New to Duramax - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jim123, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 994 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

New to Duramax

Hi all. I have been watching the racing vids of crew cab, short bed, 4x4 Duramaxes and MUST have one. I have just a few questions. What does it take to run low 14 second 1/4 mile times? How about low 13's, in the 12's and when does it start to become expensive? I wanted to build a Cobra replica but think a 12 sec, 20+ mpg vehicle that you can use all the time is more practical, not to mention accident survivability.
Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 AM

It pretty much gets pricey right off the bat. If you wanna go more than 100hp you need drivetrain mods. I'm not sure how much the allison upgrades are going for, but someone will let you know soon I'm sure. And if you really get into the mods you aren't going to be getting 20mpg.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

How fast would I go with 100 hp over stock in the 1/4 mile? I'd get a 2007 crew cab, short bed, 4x4, auto tranny.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 AM

14 - or high 13 maybe

03 CHEVY 2500HD Duramax / Allison with :evil: AFE Stage 2 Pro Gaurd, 4" 304 Silverline, Line-X Bedliner, Lurvern Step Bars, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Diamond Plate Cap Rails, Diamond Plate Deeptool box. EFI Live Tuned by Georgia Diesel

"A BROKE CLOCK IS RIGHT TWICE A DAY"
Can You Keep Up??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 06:10 PM

:Thumbup: You will need a programmer that will remove the speed limiter. Then start saving for a tranny real soon. After that you are deep in debt and say what the heck and its bombs away.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I drove a 2004 4x4, extended cab today. It was stored outside and was covered with snow from yesterday. I put the key in the ignition and tried to start it asap. It took about twice as long as a gas vehicle did, 2 seconds or so. The thing I noticed first was that I needed to have 1/3 throttle to keep it going down the road 35 mph. Then the bumps in the road made my foot jiggle the throttle and caused the engine to speed up and slow down uncontrollably. Is this normal? After a few minutes I got used to it and was somewhat able to get it under control. The pedal had a serious return spring on it that felt twice as hard as any car I ever drove. Maybe this is what made it difficult to drive at first? It felt slow when I floored the throttle from 10 mph or so. Very short bursts of acceleration between shifts but when I checked the speedo, I was going almost 60 mph when I was expecting to see 35 or so on the speedo. I was somewhat impressed. No matter how fast the thing was able to go, it was still easy to drive it slow which is good for me. So what 1\4 mile time can I expect from a stock cc, sb, 4x4 + a tuner?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 AM

Hot rod diesels take a little getting used to. After I did a couple of mods it seemed like my truck was sluggish, until I raced my friends '95 impala. He used to walk away from me, but with an intake, straight pipe and 120 hp tune we stayed completely even. His car has been tuned and is an auto, mine is the ZF6. Guess sitting up a little bit higher and having more power on the low end makes a big difference. Can't wait until I get a few days off to have a dual disk clutch installed, then I can run my 350hp tune!! btw thats suposed to be at the crank not rear wheels. AND if my tax return is what I expect I'll be getting a new turbo, head studs and 5" straight pipe. If its not what I expect, then I will save my pennies and install it when my wife is out of town. on:

edit: oh yeah, if I were you I would expect 14's with 100hp tune only.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Dang mckey...you have some serious plans! Good Luck to you!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode