LB7 Turbo Kit - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BMDMAX, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 4227 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
11 Second Truck Club

Send a message via AIM to BMDMAX
LB7 Turbo Kit

One slightly used IHI turbo, for sale. Never raced or abused, only driven to church on Sundays. :umno:

What a job to get the stocker out and the CAC cleaned up after an oil-down. Here are some photos of the work in progress. Would have been much easier with the trans out but I did not feel like pulling it.

Start of the removal process:

Draining the CAC:

I don't think the location could be any tougher:

The turbo is out:

The unit is pretty heavy and a bear to pull out, it probably weighs a good 70 pounds:

Here is the turbo "kit":

Here is the rear of the turbo, you can see the damage from the turbine trying to eject from the rear of the turbo housing:

Damage to the downpipe:

The compressor still in the housing:

The chunked up compressor:

The turbine:

Still working out the replacement turbo details but hopefully I will have it back up and running soon! :smoke:

2002 LB7 D/A 2WD. Suncoast Stage V. KD EFILive Tuned, KD N2O, KD 40 Over Injectors, MDP Custom Fuel System, KD MEGA Filter, BD Turbo

2005 LLY D/A 2WD. KD Headlight Booster, KD 4/5 Exhaust, Suncoast Stage V, KD EFILive Tuned.

LB7:[email protected] #2 Only [email protected] #2W/N20
LLY: 471HP & 990 TQ [email protected]

Read about Weekend on the Edge 2005

Truck Website

Chasing 11's Video

Go Fast Goodies Powered by Kennedy Diesel

11 Second 2WD Crew Posse Member!! Got Slicks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
PBR me ASAP

You have definitely shown what a stock IHI is capable of. It's amazing how durable they are but when they go it gets ugly quick. I know the CAC is a pain to clean but imagine if it wasn't there. So any hints on the new charger???

2K1 GMC HD RCLB D/A
EFI LIVE, BANKS MONSTER, CARTER LP, AFE2, SLEEVES, TRACK BARS, 285R60 PROXES ON H2's
MA III, MA Converter, Trans-Tcase brace profesionally installed by http://www.gmdieseltech.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 PM

Dang! Thats some carnage!

BTW, Brandon, you almost always take great pics!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
11 Second Truck Club
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to BMDMAX
My truck is back on the road. A huge thanks to Kennedy Diesel for getting me squared away, truly a pleasure to work with. Also, BD has been most excellent to deal with, Christian has been very helpful and delivered exactly as promised.

This is definitely a tough job, I know I am not blazing any new ground so hats off to anyone who has tackled their own turbo installs. The BD kit is pretty comprehensive, I did not have to really add things to it other than a few enhancements in the heat shielding area.

Fittment was good, there were a few places that needed massaging but they were covered in the instructions. The turbo I installed does have an updated center section and the new oiling location is being used. The cam bearing port has been capped off and oil is being pulled from the gallery next to the oil filter housing. A very nice ORB/JIC oil line with a check valve is used to extend up to the turbo.

A few nits to pick: there are a few spots in the install directions that could be reorganized for better installation sequence IMHO, the cam bearing port plug o-ring was a touch too large, the 4-inch hose connecting to the turbo inlet could be pre-cut to length and the paint job on the inlet elbow and dipstick tube needed some work. Again, very minor things but I like a clean install on my truck. The install does turn out very clean and appears pretty close to stock.

The pedestal was a nice piece however it was a bit rough on the casting. A good candidate for EH but I did smooth mine out with a few hours of honing work. I believe BD is working on a bit smoother cast for future pedestals.

The manifold install was pretty easy, removing the intermediate section of the steering shaft makes it a breeze rather than fighting around it. The instructions do not say to remove it but it goes much easier with it out.

The truck fired up with no oil, coolant, or apparent exhaust leaks. No rattles, drips, runs or errors. I did have one boost leak on my boost gauge tubing where it got nicked by the compression fitting on re-install. I figured my new turbo was making more than 20 PSI peak so that was pretty easy to find.

This turbo spools very well. A definite upgrade in turbo whistle. It has some whistle even at idle when you listen at the exhaust pipe. It did change the exhaust pitch under moderate to full throttle, it seems to have added more of a pulse or a brap to the exhaust note. I will have to see if that mellows out a bit but I don't care for that sound in the exhaust note. I can make 20 PSI with ease and it spools to 45 PSI very fast with a great sound to the compressor. My SPA gauge is recalling 50 PSI which is on pace with my 45 PSI on the mechanical. It does clean up well, even with the forty over injectors. I don't have a stock truck to compare with but the turbo seems to respond well to the larger injectors. It gets up to speed deceptively fast but I hope to have track and dyno results soon. It definitely wants to haul *****. EGT management is a huge improvement so far, on the short test runs 990 degrees has been the max. I'd expect trapping at 1600 degrees in the 1/4 will be no problem, a good improvement fromt the 2000 plus I was running. An extra minute of idle cool down takes the temp to 250 degrees pretty easily for a good shutdown.

Once at cruise it does take a touch longer to light than the IHI but it does come on strong once spooled. I am very pleased with the driveability of the turbo so far. Hopefully the reliability issue is in hand but we will see as things progress.

2002 LB7 D/A 2WD. Suncoast Stage V. KD EFILive Tuned, KD N2O, KD 40 Over Injectors, MDP Custom Fuel System, KD MEGA Filter, BD Turbo

2005 LLY D/A 2WD. KD Headlight Booster, KD 4/5 Exhaust, Suncoast Stage V, KD EFILive Tuned.

LB7:[email protected] #2 Only [email protected] #2W/N20
LLY: 471HP & 990 TQ [email protected]

Read about Weekend on the Edge 2005

Truck Website

Chasing 11's Video

Go Fast Goodies Powered by Kennedy Diesel

11 Second 2WD Crew Posse Member!! Got Slicks?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Good deal glad you are back on the road.

03 CHEVY 2500HD Duramax / Allison with :evil: AFE Stage 2 Pro Gaurd, 4" 304 Silverline, Line-X Bedliner, Lurvern Step Bars, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Diamond Plate Cap Rails, Diamond Plate Deeptool box. EFI Live Tuned by Georgia Diesel

"A BROKE CLOCK IS RIGHT TWICE A DAY"
Can You Keep Up??
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Tire Smoker

Send a message via AIM to bobo Send a message via Yahoo to bobo
I would not wish that install on anyone! Great job! I got wood listening to Moss' turbo all the way home from MI last weekend. I love the whistle! Are you planning on flogging this turbo as you did to the IHI?

Bobo's Truck Website

Special Thanks to: Huckstorf Diesel, Merchant Automotive, EFILive, Mike L. @ Inglewood Transmission

05 Twin Turbo Duramax

[email protected]+ on #2 only
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode