The Diesel Garage banner

Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location

26K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Does anyone know offhand where the factory oil pressure sending unit is located on a 1995 F350 7.3L? My gauge just started acting up (either that or my oil pressure keeps intermittently dropping to almost zero, and there is plenty in the pan). Is there a recommended alternate spot to tap in with a reference gauge?

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

#2 ·
the oil pressure sending unit is ontop of the HPOP reservoir on the passenger's side.

easy to get to on top of the engine

#3 ·
Here's a pic! The one on the left is the factory sensor, its behind the water line in this shot...

Attachments

#4 ·
Joe,
Thanks for the photo. What thread is the hole where you added the aftermarket sending unit? It looks like you have an adapter in there before the pipe thread elbow.

Mine turned out to be just some corrosion on the terminal of the factory "sending unit". I didn't realize that it was only a pressure switch (though I have wondered why the oil pressure always seemed to be the same). That factory gauge is just a placebo! Time to add space for more gauges, as I will be adding a real oil pressure gauge to mine.

Thanks,
Michael

#5 ·
Its an AN-4 type fitting. What ever that means... I made four trips to Fluid connectors to get the right one...

#6 ·
there is a 1/8th npt fitting on the back of the block... within a half inch of the bellhousing, it is located on a "ear" that sticks out where the starter would be (only on the opposite side), it is plugged with a square headed plug, it can be removed and a pressure sending unit screwed right in as most of them are 1/8th npt also

this port measures the pressure off the last main bearing right before it goes up to the turbo (the last thing on the loop)... IMO it is the best place to measure pressure because if this place has oil the rest of the mill has oil

and the install is as simple as removing the plug and screwing in a sending unit

if you are interested and can't find the plug let me know and i will post a pic of my truck

#7 ·
Thats a great place,:poke: but thats where I have my oil temp sender mounted:sly:

Red arrow is the oil temp sender, blue is the second port I think your referring to. I was under the understanding that this port was not under pressure:shrug: , am I wrong:poke: ?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.