8.2 diesel in chevy bus - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sbusald, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 7969 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

8.2 diesel in chevy bus

buddys got a 8.2 in a chevey bus and wants it turned up, whats the best way to do this to one. he basically uses it as a camper but pulls a trailer with it with off road vehicles on it. he needs power but it needs to hold up. it has the allison behind it. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 AM

this is all i could find, this is from dale (nevrenufhp)

Detroit 8.2L:
Tools needed-screwdriver and I think it's a 9/16" wrench. On top-middle of the pump on the right side there's an all-thread looking screw with a jamb nut. Loosen the jamb nut and take the screw out. There's a spring inside it, so be cautious. Run the jamb nut so there's about 4-5 threads left and re-install the screw. Run it up to the jamb nut, then tighten the nut up and it's done. Not much, but it's free.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM

You cant turn those v-8's up too much, if you want them to hodl together.

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 PM

turning the fuel screw,will only net a bit of a hp change. to get any drastic change,you must change out the injectors . as mentioned,this v8 was not a well designed engine,hard work,and high hp levels are a recipe for disaster with this engine. i have had/have 3 of them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbusald
buddys got a 8.2 in a chevey bus and wants it turned up... he needs power but it needs to hold up. thanks
You can't have either, let alone BOTH more power AND durability.

The 8.2L was CRAP in stock trim and power in terms of reliability. You want to talk about cracked heads, leaking injector tubes, and headgaskets?!?! The WORST engine ever produced for those problems.

The issue with the DD 8.2L was that they did not have ANY material at the top of the cylinders. Yup, none. Just the outside edge of the block and the cylinders, no "deck" on top at all. This causes the cylinder walls to flex and move, and the cylinder heads to flex as well. BAD idea.

The DD 8.2L NA was rated from 130-180 HP, while the DD 8.2L-T was rated from 170-210 (or 230 HP I don't recall any more). That's 8.2L, turbocharged that WOULD NOT LIVE at 210 HP, not even 50,000 miles.

Compare that to the International DTA 360. 210 HP, 750 lb-ft and they lived w/o any troubles to 225,000 and weighed a LOT less.

If you mess with the Gov on one of these, you had BETTER know what you are doing. More than one block has been ventilated due to excessive RPM after someone turned a Gov screw.

I know, we had 16 of them, and I have done headgaskets over 200 times on them. EEeeewwww

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode