duramax into 71 chevy - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by roofmaster, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 4186 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

duramax into 71 chevy

i want to stuff a duramax allison combo in my 71 chevy shortwide 4x4,i have been dreaming of doing this and mechanically i have the skill but lacking on knowlage.i am curious about the transmission and what the shifting linkage is comprised of.also curious which year of duramax would be best.this is the type of project that will take major time and effort but i believe would be one sweet ride and i would use it as a company truck so i could afford to build it.any help or directions would be great and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 AM

I had a customer of mine from the dealership call me at home once that wanted me to build him a duramax suburban. He found a wrecked donar truck with the engine and trans complete. That would be the way to go. Almost need a complete truck to start with. The problem is that the truck would need to be hit in the rear to save all the important stuff up front. The next problem is even a wrecked diesel truck is expensive. There is alot more to this swap than you might think. Pieces and parts that you need will kill you if you don't get a complete truck. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Kat

One of our customers is putting one in a 82 You might want to contact him.

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/82chevyduramax.htm
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 03:20 PM

If you have any questions, I can try to help you out.

The physical size is not that much of a problem with the engine, but the Alllison is a different story. You may have some trans tunnel problems here. The engine is about the same size as a big block Chevy. The major thing I found is the ehaust manifolds are low on the engine in comparison to the Chevy motors, making you install it higher in the frame... further compounding the trans to floor clearance issues. The crossmember under the engine will likely need modified or replaced, as the oil pan is rather tall.

To save a bunch of grief, you should find a donor vehicle or at minimum get the engine with the complete wiring harness & computers.

Call Kat above to get EFIlive to program out the misc. anti-theft & emissions codes.

Let me know if you have any questions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Personally unless you are sold on the Allison I'd run an nv4500 behind it with a custom clutch. The nv4500 fits under a 67-72 without much issue. I'm doing a Cummins/nv4500/205 in my Bro's 67 K20 right now and someday I hope to do a 67' with a D-Max/nv4500 or ZF6/205 or Stak.

01-early 04 is best IMO but I know others may have other openions.

I also higly recomend boxing the frame in. If not I'm pretty sure the result won't be pretty

01 2500 Duramax/ZF6,returned to daily driver590/995
03 3500 Duramax/Ally S/C IV EFI Live {Brothers truck}
04 3500 Duramax/Ally EFI Live,feed truck with 3 bale Hydra-Bed,very sick trans
06 4500 Duramax/Ally 4x4 Monroe,EFI Live,Danville turbo, CM flatbed
11 2500 Duramax/Ally 4x4 H&S tuned and deleted {GF's truck}
13 3500 Duramax/Ally 4x4 stock for a very short time
Some Green Equipment and a heard of Black Angus cows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode