Join Date: Dec 2009
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
DRL is a programmable feature that can be set with the Ford VCM/IDS, there should be no issue getting it enabled.
If it has a stock radio the radio controls can probably be added, I only have the 2009 diagram, but it shows the steering wheel controls connect to the ACM which shows as being there in even the base audio configuration.
The 6.4 is not a bad engine, but like other emissions controlled diesels it does not tolerate neglected maintenance.
Key maintenance points:
- Use only Ford FD4617 (or Racor) fuel filter sets, change every 10k miles.
- Use only Ford FL2016 (or Racor) oil filters, change every 5k miles.
- Use Ford PM22A/PM23A fuel conditioner or other quality conditioner like Stanadyne at every fill up.
- Test coolant nitrite levels regularly, 15k mi max, I recommend 5k when doing oil changes since the test strips are cheap. Add VC-8 if needed. If nitrite is too low, or at 60k intervals flush with VC-9 and fill with fresh coolant.
- Avoid bio-diesel in any concentration like the plague. 5% is the max allowed for the engine and even that is known to be problematic.
- Send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis at every oil change. This is very valuable data to have, especially the long term trending information. Get the pre-pay 6 pack sample kits to save a few bucks.
It is highly recommended to get the manufacturer backed (i.e. Ford ESP) extended warranty on any new emissions controlled diesel. Parts / repairs for these engines are very expensive so one good repair can easily cost more than the extended warranty costs.
I also recommend getting an add-on monitor like the Scangauge II to keep a closer eye on operating conditions than the stock gauges give you. This is particularly important with the latest PCM flash which does not give continuous indication of DPF regen. Without the extra gauge you won't know when your exhaust is 1,400F and a severe fire risk if parking over dry grass.
The latest PCM flash is highly recommended as it improves fault detection and can find developing issues before they do too much damage and can help find them while you are still under warranty.