DTT/Suncoast trans posts about the Allison - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by McRat, this thread has received 23 replies and been viewed 2527 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

The last DTT test I witnessed didn't go so swell. But that was on an Allison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Send a message via AIM to BMDMAX
All I know is I have never seen an 11 second slip from a DTT transmissioned Duramax truck, street, strip or otherwise.

I have seen plenty of Suncoast Duramax trucks do it, hell even my lowly little two wheeler does it. And it gets worked every day as it sure as heck is not a light race truck.

That is not to say they are not out there, maybe they are but it would be nice to see or hear about it.

2002 LB7 D/A 2WD. Suncoast Stage V. KD EFILive Tuned, KD N2O, KD 40 Over Injectors, MDP Custom Fuel System, KD MEGA Filter, BD Turbo

2005 LLY D/A 2WD. KD Headlight Booster, KD 4/5 Exhaust, Suncoast Stage V, KD EFILive Tuned.

LB7:[email protected] #2 Only [email protected] #2W/N20
LLY: 471HP & 990 TQ [email protected]

Read about Weekend on the Edge 2005

Truck Website

Chasing 11's Video

Go Fast Goodies Powered by Kennedy Diesel

11 Second 2WD Crew Posse Member!! Got Slicks?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Send a message via AIM to BMDMAX
Does not matter once you start debating pros and cons with each company IMHO. They are looking to buy either DTT or Suncoast and they are getting feedback from the diesel community whether you feel it only applies to one trans or not.

2002 LB7 D/A 2WD. Suncoast Stage V. KD EFILive Tuned, KD N2O, KD 40 Over Injectors, MDP Custom Fuel System, KD MEGA Filter, BD Turbo

2005 LLY D/A 2WD. KD Headlight Booster, KD 4/5 Exhaust, Suncoast Stage V, KD EFILive Tuned.

LB7:[email protected] #2 Only [email protected] #2W/N20
LLY: 471HP & 990 TQ [email protected]

Read about Weekend on the Edge 2005

Truck Website

Chasing 11's Video

Go Fast Goodies Powered by Kennedy Diesel

11 Second 2WD Crew Posse Member!! Got Slicks?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM

i think the allison DTT tranny had a bit to do with the (proto type)situation and the installion of the tranny down south, there is others running it with no problems up here

both trannys seam to be great for the cummins and i would not be scared to run either...... keep in mind i heard they can still have broken parts!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw
i think the allison DTT tranny had a bit to do with the (proto type)situation and the installion of the tranny down south, there is others running it with no problems up here

both trannys seam to be great for the cummins and i would not be scared to run either...... keep in mind i heard they can still have broken parts!!
Hmmm...

Last I heard it was "production" kit, and installed by the guy who probably has done more Allisons than anyone in Canada, possibly ALL of Canada. Certainly not some hack. But it's always the installer's fault I suppose. If he wouldn't have installed it, it wouldn't have blown up.

Heard the owner of the truck got screwed pretty solid by DTT. And in there lies the lesson. If something goes askew, will DTT stand up? There is GOOD reason I did not test a DTT trans, but tested 2 different Suncoast and an ATS. Because if it blew up, I'd most likely be fk'd, and that's what I have a wife for.

As soon as we see some killer ET's out of a DTT Allison, perhaps I'll believe in the herds of Northern Monster Dmaxes running flawlessly with DTT stuff. Kinda like Bigfoot, just folklore until someone credible witnesses it.

I'm sure their Dodge stuff is good. But you are buying both parts and support. Without the support, it's a VERY expensive crapshoot.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 PM

McRat I realize that you and Mike are friends so you probably don't give two sh**s of what I have to say of what happen but here it goes. To me it shouldn't matter when a kit is production or proto, if an installer was never done a kit from a manufacterer there should definately be discounts to the retail customer. This truck was charged less than $1000 from DTT, I don't know what the end bill was but that all that was charged (I heard $3600). The trans left with super high pressures 500psi that was found out a couple days after the install was complete, which in my opinion that should have been checked before it left. Bill at DTT told the customer it was gonna fail get the pressures fixed. Instead the truck was taking to the race track raced and blew up. The customer was told that even though DTT didn't build it we would fix if for only the cost of the clutches damaged as DTT didn't sell them and told him not to race it. Time frames didn't work out and the customer went his own way. At no time did DTT tell the customer that he could pound sand like people are saying.

I personally don't see what else DTT could have done. It's funny that you look through all the Dodge sites there is never any comments like this about DTT, yet all of a sudden they deside that there gonna not look after a customer that is in a industry that there looking into.

I'm not trying to throw mud at the installer I just feel that the proper chance wasn't given as the truck left wrong(pressures) and if the proper tests would have been done we wouldn't be having this conversation.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM

Guys,keep this one civil,and I'd like to hear what really happened here,Im sure others want to as well.

2000 Dodge CTD 2500 4x4,Qcab SWB, 4.10 LSD,PDR cam,PDR twins,DonM 6,Edge Drag Comp,RASP fuel system,DTT trans,Blizzard 810,Sidewing plow,Trynex Vp8000,Sunnybrook 3310
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Not only am I friends with trans guy, but also with the truck's owner.

And really harbor no ill will against DTT. When they come out with something that is proven for the Allison, I might give it a try. I try new products and review them for LLY's. And I pass down information that I know about these trucks.

The basic situation as I recall, was the owner drove the truck a thousand miles to California to get the first(?) DTT Allison kit put in his truck. Information as to how the kit was to be set up was sketchy at best. When put together according to the limited instructions, it acted up. Seems pressure shot through the roof.

Trans ended up dead. DTT Allison "kits" as far as I know are no longer sold. Their site does not list complete transmissions for sale either. Instead of progressing forward, fixing the "kit", and cleaning up the mess, they essentially cut and ran.

Who was to blame? Kinda pointless now. DTT lost, the trans shop lost, and the owner lost. There were no survivors. Detailed instructions might have fixed it. But maybe not. There is no way to know if the parts supplied COULD have made a working trans. DTT is very tight lipped about what the parts are, and what they do. BUT... After that horror show, we came to learn that 2005 Allison transmissions DO NOT WORK with buildup parts for the LB7. There were some changes. So it is entirely possible that nobody could have foreseen the disaster before it happened.

Like I said, in the end, there were no winners, and DTT has pretty much shut themselves out of the Allison market for now. Sadly they could have turned it around and become a contender, but one busted trans sent them running. They will really have to work to get back in the game, if they ever do.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:09 PM

I agree that it turned out sh***y for everyone involved, but I'm not here to talk anyone down. To be honest I actually like talking with Mike prior to WW5 broke out, knowledgeable guy and it was good talking racing, but I guess things happen maybe some day we'll talk again maybe we won't.

We have not stopped working on the allison stuff just stopped talking about it on the internet. I think it's cool that the chevy guys have a resident tester in you, I wish I had your budget to do that and a wife as understanding.:Thumbup:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:17 PM

Het Stefen..... Rich here from Alabama. It's been quite some time since anyone has heard the word Allison come from your shop. Did you ever get the 5 axis set-up the way you wanted? I know there are a very limmited few DTT allisons out, can we have feedback? What about Nick and his BIG tires try'n to kill the trans?

.......You're wayyy at the back, can you keep up or even can you catch up? :shrug:

.........popcorn anyone? :
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode