

Hope this helps a little
The Following User Says Thank You to Carbur8tr For this addition to TDG:
davidfast1 (03-16-2010)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM

I agree but need to add onto #2 and #3.On mine all it was was the flange vibrated lose. need to check that, but if you are replacing exhaust wait to do it then.
As far as the temp, replace thermostat for starters and look at your radiator. where the overflow can is on the front it will become clogged with road grime, oil and grease. Take and powerwash the radiator out. they will do this at the dealership but charge 300-400 to do it.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

I have been told that this engine will last forever but that part of that is due to maintaing a steady and low temp. I would be worried if I had those numbers at 80 mph empty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode