The Diesel Garage banner

weird exhaust smell?

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jeephoarder 
#1 ·
does anyone know why my truck stinks like crap? it almost smells like moth balls or something to that effect.

i think its the catylitic converter. is that possible?

thanks
erik

#2 ·
Well take the converter off. I think your just a lil paranoid right now! But its ok :D

#3 ·
the "sweet" smell as i describe it is from a combination of the cat, and the super clean burn that the Cummins is able to achieve with the High pressure common rail injection system, i prefer that smell over what my duramax smelled like with the Cat in place..

FWIW my brothers LMM smells like nothing, you put your face squarely in front of the exhaust tip and you get nothing but warm air (i know theres CO2 and NOX in there) smells like nothing

Calm down Erik LOL your freakin out man, well unless you put mothballs in the fuel tank... :poke :happymugs

#4 ·
Im not freakin out. lol. im just wondering if the cat is making it smell that way.

if i get straight exhaust it will probably not smell the way it does now, right?

#5 ·
Correct, it will smell like a regular old diesel, and if you tune it it will smell like a smokey old big rig :Happymugs

#6 · (Edited)
LOL don`t worry , mine smell like /"$%?/ on cold start. Just smell it once your 5.9 is warmed up , it smells better. My 07.5 6.7 did smell the exact samething on cold start once I did the EGR and DPF delete.:thumbsup

Nice truck by the way! looks great! I just love long beds.

Reactions: ehopp88ss
#7 ·
thank you sir.

Correct, it will smell like a regular old diesel, and if you tune it it will smell like a smokey old big rig :Happymugs
ya ya ya!! thats what i want :happydance. the sweet smeellllllll. not the moth bally smell.

#8 ·
My 6.7 will burn your nose when it idles from the all the filtering when cold or in regen. :damnit Why didn't I buy a 5.9L :bang

#9 ·
;) you remind me a lot of things there.....my kids and wife were almost sick when my 6.7 was going into regen in town!!! The smell of burning fuel inside the cab was horrible while waiting at a traffic light :throwup

#10 ·
Its bout it not smell like that any more!:bluesbros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.