i want to go fast.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by theshagger, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1218 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

i want to go fast....

hey all!
ive been browsin this forum for a while, and have subsequently posted on both ford and dodge. ive heard that the dodge was the fastest of the "big 3" when it came to moddin diesel. but then a wrench was thrown when a few of those fellas said to not discount the duramax. i'm a senior in highschool, recently recieved a full ride for the next 4, and lookin to make a truck that'll go low 14s high 13's for 20-25000 dollars mods and truck price included in that price. personally, im partial towards the ford cause i think it just looks cleaner, but if i can get this thing haulin faster/cheaper, then i'll go for it. please some help and guidance! thanks!
-andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Tire Smoker

Send a message via AIM to bobo Send a message via Yahoo to bobo
Get an SRT-4 Neon. They run low 14's to high 13's for 20K-25K mods included.

Bobo's Truck Website

Special Thanks to: Huckstorf Diesel, Merchant Automotive, EFILive, Mike L. @ Inglewood Transmission

05 Twin Turbo Duramax

[email protected]+ on #2 only
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:08 AM

the dmax can go high 13s with just a tuner, add a trans, lift pump and a bottle of NOS and 11s are possible all could be done with with less then $6000 in mods and I have recently seen some high mile dmaxs for around $16,000k.As far as how easy it is to get there between brands I would think the dmax can get you more easier then a dodge with the dodge been the top hp getter with serious mods including internal stuff but I feel the power gap is shrinking considerably between the 2 brands as far as Ford goes I would wait till the 6.4 comes out and hope that it is better then the current PS although they can get a 6.0 into the mid 13s that seems to be the end of it and durability is questionable at those levels.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 AM

Just steppin in to see what I can learn here about Dmax's. I've seen some pretty fast ones, that you can build pretty inexpensively. I'm a dodge guy myself, and I will tell you that right out of the gate you will be dropping 5k on a tranny if you want your truck to move. My one thing about the DMAX, is I haven't seen a cheap one for sale, I've been looking for a buddy of mine and just can't seem to find them out here in Cali. As far as top power goes, the dodges do quite well, I've seen some pics of Dmax's that have cracked their blocks at about 800hp, but I heard that isuzu is addressing the problem and that shouldn't happen. But I also don't know much about Dmaxs.

Sorry about the lengthy post and I'm not trying to hijack it. bottom line, if you spend around 18k+or- on a truck you can no problem hit 14's and possibly be able to squeeze 13's. find a truck you like first, then go from there.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 AM

I just dug this up, I'm not really trying to spark any fights here, but its a comparison picture of internals, might be of interest to you or others.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins comparison.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3362  

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 PM

That pic has been around a long time...and I THINK that is actually a 6.5 rod/piston, not a Dmax rod/piston. But also, a V8 and inline 6 are completely different engines, the rods ARE going to be different/look different. A Cummins rod needs to be stronger just because it has a longer stroke etc... Also size does not mean strength. Yes, on the Extreme end the Cummins hold up a little better just by nature of the inline design. Its just going to be stronger. But remember this is EXTREME. 800 rwhp IS pushing it on a Dmax, but then again, how much over stock is that (stock is around 250 rwhp IIRC)?

--Ben
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX
That pic has been around a long time...and I THINK that is actually a 6.5 rod/piston, not a Dmax rod/piston. But also, a V8 and inline 6 are completely different engines, the rods ARE going to be different/look different. A Cummins rod needs to be stronger just because it has a longer stroke etc... Also size does not mean strength. Yes, on the Extreme end the Cummins hold up a little better just by nature of the inline design. Its just going to be stronger. But remember this is EXTREME. 800 rwhp IS pushing it on a Dmax, but then again, how much over stock is that (stock is around 250 rwhp IIRC)?

--Ben
I was going to say along the same thing. The Cummins has few cylinders with nearly the same displacement. The bore and stroke are definately going to be bigger. Its not really a good comparison. Throw down the weight of all pistons in the engine which is going to be a bigger pile of metal? Even at that what have you proven? Nothing.. Strength and size are related but not completely.

To stay on topic a bit, get the truck you like the most. Drive all 3 then choose. If you plan on low 14s to high 13s as your final goal it won't be hard. The hardest part will be stopping there. Its part of the :rules: we HAVE to want more power... its just how it is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Sperm Donor

That isn't a 6.5 rod in the pic just for the record.

some diesel stuff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM

You can buy a 2001-2002 Reg Cab Dmax for about $15000-18000 (I'd look for an 02, if it were me). Put a Suncoast 3 trans in it ($3600), the high-HP tuner of your choice ($1000-1200), a set of Super Diesel tie rod sleeves, straight pipe your exhaust, get a pyrometer and boost gauge and you're in the mid-low 13s easy.

Don't listen to those nay-sayers about the Dmax. EVERY engine will start to have longevity problems when you get up past 800HP.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
You can buy a 2001-2002 Reg Cab Dmax for about $15000-18000 (I'd look for an 02, if it were me). Put a Suncoast 3 trans in it ($3600), the high-HP tuner of your choice ($1000-1200), a set of Super Diesel tie rod sleeves, straight pipe your exhaust, get a pyrometer and boost gauge and you're in the mid-low 13s easy.

Don't listen to those nay-sayers about the Dmax. EVERY engine will start to have longevity problems when you get up past 800HP.

There were multiple trucks this weekend at a dyno event that made in the 65x range. Their mods were:

4" exhaust $450
Intake $260
Tranny $3600, I am guessing here
Tuner of their Choice $699
Nitrous Kit $600 or so for a single stage

That is it. One of them actually made the power on 38's! I bet that is a spooky ride! I think the high truck went 68x or so.

That should be able to easily put you into the 13's.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode