Dmax Vega Race Car? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Michael, this thread has received 0 replies and been viewed 723 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Dmax Vega Race Car?

I figured I'd throw this idea out and see if anyone sees any holes in it.

I currently have a tube chassis 1973 Vega Super-Gas car. It was originally an Alston-built back-half ladder bar car (stock front suspension augmented by cage rails), but I changed over to an Art Morrison tubular A-Arm front frame. With an iron-headed BBC it weighed around 2250 with me in it, but I usually ran about 150 lbs of ballast for traction. It hasn't been down the track since 1993. I am in the process of putting it back together with a moderately mild (700-750 hp) aluminum head BBC. The rear has plenty of space for 16x33" slicks.

I am thinking of building a Duramax for it. I would still race NHRA Super-Gas with it, but would also take it to the various diesel events. Super-Gas races against a 9.90 index, but most people these days are setting their cars up for at least mid-8's, then setting up a throttle stop which comes on right after the launch, then times out and goes full throttle (running 9.90 at around 155 mph instead of 132 or so). I am hoping that a simple switchable "zero throttle input" circuit will work for a throttle stop. I am also hoping that I can tune for consistent lighting of the turbos after the timer runs out. Needless to say, I will run it full throttle for diesel events.

I would shoot for 800hp or so, and would try to continue using a Powerglide trans (probably one of the built units they offer for Pro-Mod racers these days). I have seen that Scott & Dustin Bentz and Greg Hogue are all using PGs with Gear Vendors overdrives, so I will look into that combination.

Any thoughts or advice?

A few other questions:
Where is the best place to find a core Duramax to start this project?

Anyone have outside dimensions on the Duramax?

Assuming I will be using aftermarket rods and pistons, does it matter which Duramax I start with?

Is the revised block of the LBZ worth spending more money for a core?

Are the heads any better between the series?

How big are the factory intercoolers? I may consider some type of air-to-water intercooler, mounted behind the driver for weight distribution. I think I remember seeing one in Orange Crush when it was first built.

How much cooling is necessary for drag racing a diesel? I was hoping to keep using a VW Scirrocco radiator for weight and size.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode