The Diesel Garage banner

Tranny slip...

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BeauxPete 
#1 ·
Every now and again I'll slow into a corner and when I accelerate out she'll rev out then drop into gear and accelerate. No particular situation just random.

Today she did it three times in a row, threw the reduced power indicator and performed normal till I came to a stop sign, at which time she wouldn't shift out of 1st. Shut down the truck and it took three ignition start sequences before it would turn-over and start. First two did nothing but display lights.

So...What could be going on?

She hit 45000 on the dot tonight when I left work, started acting up at 45018.

I'm running Spartan 250.

Any tips before I rip out the exhaust to take her in?

#2 ·
Every now and again I'll slow into a corner and when I accelerate out she'll rev out then drop into gear and accelerate. No particular situation just random.
Mine has done this several times since new and Ford checked it out at 28k. Of course they couldn't duplicate the issue so they said everything was fine. It's happen while stock and tuned so it's not a tuning issue it's a truck/tranny issue. It only happens every so often and most of the time I can catch it before she slams back in gear. Knock on wood but nothing happened so far and I've had the truck for almost 3 yrs and I just rolled past 63k.

If you take it in and they find something please let us know.

Thanks,
Gerry

#3 ·
happened to me as well. i too try to catch it before it slams into gear. Only happens in certain areas of my drive home from work. Usually up a slight incline in 2nd or 3rd gear when i have to let off the accelerator pedal and then ease back into it. VERY UN-NERVING when it slams in to gear. MAKES MY GUT HURT...

#5 ·
Slipping trans?

I was told it has to do with the accelerator pedal being electronically connected to the trans. The signal sometimes get to the trans a little late and you already have the accelerator pressed down and slam, the engine has sped up and slams the trans into a lower gear. Mine hasn't done it lately because I am aware of what they said was causing the problem and try to prevent it from happening. Mine did it only when I slowed for a right turn, went around the corner and put my foot into it and slam. I first thought it was the fluid level, than trans slipping. I took the tech for a ride showing him what it was doing and he spent 4 hours researching it, driving the truck with some kind of test unit attached and talking with Ford. I even had to drive it a couple of times to get it to do with the test unit attached because the tech couldn't get it to do the slam. Good luck with your tech putting in this kind of time.

#6 ·
Thanks

#7 ·
I did try adding 1/2 a quart of trans fluid and I must tell you that it is 98% better. It has happened only one time since i added the extra fluid. i heard about this trick on a few of the tuner forums.

#8 ·
151K on my truck and has done this to me from day one. have tried the fluid deal and just about everything but hasnt let me down yet..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.