Set a code today - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Duke, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 3046 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 122,940
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Set a code today

Just driving around a sharp turn at moderate speed and the "reduced power" and wrench icon lit up on me. WTF?
I pulled over a few miles up the road, shut it off and restarted and the wrench icon went out.
Anyone have this happen?
Duke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
pyro2nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 606
Points: 40,246
Thanks: 52
Thanked 64 Times in 63 Posts
Can you scan for a code? If not I would take it to a dealer. Preferably the one you just bought it from.

2008 FX4 3:73 ZF-6 SC SB Transfer Flow
Singles club member 166 H&S Mini, KEM Tunes, S&B intake
pyro2nite is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 122,940
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
Can you scan for a code? If not I would take it to a dealer. Preferably the one you just bought it from.
I bought it used from a dealer 600 mi away, so that's impossible.
I assume everything has returned to normal and the code stays stored.
I thought I read someone else here had a similar problem where they'd go around a sharp curve and set a code. What a PITA that's got to be.
Duke is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Senior Member
 
pyro2nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 606
Points: 40,246
Thanks: 52
Thanked 64 Times in 63 Posts
Might be worth buying a code reader. Sometimes it makes for peace of mind.

2008 FX4 3:73 ZF-6 SC SB Transfer Flow
Singles club member 166 H&S Mini, KEM Tunes, S&B intake
pyro2nite is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 122,940
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
OK went to dealer today. Code thrown was for low coolant level/pressure if I remember correctly.
Bottom line is, I have a thermostat problem. Dealer will replace t-stat. They also suggest replacing upper rad hose for $35. They said it is a problem area that has been updated, but that part is out of warranty.
Shortly after I left the truck at dealer, i got the dreaded call. Low pressure fuel pump took a dump. $469.
Spoke candidly with mechanics and they hate the 6.4L. They were polite about it, but basically said it was as bad if not worse than the 6L. They suggested to get ready for costly repairs out of warranty and to look into extended warranty. Cost to extend warranty a mere $4,500 if I use it to plow, a bargain at $3,800 if I don't plow.
I think I'm gonna go kick my dog now....oh wait, I don't have a dog.

Last edited by Duke; 11-14-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Duke is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Let it all Ride
 
Eazydeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,316
Points: 59,518
Thanks: 180
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Ya know Duke, if you candidly talk to any mechanic at a dealer in regard to modern diesels, they will tell you they hate them all. My father in law works at Emich Chevrolet as a diesel mechanic (Has been one for 35 years, mostly heavy machinery until 1997) and he says the Duramax is a pile of crap too. Which I don’t agree with but as he says, as soon as something breaks be ready to pull a second on your house. Hell, pop the hood on any new car, I wouldn't wanna work on it either. So I guess the moral of this is, they are all costly to fix and rest assured they will all have their problems. You just won’t hear about them as much because plain and simple, there’s about 500 Fords on the road for every 150 Chevy/GMC’s. I lot more buyers to be pissed off.

Dominic
'16 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, 3.73's, Aisin, 4x4
Eazydeezy is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 122,940
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazydeezy View Post
Ya know Duke, if you candidly talk to any mechanic at a dealer in regard to modern diesels, they will tell you they hate them all. My father in law works at Emich Chevrolet as a diesel mechanic (Has been one for 35 years, mostly heavy machinery until 1997) and he says the Duramax is a pile of crap too. Which I don’t agree with but as he says, as soon as something breaks be ready to pull a second on your house. Hell, pop the hood on any new car, I wouldn't wanna work on it either. So I guess the moral of this is, they are all costly to fix and rest assured they will all have their problems. You just won’t hear about them as much because plain and simple, there’s about 500 Fords on the road for every 150 Chevy/GMC’s. I lot more buyers to be pissed off.
I think the reason most (not all) of the mechanics are pissed off is because they hate working on them becuase they're all so complex.

However, if you look at the GMC and the Ford I have and compare repair history, there is no comparison.

'07 GMC DMAX: 75,000 miles no engine or drivetrain repairs.
'08 Ford 6.4L: 44,500 miles: Y pipe replaced (10.2 hours, cab removed), #5 injector, injector harness, low press fuel pump.

That's just my experience. I realize other people might have different experiences. The fuel economy on this truck is also terrible. If I'm getting 10 MPG empty, I'd be surprised.

Hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm thinking Dodge 5500 or an IH 4xxx with 4WD.
Duke is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Let it all Ride
 
Eazydeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,316
Points: 59,518
Thanks: 180
Thanked 121 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I think the reason most (not all) of the mechanics are pissed off is because they hate working on them becuase they're all so complex.

However, if you look at the GMC and the Ford I have and compare repair history, there is no comparison.

'07 GMC DMAX: 75,000 miles no engine or drivetrain repairs.
'08 Ford 6.4L: 44,500 miles: Y pipe replaced (10.2 hours, cab removed), #5 injector, injector harness, low press fuel pump.

That's just my experience. I realize other people might have different experiences. The fuel economy on this truck is also terrible. If I'm getting 10 MPG empty, I'd be surprised.

Hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm thinking Dodge 5500 or an IH 4xxx with 4WD.

I couldn't agree more. These things are downright confusing when you pop the hood. I also agree that the mileage on these trucks are flat out terrible. I know were on winter diesel now, but fully deleted, I'm hand calculating to 15.7ish all highway at around 75 mph.

Dominic
'16 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, 3.73's, Aisin, 4x4
Eazydeezy is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Superdutytd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,126
Points: 30,435
Thanks: 28
Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
Images: 3
Honestly this is the reason I don't buy used Diesels because you never know how they were treated before you got them. The only one I ever bought used gave me problems (05 Ex) Just my .02, I know this doesn't help you. My 6.4 runs like a champ after 45,000 miles.

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55


Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
Superdutytd is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Superdutytd For this addition to TDG:
Duke (11-15-2011)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,051
Points: 122,940
Thanks: 340
Thanked 99 Times in 73 Posts
That's good to hear. At least there's hope.
I don't think the LP fuel pump, Y-pipe issue or #5 injector or wiring harness sound like previous owner abuse.
The only "abuse" I saw was that there quite a few scratches from sticker bushes on the paint.
Duke is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sat in a 6.7 today strokin it up 2011+ 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 12 04-22-2010 03:47 AM
I was at KTP today George C 2011+ 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 45 03-31-2010 01:56 PM
Can I Put J-Code Exhaust Manifolds On a C-Code Engine JLanzino 6.2L Diesel Engine 6 10-08-2009 03:29 AM
P1689 ERROR CODE - Cause of code Found! Mopar1973Man 5.9L Cummins (1998.5-2002) 6 02-02-2009 03:36 PM
Pulled a code today. Rainman 2008-2010 6.4L Engine Tuner Forum 6 05-08-2007 01:27 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome