Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com - View Single Post - meter timing cat + others
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 PM
w9l

Garage
I would sure be tempted to go with Ferret. Call them and talk to their tech guys about your applications. I took a five year break from big wheels about the turn of the century and bought a genuine, bona fide, franchise Snap On tool route. I had dealings with Ferret more than once and in my experience, they are first class and will be honest about what they are capable of. I have threatened (and may yet) to do just exactly as you are thinking with the Ferret. If I ever lose access to a Cat meter, I will. I dont know about your other applications but I studied `the Cat vs Ferret thing and I think -in theory- it should work. That said, I would definately do some real world testing to establish a baseline. Preferably, against a freshly Cat meter timed engine. Call Ferret and see what they say. I have a Ferret tach/advance digital spark ignition timing light, and sold a few as well. Less money and far more dependable than any other timing lights that I sold. How well /fast the Ferret reads the signal at inje tion line vs Cat's way of doing the math will be the answer. There may be a variation from Cat'number but if so the difference should be consistent across the scale.Let us know what you come up with.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome