The Diesel Garage banner

5ek injector codes

13K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SmokinCAT 
#1 ·
I recently bought a used 5ek with unknown history. We put it in the truck runs good but we can't keep it cool. So I hooked up cat et and i saw fls fts was 127/0. So I changed it to 79/-19 and I noticed that the tattle tale feature showed these settings were changed 66 times !! It runs a little cooler but I took a look at the injector codes. This is what is listed cyl. 1100, cyl2 6930 , cyl3 6822 , cyl4 1781 , cyl5 1035, cyl6 1667 . Does it seem that those codes are in cal 2 and 3 ? Also what else can been changed with fuel settings ? It will haze black smoke when staying in the throttle under full load after that first initial puff of black smoke. Any help is appreciated I don't know very much about these older e models.

#2 ·
You could open it up and see what the number is on the injector, put the 5232 to open them up or 1100 to cut them all back.

Here's the problem, if the previous owner bought rebuild inj from someone other than Cat, the trim codes are just a shot in the dark guess. The numbers themselves are only directly related to that inj when new from Cat. So don't put any thought into what trim code is next to another.

As for the 66 times the FLS/FTS have been changed, keep in mind that is a 20 yr old engine and someone was probably playing around trying to figure out what worked best for them.

#4 ·
The way it is hazing black smoke I will try cutting them back to 1100 . I don't understand why some of the injectors are at such a lower value . Look at number 1 cylinder compared to # 2 and 3. If it was your truck what would you do ( we have a driver in the truck).

#5 ·
Because the stock injectors could have very well had that much of a difference them that they needed those numbers to balance. Those numbers are also not in any specific order to flow compensation amounts, bigger number doesn't mean more flow in all cases.

That is why I wouldn't suggest matched numbers unless you are running balanced injectors.

#8 ·
my trim codes are all over the place... 2239/2552/5858/2127/8820/7835. I replaced #1&5 with reman from Diesel Controls and the numbers on those made the inj show it was bad so I used the old numbers and they were ok for a while. I noticed a miss and #1 was showing bad again so I changed it to 5232 to get it to pass. Problem with that was it felt like it had a miss at an idle. I changed all over to 5232 and it smoothed everything out. It does smoke more with the higher flow.

The way I understood the 1100 trim is it cuts the inj back as far as possible. I do wonder if that is the case do they all flow the same amount when at the setting? Has anyone ever checked that out?

#12 ·
UPDATE******
Motor was a factory 435 5ek . It has a 550 hp 5ek file. I put 5232 codes in it and set fls fts 0/0. It still smokes but not as bad but the power just isn't what a 550 feels like. I do know that the 435 5ek has the same injector as a 1lw. What do you guys think about putting a 1lw file in it and a bw 177148 turbo ?

#13 ·
A 550 5ek has a step up injector over all the lower hp engines and this is why it doesn't run that well. Have a 600 file put in it and it will wake right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.