The Diesel Garage banner

meter timing cat + others

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  theakerstwo 
#1 ·
I am getting frustrated with pin timing cat 3306b and 3406b models,all the local mechanics have never even heard of a timing meter.do I need to buy the 8t5300 and 8t5301 which would limit me to the cat only or would a ferret timing meter be more universal.
I have several different kinds of engines from cat to cummins,the cat meter is over 5000.00. what are my timing meter options????

#2 ·
I would sure be tempted to go with Ferret. Call them and talk to their tech guys about your applications. I took a five year break from big wheels about the turn of the century and bought a genuine, bona fide, franchise Snap On tool route. I had dealings with Ferret more than once and in my experience, they are first class and will be honest about what they are capable of. I have threatened (and may yet) to do just exactly as you are thinking with the Ferret. If I ever lose access to a Cat meter, I will. I dont know about your other applications but I studied `the Cat vs Ferret thing and I think -in theory- it should work. That said, I would definately do some real world testing to establish a baseline. Preferably, against a freshly Cat meter timed engine. Call Ferret and see what they say. I have a Ferret tach/advance digital spark ignition timing light, and sold a few as well. Less money and far more dependable than any other timing lights that I sold. How well /fast the Ferret reads the signal at inje tion line vs Cat's way of doing the math will be the answer. There may be a variation from Cat'number but if so the difference should be consistent across the scale.Let us know what you come up with.

#3 ·
I have used the cat meter and loved it.I too have a snapon timing light and I have used it more but you have to use it on a engine that you know no one has been jacking with to get a base line.I remember mine was about two degress fast.The way I would check it is with a cold engine and thinking all time that its timed right from factory check timing at idle before it starts to advance to get the base line.But were are you going to find a engine now that's not been retimed.

#4 ·
well i have a 3306b that i just did an inframe on and its giving me fits,when i pin timed it, it was very lazy to rev up,very retarded acting,so i ended up buying a tech time 3300,you can use the timing light or the mag flywheel pickup with the transducer clamp that goes around the numb 1 fuel injection line.

i advanced the pump slightly and checked my timing which was at 13.2 deg now, cat tech said this pump on this unit is set from factory at 10.5.most guys say to run these advanced a bit but where is the sweet spot.when i asked cat tech at what degree would i have to worry about piston meltdown he said in the 23 deg + range,that seems like a big degree difference.

this engine is a low horse power 3306b with no automatic timing advance,only other thing i need to check is the fly weights maybe they are worn.

when you guys say baseline what are you referring to??, all this system does is reads the pulse from injection pump against the magnetic pickup on the flywheel which should be TDC. it tells me rpm and degrees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.