VP44 cutaway and pictures - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tylerkck, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 4525 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

VP44 cutaway and pictures

See attached file.

I'm trying to figure out the path of the fuel flow within the VP44 injection pump (IP). I'm interested in the slight possibility of additional cooling for the IP. Does anyone have any other pics or drawings or diagrams they can upload?

I've done a bit of research on forums and I've talked to BlueChip at lengths. The VP44's computer sits on top of a heatsink or is integral to it, this is bolted to the IP housing, and the diesel fuel passing under the heatsink cools the computer. There is a vane pump at the inlet of the VP44. The "ww.chinahanji.com" drawing is helpful. I'm thinking the area directly beneath the computer, adjacent to the inlet and outlet ports is a cavity and inlet to the vane pump. The fuel enters the cavity thru the inlet port, the cavity is pressurized to 14 psi via overflow valve (or pressure release/check valve, whatever you want to call it) that is integral to outlet banjo bolt. A portion of the fuel is taken from the cavity by the vane pump and fed to the high pressure rotary section of the IP, the rest is returned to the tank thru the overflow valve. This flow of fuel, most of which is returned to the tank is what cools the computer. Does anyone know what the bottom the computer/heatsink looks like?- is it finned or flat? The smaller cavity that the heatsink/computer also covers is shown with what looks like a wire ribbon passing thru and has a seperate gasket. Does anyone know if this is also filled with fuel? Please, are there any VP44 guru's out there that can correct me?

Actually, the file I want to upload is a word file (.doc) with a few pics pasted in, it's 331 KB, I can't upload it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I initially thought the cavity under the computer/heat sink held the supply and return ports. Only the fuel inlet is connected to the cavity. The fuel enters this cavity makes direct contact with the computer heat sink and is forced thru the orifice ( http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...&albumid=17275 ) to the vane pump and to....take a look at the diagram. ( http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showth...sure-suggested...
) BlueChip has said that the majority of failed VP44s is due to failed computers (at least with the later versions). The computers fail because they get too hot and/or because of heat cycling, in particular the lead-free solder connections are weakened by this. Chip noticed (I don’t know how) that the temperature gets the hottest right after shutdown….makes sense, because no more fuel is flowing thru the pump for cooling….when the IP is not turning no fuel will pass thru it. Chip is currently working on two things to remedy this; one modification will allow fuel to flow thru the pump (just the heat sink cavity) even when the IP is not turning, the other will allow the lift pump (LP) to continue pumping (and circulate fuel thru the cavity) after the engine is shutdown until the pump is “cool enough”.

Chip has tested different solutions to this problem in the past. He’s spent over $10k trying to move the computer, but electrical interference put that solution to rest. He machined and bolted another heatsink to the top of the computer, actually I think he machined a whole new cover with integral heat sink….said the temps underhood are too high to do any good. I''m not clear on how or where he measures pump temps to test his solutions.

I asked Chip if the current solutions he’s working on include adding another outlet port to the cavity, but he stopped me there with proprietary. I believe that is a good solution, especially if you can add the port to the opposite side of the cavity….if it is feasible given the layout of the IP. I’m thinking you would attach a regulator on this added outlet port and maintain the cavity to say 17psi and use a higher flowing LP. I have an AirDog LP/filter assembly, I believe rated at 95 gph with big feed line, stock return line, not sure if I got a different pick-up. As it runs now, most of the LP flow is returned to the tank right from the pump exit, the fuel returned from the IP and injectors shouldn’t have change much, if at all, with the addition of the AirDog. Adding an outlet port with regulator to the cavity would allow much more of the LP flow to actually go to and cool the IP computer.

I've got great pics, diagrams, and cut aways of the VP44, but I have them all in a word file that is too large to upload, and I can't get the pics out of the word doc!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 AM

Hmm I wonder how hard it would be to design a pump with an external computer that would be relocated in the the truck or somewhere further away from the engine thus almost eliminating the heat problem.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM

If you email me the word document I can get the pictures out for you, correctly sized and saved separately as jpg images... they should be easy to upload at that point.

Email is: groemer at gmail dot com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode