high boost - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wannadiesel, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 2152 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Points: 4,107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
high boost

I installed my edge w/ attitude this week and i hit 42 psi boost today! what gives? isnt this way too high? I also hit 1300 for egt only for a second though.
wannadiesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
PhilipR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Massillon, OH
Posts: 1,465
Points: 28,430
Thanks: 95
Thanked 166 Times in 142 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to PhilipR
If you got the fuel you can make the boost....I assume the edge has a boost fooler on it so the ECU doesn't back out.

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
PhilipR is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,134
Points: 15,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You could make that if you had a boost elbow or blocked off the wastegate.
imported_cummins_power is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Points: 40,647
Thanks: 1
Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I installed my edge w/ attitude this week and i hit 42 psi boost today! what gives? isnt this way too high? I also hit 1300 for egt only for a second though.
That is higher than you want. The small turbine housing makes it easy for the pressures and temperatures to get a little out of control. After 30-35psi you loose efficiency and may start to loose horsepower. 1300* is okay but not for more then a couple of seconds. You might want to set your backdowns lower

From what little experience I've had with the edge it seems that they are a little difficult to get to keep the boost below 40psi. Even if you set the max at 35psi it spikes up to 40 really quick, then goes back down to the set pressure :shrug:
Dual K20s is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Points: 1,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can go alot higher than 1300 degrees for a lot longer then you think...iv had my 2000 up to 1600 for about 13-14 seconds.. no problem just because your egts are at 1300 dosnt mean your pistons are that hot it takes some time for all that heat to absorb into your pistons thats why guys fry their motor pulling a trailer up a hill not going down the quarter mile...now as far as boost goes stock these trucks make 35 psi of boost so to say your loosing efficency at 30-35 pounds is far fetched i dont think cummins would put a turbo on their motors that would lose efficency at a boost level its allowed to make...i think after 40 psi your just blowing hot air and getting alot of drive pressure,over 45 and your asking for problems...(snaped turbo shafts)The egts numbers are only accurate when your probe is in the back of the manifold where the hottest cylenders are ...NOT IN THE DOWN PIPE...
ylo73z is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Points: 4,107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya its mounted on my manifold.

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/******dak/IMG_8089.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/******dak/IMG_8090.jpg[/IMG]
wannadiesel is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Points: 1,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well... then put the screws to it ...and dont be afraid of egts.....just dont tow when your in performance settings.....
ylo73z is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
Points: 1,033
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with banks six gun i hit 38-41 psi pretty regularly at around 1100-1150. max egt recorded is just over 1200. havent towed thru mountains with it yet but have towed a bobcat around town.
milcrawl is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,224
Points: 40,647
Thanks: 1
Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylo73z
You can go alot higher than 1300 degrees for a lot longer then you think...iv had my 2000 up to 1600 for about 13-14 seconds.. no problem just because your egts are at 1300 dosnt mean your pistons are that hot it takes some time for all that heat to absorb into your pistons thats why guys fry their motor pulling a trailer up a hill not going down the quarter mile...now as far as boost goes stock these trucks make 35 psi of boost so to say your loosing efficency at 30-35 pounds is far fetched i dont think cummins would put a turbo on their motors that would lose efficency at a boost level its allowed to make....
Why would Cummins spec a turbo that was properly sized for a modified truck? :

I'm not so much worried about the pistons melting, as much as I am about them swelling

I know lots of people frequent high EGTs but I'm not going to take the chance with my engine...it just cost to much to take chances with. I'm comfortable @1000* all day but I don't want to be above 1200* if I don't have too
Dual K20s is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Points: 1,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual K20s
Why would Cummins spec a turbo that was properly sized for a modified truck? :

I'm not so much worried about the pistons melting, as much as I am about them swelling

I know lots of people frequent high EGTs but I'm not going to take the chance with my engine...it just cost to much to take chances with. I'm comfortable @1000* all day but I don't want to be above 1200* if I don't have too
you stated turbo loses efficiency at 30-35 ounds of boost ...i stated the trucks make 35 pounds of boost stock...so how are we getting out of efficiency in stock form?....: the common rail has additional cooling passages and better head desighn than the vp44 pump powered trucks...thats the reason you can run a higher egt ....around 1300 all day long...
ylo73z is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome