OK-I'm in. New 6.4L owner - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Duke, this thread has received 30 replies and been viewed 5015 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy

OK-I'm in. New 6.4L owner

Just picked up my used '08 F-550 this past week. It's a 4x4 XL crewcab with PW/PDL/PM w/ heat, high cap tow package and plow package. It has a 9' flatbed with 25K gooseneck hitch and 16K bumper hitch.
Of course have many, many questions. I only owned the truck for 1 day and it lost a #5 injector and a wiring harness. Many are suggesting I buy the extended warranty. looks like ~$2,700.
That aside, what do I need to do to make this thing run/last better?

Any free or low cost things I can do right away?

Came with CD player but no steering controls for stereo, can the switches be added where the blank plate is and it will have fingertip control?
Can daytime running lights be added? (I know it's crazy, but I like them)

That's just the starter list of ?'s. More to come if you can stand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Extended warranyy probably not a bad idea unless you plan on putting a tuner on.

I do not think the switches can be added need to check witha stero shop or Crutchfiled for a more definitive answer.

I do not believe daytime runnning lights can be added either. I have heard different stories about this item no dealership in my area will do it or I have not found one to do it.

Enjoy the truck sounds like a good workhorse for you.

2008 Job 1 F250 CC 4X4 SB Stock
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Garage
I see no reason why you couldn't add DRL. I know ALOT of people have them turned off at the dealers, so why couldn't they activate it? Check with a dealer near you. As far as making it last longer, you know the answer......

DPF/DOC delete and a tuner, or else be prepared for the horrible moleage and additional fuel in the oil due to regen's.

2009 F350 4x4 CCLB Job 2, Lariat Ultimate, 6.4L, Auto, Tuned by KEM, S&B, DPF/DOC delete, 325/65xR18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Weld EVO Cheyenne 8 wheels, 2.5" Levelling Kit, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Recon Smoked Mirror and roof lights, Mag-Hytec Diff. Covers, Line-X Xtra Spray on liner, Weatherguard toolbox, DuraFlap mudflaps, Bilstein 5100's, ALL The Factory Options!

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
H-M.W.H. Club #2
Union Club #1
Singles #237
B.O.M.B. Squad #12
Ridin' Dirty Club #17
American Club #15
The Following User Says Thank You to fine69 For this addition to TDG:
Duke (10-20-2011)
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I see no reason why you couldn't add DRL. I know ALOT of people have them turned off at the dealers, so why couldn't they activate it? Check with a dealer near you. As far as making it last longer, you know the answer......

DPF/DOC delete and a tuner, or else be prepared for the horrible moleage and additional fuel in the oil due to regen's.
Actually, no I don't know the answer. I don't know chit about this engine except that about 75% of the people I told I bought the truck told me the 6.4L sucked.

I would rather not molest the engine in any way that causes warranty concerns. Removing the dpf and a tuner would. I don't need any more power, just reliability. Of course removing anything simple that hinders performance would be considered. It's a mule, not a thoroughbred.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 AM

Garage
The biggest issue with the 6.4 is the DPF and the additional fuel injected into the engine during a regen, (when the Dpf is cleaned). Long story short, these motors "make" oil from the additional fuel. The tuner is needed to turn off the regens, not just for more power. I'll send you a PM on where you can do some reading.

2009 F350 4x4 CCLB Job 2, Lariat Ultimate, 6.4L, Auto, Tuned by KEM, S&B, DPF/DOC delete, 325/65xR18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Weld EVO Cheyenne 8 wheels, 2.5" Levelling Kit, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Recon Smoked Mirror and roof lights, Mag-Hytec Diff. Covers, Line-X Xtra Spray on liner, Weatherguard toolbox, DuraFlap mudflaps, Bilstein 5100's, ALL The Factory Options!

H-M.W.H. Club #2
Union Club #1
Singles #237
B.O.M.B. Squad #12
Ridin' Dirty Club #17
American Club #15
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Is it detectible for warranty issues?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 PM

DRL is a programmable feature that can be set with the Ford VCM/IDS, there should be no issue getting it enabled.

If it has a stock radio the radio controls can probably be added, I only have the 2009 diagram, but it shows the steering wheel controls connect to the ACM which shows as being there in even the base audio configuration.

The 6.4 is not a bad engine, but like other emissions controlled diesels it does not tolerate neglected maintenance.

Key maintenance points:

- Use only Ford FD4617 (or Racor) fuel filter sets, change every 10k miles.

- Use only Ford FL2016 (or Racor) oil filters, change every 5k miles.

- Use Ford PM22A/PM23A fuel conditioner or other quality conditioner like Stanadyne at every fill up.

- Test coolant nitrite levels regularly, 15k mi max, I recommend 5k when doing oil changes since the test strips are cheap. Add VC-8 if needed. If nitrite is too low, or at 60k intervals flush with VC-9 and fill with fresh coolant.

- Avoid bio-diesel in any concentration like the plague. 5% is the max allowed for the engine and even that is known to be problematic.

- Send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis at every oil change. This is very valuable data to have, especially the long term trending information. Get the pre-pay 6 pack sample kits to save a few bucks.

It is highly recommended to get the manufacturer backed (i.e. Ford ESP) extended warranty on any new emissions controlled diesel. Parts / repairs for these engines are very expensive so one good repair can easily cost more than the extended warranty costs.

I also recommend getting an add-on monitor like the Scangauge II to keep a closer eye on operating conditions than the stock gauges give you. This is particularly important with the latest PCM flash which does not give continuous indication of DPF regen. Without the extra gauge you won't know when your exhaust is 1,400F and a severe fire risk if parking over dry grass.

The latest PCM flash is highly recommended as it improves fault detection and can find developing issues before they do too much damage and can help find them while you are still under warranty.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 AM

Garage
I haven't heard ANYTHING good about the latest flash from Ford. I've had 2 different dealers tell me to avoid it.

H-M.W.H. Club #2
Union Club #1
Singles #237
B.O.M.B. Squad #12
Ridin' Dirty Club #17
American Club #15
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
DRL is a programmable feature that can be set with the Ford VCM/IDS, there should be no issue getting it enabled.
So you mean dealer can turn it on with laptop?

Quote:
If it has a stock radio the radio controls can probably be added, I only have the 2009 diagram, but it shows the steering wheel controls connect to the ACM which shows as being there in even the base audio configuration.
So all I do is buy the switch assembly that goes where the blank cover plate is and it'll work? Or does something have to be done at the dealer?

Quote:
The 6.4 is not a bad engine, but like other emissions controlled diesels it does not tolerate neglected maintenance.

Key maintenance points:

- Use only Ford FD4617 (or Racor) fuel filter sets, change every 10k miles.

- Use only Ford FL2016 (or Racor) oil filters, change every 5k miles.

- Use Ford PM22A/PM23A fuel conditioner or other quality conditioner like Stanadyne at every fill up.

- Test coolant nitrite levels regularly, 15k mi max, I recommend 5k when doing oil changes since the test strips are cheap. Add VC-8 if needed. If nitrite is too low, or at 60k intervals flush with VC-9 and fill with fresh coolant.

- Avoid bio-diesel in any concentration like the plague. 5% is the max allowed for the engine and even that is known to be problematic.

- Send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis at every oil change. This is very valuable data to have, especially the long term trending information. Get the pre-pay 6 pack sample kits to save a few bucks.

It is highly recommended to get the manufacturer backed (i.e. Ford ESP) extended warranty on any new emissions controlled diesel. Parts / repairs for these engines are very expensive so one good repair can easily cost more than the extended warranty costs.

I also recommend getting an add-on monitor like the Scangauge II to keep a closer eye on operating conditions than the stock gauges give you. This is particularly important with the latest PCM flash which does not give continuous indication of DPF regen. Without the extra gauge you won't know when your exhaust is 1,400F and a severe fire risk if parking over dry grass.

The latest PCM flash is highly recommended as it improves fault detection and can find developing issues before they do too much damage and can help find them while you are still under warranty.
Excellent. Thanks.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I haven't heard ANYTHING good about the latest flash from Ford. I've had 2 different dealers tell me to avoid it.
That was correct for the original 11B23 flash, it is not true for the revised 11B23 which came out several months later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode