streetable power - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by outlaw6oh, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 948 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

streetable power

I had a conversation with a diesel mechanic friend of mine this past weekend and was talking about streetable power on the different brands and was curious as to what the Duramax owners thought.
So with a 4X4, CC, LB any year Dmax what would you consider a good daily driver power wise, and what mods would you do to get the truck to that power. That includes mods to the the trans and suspension as well. So let's hear your opinions on this of what you feel the best daily driver would be, we all know the engine is capable of hitting a 1000+ but probably not the best daily driver at that point anymore so lets hear them.

And this is not a war or bashing thread just some curiosity:thanks:

2004 F350 Built by Ford fixed by PDR Diesel, Xtreme tuned by InnovativeDiesel, gauges by ISSPRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 AM

I know of a few people that have daily drivers in the 600-700hp area.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
I know of a few people that have daily drivers in the 600-700hp area.
That is pretty impressive power in a daily driver I take it they must have done some drivetrain upgrades to keep it reliable, I see your running just shy of 500 that is pretty good power also. Do they have any issues running them daily like fuel economy and reliablity, one of the things that came up in our discussion was fuel economy and being able to use it as a truck to haul loads and such. He was saying that anything over 400 to 500 for a street truck just wasn't as streetable for any of the big 3. So do they tow anything with there trucks or just as commuters? Either way they are pretty impressive for daily drivers:Thumbup:

2004 F350 Built by Ford fixed by PDR Diesel, Xtreme tuned by InnovativeDiesel, gauges by ISSPRO
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 AM

Oh yeah, trans upgrades at a minimum. You're pushing it with a Dmax at 600, so most guys knuckle down and buy rods....which arent cheap. Bigger charger or twins is also a must.

Merchant was running 760 last year, drove it all the time at that level. Towed my truck to Smokin. He got bored and tore it down to upgrade again.
Toman was right around 600 and drove his truck every day. IIRC its for sale.
Theres a black dually from Ohio that has twins thats up around 650. That thing drives very nice....been in it twice.
GotJuice (Jon) used to have a twinned Dmax, that he used for towing and as a daily driver. IIRC, he was the first twin Dmax in NAmerica.

Then there's Keith and Nasty Girl....yes he drives it all the time on the big tunes.

I would think that mileage at those levels wouldnt be an issue....you're not building a motor like that for better mileage. I didnt notice any big changes when I run around on level 10 on the PPE, but then I expect to get lousy mileage because I'm always into it at that level (racing, pulling)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

That is insane, NastyGirl on the street what a sleeper that's one truck I wouldn't want to screw with on the street:bow: .

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 AM
Tire Smoker

Send a message via AIM to bobo Send a message via Yahoo to bobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw6oh
That is insane, NastyGirl on the street what a sleeper that's one truck I wouldn't want to screw with on the street:bow: .
It has a lot of issues. It is being rebuilt again as we speak. Hopefully they figure out a combo that will make it last.

700hp and just over 18K miles without much of a problem on my truck. I beat it daily!:evil: There are a few things I'll do different when I rebuild it, but it has worked fine for now.

I'm running stock axels, drive shafts, intercooler, heads, crank, pistons(decompressed), rear end, front end, shocks, etc....so you don't have to do a lot to hold 700hp...besides motor work. The Allison trans is a PITA on the street if you are not careful at this power level. They are too damn smart for their own good sometimes.:shrug:

Bobo's Truck Website

Special Thanks to: Huckstorf Diesel, Merchant Automotive, EFILive, Mike L. @ Inglewood Transmission

05 Twin Turbo Duramax

[email protected]+ on #2 only
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM

mine is 722 on the dyno at half boost and it drives like a dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode