transgo results - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by IdahoRob, this thread has received 28 replies and been viewed 1739 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

transgo results

I've been running a Transgo and SC 1050-3 converter for about a year. This is a lly without the new cutback valve and I replaced with new stock clutches where needed. Mobile 1 syn.fluid. Just tore the tranny down and said I'd post findings and thoughts good or bad.

History:
Ran the truck with propane and the biggest tune at the time daily, then added N20 at the track. Maybe two months and 25-1/4 mile runs(107mph).

Installed second turbo and installed the lastest and greatest tunes. Dyno'd over 500hp. I drove the truck hard with tuners stacked daily at over 500hp up until I tore it down today.

I ran somewhere around 100-1/4 mile high boosted passes. The tranny never limped or set any codes. I did have slow shifts at the track, sometimes terribly slow, easy to tell it was defueling on 2/3 shift and sometimes 3/4 shift.

Findings:

Fluid smelled and looked like new.

C5's looked like new(think they always do)

C4's were about 95%. Had just the very slightest darking on a couple of frictions

C3's were very discolored, some frictions were almost totally black. The outer frictions were not nearly as bad(maybe lack of fluid to cool the inner ones?). Steels had hot spots on them. Frictions showed no sign of delaminating or coming apart.

C2's were about 98%. No discoloration on the frictions or hot spots on the steels.

C1's frictions were dark. Steels looked good. Frictions were dark but not glazed or delaminating, but still showed heavy signs of heat.

Thoughts:
I've had many people ask me about the cheap route that I took. I wanted to post my findings, because I've never heard of anyone posting test results of transgo/converter before.

My bill from Merchant auto on everything at the time was $1725.00 including shipping. Add $100.00 for syn. fluid and $50.00 trans jack rental, and maybe some misc. for a total of less than $1900.00.

Conclusion: Not so hard to R & R a allison in your garage, gets easier the second time, I kind of enjoy the punishment:evil: . I'll let the findings speak for themselves, and not add my opinions. My time was about 4hrs for removal, 5 hours on rebuild, 4 hours on install. For first timers, better plan on a weekend. Time is money, but thought I'd give the results of the "other" option

I do have pics of the clutches on my camera, but haven't figured out how to load them(new camera)

Rob

2007 Chevy CCSB LBZ
Maximized Performance Inc. twin turbo, EFI tuned by me
11.89 @ 112MPH on #2

SOLD:
Chevy 04.5 lly, cc/sb
IdahoCTD twins,MITUSA lift pump, Bobo tuned
11.89 @ 113+ MPH #2 only
http://video.thedieselgarage.com/vid...129bebecbe.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:01 AM

Thanks Rob! Thats actually not bad, considering you've got the twins and how much power you're running through the drivetrain....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:33 AM

........uhhh, not bad? : Man that's great! Twins on a boosted pass can be deadly. Wheather it's one or two turbo's....BIG BOOST is ibig boost! I cannot believe your trans ran as well as it did, that's GREAT! Personally, I think the Mobil-1 trans fluid covered ya a good bit. :HappyMugs
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Kinda proves that the stock clutches arent that bad , This will make for some interesting training especially from the EFI crowd who now can control the pressure and when the trans shifts. The stocker will not ever hold the bigger tunes but it will be manipulated to play better
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:55 PM

Yes, the stock transmission will hold fairly well with light mods. However, the Borg-Warner clutches don't have much of a chance if there is a cone-ing (sp) effect. : :RTFM:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Here are the pics:

C1 through C4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	4255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	4256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	4257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4258  

2007 Chevy CCSB LBZ
Maximized Performance Inc. twin turbo, EFI tuned by me
11.89 @ 112MPH on #2

SOLD:
Chevy 04.5 lly, cc/sb
IdahoCTD twins,MITUSA lift pump, Bobo tuned
11.89 @ 113+ MPH #2 only
http://video.thedieselgarage.com/vid...129bebecbe.htm
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM

They were worn and glazed a bit Rob, considering what you put them through , they look better than they should !
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:37 PM

everyone says the Allison is silly because it wont hold anything without "limping". People dont understand that limping does not mean "BROKEN TRANS". It simply means "hey take it easy youre pushing the limit". No, Ford and Dodge trannys dont limp. They go boom. And when they go boom its too late. The simplicity of the TransGo kit (two new valves in the valve body, new springs in the C1/C2 clutch apply plate) really does prove that with MINOR tweaks, the Allison is capable of holding serious hp without new clutches or anything. Id be curious to see how much a TorqShift or 48RE would hold with only a TransGo kit...thanks for the write up Rob!

Ben
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Yes, thank you for the write-up. :Thumbup:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 PM

seems that with the SCT they can control the trans ,thus helping them a lot . We have just conquered the Allison trans with EFI and many will benefit from it; however the trans will still have to be built for big HP
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode