The Diesel Garage banner

Yet another 6.0 L build

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  LargeCar 
#1 ·
Ok, since I got the PMax and lost the low end boost I have decided to do a small build.

At the advice of both bismic and harry6.0 I have stepped up for the LWTS from KEM, talked to Mike and it is the works. Got the proper EGR delete and Oil Cooler stuff coming, talking to Dfuser for a coolant filter system.

Now I need a source for head studs and head gaskets. Any good source is appreciated. Not sure about the head gaskets so I need a bit of the site expertise on the subject. Which are good, the best, source, put on dry or with some sort of sealer or coating?

Help and thanks.

Largecar:salute:salute:salute:salute:salute

PS, still digging out from under the destruction of the tornado. And I figure it will take a couple of weeks to do the work myself (my DISH is really kicking in).

#2 ·
ARP Studs are THE studs to use. And I would recommend factory Head Gaskets. There is one vendor for head gaskets that are as good as Ford, but I don't remember. Harry will be by and he will give you his recommendations and he knows his stuff!

Dave

#3 ·
Thanks.

Just a thought, the truck has never in its life puked, so can I get away with just putting studs in with the original gaskets in place. I would do them one stud at a time to not release the crush on the gaskets.

I would use ARP studs, the best price I can find is $425, anybody better?

Thanks

LC

#4 ·
A couple of us on the site have done them one at a time and as for me I have had no problem at all and I run an SCT scanner and tow a 31 ft 5er RV.
Ed

Reactions: Weld engineer
#5 ·
When doing them one at a time do you take them to full torque as you go, or do you stay shy a bit to go full torque on all at the same time?

Deerman39, what is your total weight, truck+fiver?

LC

#6 · (Edited)
Got everything on the way to me, truck is 90% torn down waiting for its new stuff.

Going back with Gold coolant.

Is there anything I should be doing while I am there. I already have the upgraded turbo oil hose and tube. But what about other things that need to be upgraded while I am this deep in the engine.

Thanks

LC

#7 · (Edited)
I started at the second torque step in the instructions and followed the sequence and steps ARP recommends. You don't want to lose the clamp force the TTY bolts already have in place.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/19-2003-2007-6-0l-power-stroke/115988-arp-1-time.html

Over 30k on mine and no issues. The rear ones are tough I had to cut a hole in my AC box and fab a plug afterwards. The driver's side I cut the transfer case loose and used a bottle Jack to push to the drivers frame rail it just cleared the engine compartment wall.

It's not fun but it can be done without removing cab just not comfortable on top of the engine. access is not good everywhere and I had to use a wobble on a couple even though they are not recommended.

I'm glad I did it.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Thanks Weld Engineer, I looked at the link and it make me feel even better about doing it this way. Mine is a rear wheel drive only so I might be better off then most on the rear studs. Nothing wrong with universals in the torque drive as long as they aren't flopped over to far.

LC

#9 ·
Oil Change Schedule

I would say off hand that my oil brand (Valvoline Premium Blue) and my intervals (10K oror a year which ever comes first) seems to be doing the trick.

LC

#11 ·
Not doing gaskets.

Interesting development, in the hospital yesterday for back injections and had a long talk with the wife. We decided to go with the upgraded EGR cooler and put the cat back on. Reason is that we travel to a lot of other states, so far missing California, and got to worrying about being legal as far as emissions stuff. Not sure just how much that will effect the trucks performance but I know it will ease our worries about big brother grabbing us.

LC

#12 ·
Large Car sorry for not getting back to you as I have had problems navigating this site. I did the same as WELD with the torque method. I removed the L H eng mount and PS pump, then removed nuts on RH side mount, and loosen nuts on trans mount and jacked up eng at bell houing to installed studs on right side so I did not have to cut AC housing or lose Freon.
Ed

#13 ·
Studs are in, tuner is on, just chasing minor stuff after startup.

LC

#14 ·
Did studs one at a time as suggested here by several. Torqued all to 180 when installed, then went back when all were in on each head and pulled them down to 210. Drivers side back was the worst, passenger side was surprisingly easy. Loosened all frame to motor mount bolts and trans mount bolts, used floor jack and piece of 2x6 on back engine flange and jacked the engine up and over for the install. Getting studs in was easier than pulling the torque, even with a four foot cheater.

With the new SCT LWTS and tunes from KEM the truck actually will run good again.

Still have not heard zip from KT Performance or Garrett Turbo on my lag issues, which are now cured.

LC

#15 ·
Having issues wiring my EGT prob to the SCT Livewire TS. Followed the user manual to the letter, just dosent work. Been emailing SCT for help and we are six or seven emails deep, still no joy.

Anybody had experiences?

#16 · (Edited)
Deleted double post

#18 ·
Pretty much, street driving seems to be good, will be towing the fifth wheel soon, that will tell me if the tow tune works.

LC

Reactions: lenzhotrod
#19 ·
Bought a JMS prob and booster box thing and the pyro prob now sends a signal to the SCT for the EGT's. Now to go towing...........

LC

#20 ·
Towed to Kansas and back, about 600 miles and the truck was flawless. Good power and 11.7 MPG. As tot he turbo problems I corrected with the turbo rebuild and tuner I finally, after emailing them again, got a response from Garrett...

Hello Glenn,

Full disclosure: things have been difficult here ever since one of our team members had a medical emergency and has been out with a major medical problem leaving us all scrambling trying to keep things moving forward. I apologize that we weren’t able to address your issue sooner.

We did not have an opportunity to call KT Performance either so I don’t know why they took the path they did. I don’t know their side of the story so I cannot comment further. However, since they are not a direct distributor of ours, we would have preferred to have you reach out to an Authorized Garrett distributor (Turbochargers | Garrett Distributors | Turbo distributors) to sort out your issue, but it seems to be too late for that now. We fully understand your frustration and own up to our delays. I don’t think we will convince you otherwise on what you do next time but realize that we are sorry for how this all transpired.

All the Best,

Garrett Gearhead
Honeywell | Garrett® Aftermarket

Just another big company ignoring the little guy. Next time it will be an AirResearch or some other turbo for me.

LC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.