Need some tips - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by myf350, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 894 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Need some tips

I am thinking about buying a truck I have been looking at. It's an 08 CC, DRW, 4wd, manual trans. It has about 115K on it and is stock. Just wondering if there is anything I should be looking for in particular. Not new to trucks or Superdutys, new to the 6.4 tho. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

SOLD...early 99 F350 CC 4WD SRW, Tymar intake, 4 in. turbo back straight pipe w/ 5 in. tip, DP tuner, 203 t-stat, Timbrens in the rear, front leveled, King Ranch wheels, ISSPro gauges, Weston brush guard, rebuilt my trans using a Torqueshift converter
08 CC LB DRW MT 4WD Ranch Hand bumpers...stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 AM

Here is my standard advice:

All of the new emissions controlled diesels are significantly more complex than the previous generations of diesels. They are reliable if properly maintained, but if maintenance is neglected they can go really bad really fast.

The DPF regen backstop is 667 miles, so it will regen at least that frequently whether the sensors indicate it needs it or not. If you have the new 11B23 flash, the regen message does not stay up on the display so you will most likely miss it. If you are paying attention you will notice it's in regen since it sounds a little different. If you have add on guages like a Scanguage II (recommended) you can see it by noting the high DPF temperature (~1,300 vs. ~500).

Here is the 6.4 recommended maintenance rundown:

* Oil changes at 5k miles, 5W-40 synthetic oil recommended, Motorcraft or Racor filters only. I recommend sending samples to Blackstone for analysis at each oil change, the trending information is invaluable. Buy the bulk pre-pay 6 pack test to save a few bucks.
* Fuel filter changes at 10k miles, FD4617, Motorcraft or Racor only.
* Use a quality fuel additive at every fill up such as the Ford PM22A/23A or Stanadyne. This helps with lubricity for the high pressure fuel pump and also helps increase the interval between DPF regens.
* Test the coolant nitrite level with the specified test strips at least every 20k, I recommend every 10k when doing the fuel filters since it's easy and the test strips are cheap. Add two bottles of VC-8 if needed. This helps avoid cavitation damage.
* Avoid bio-diesel and bio-diesel blends. 5% is the max for the 6.4 and even 5% has been reported to increase fuel dilution issues.

Other things to keep in mind are the 50k and 60k changes of rear diff fluid, trans fluid and transfer case fluid, and the 60k coolant flush with VC-9 and refill. Be sure to read both the owner's manual and the diesel supplement completely.

I highly recommend getting the service manual CD from HELM ($150) and studying it and the various other docs available on the forums to learn as much as you can about the truck and engine. The more you understand it, the more attuned you will be to any developing issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode