Good News...BAD News...and some questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Voortrekker, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 4020 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Good News...BAD News...and some questions

First the Good News: After several months of searching for the appropriate tow vehicle to match my wife's plan to move from our travel trailer to a 5th wheel, I purchased a 2010 Ford F-350, 6.4L PSD, CC, Dually from a dealer about 75 miles from home. Brought 'er home late yesterday afternoon, and took the wife out for dinner and a ride.

Now the BAD News: Got up this morning and decided to fire up the truck and go out to our local diner for breakfast....and NO start! Tried several times (and allowed the Glow Plug indicator to extinguish)...but not even a click from the starter. So...I checked the batteries and found them to be at 12.4 V. But since it was rather cold, I decided to hook up my battery charger. After about an hour, I tried to do a start....and Nothing! on the first two trys. On the third, she fired off...so fast, in fact, I didn't hear the starter crank at all.

Oh, there's even WORSE News: After about 20 min. of running, I noticed that the transmission temp gauge was mid-range, but the engine temp was still quite low. So...I decided to take 'er for a run to see if she'd warm up properly. After a couple of miles at 30 MPH, I got to a highway and took her up to 55. I only got about 2 miles down the road when I found the need to drift over and try to figure out why the engine had quit. She'd crank...but wouldn't fire. But after about 5 min. of sitting, I tried again and she fired right up. But that wasn't the end of the problem...long story short: The darn thing quit on me three more times as I struggled to get back home, only 5 miles away. Each time she'd quit, same story: crank but no fire, then sit a while and she'd run. I should add: This truck has only 12K miles on it..so it's barely broken in!

Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone agree that my current problem is fuel related: maybe a bad (intermittent) fuel pump? Or maybe an injector problem?

2) Is it normal for this model truck to have the tranny warm up before the engine?

3) I noticed that when I tried to start the truck, as I was limping home, the starter would crank even though the key wasn't being held in the forward/start position. Is this normal? (Yep, I only let 'er crank for 10 seconds or less).

And, finally, 4) the dealer claimed to have the oil changed while we were doing paperwork...but the current oil is not the honey color I see from new oil after a change in my gas engines. So...if I'm having fuel problems, could that be contaminating my oil? The thought did cross my mind that the oil may not actually have been changed!

Thanks in advance, folks, for any advice or answers you can provide.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 AM

This could be any number of things, a sensor going bad, happen on mine, bad fuel etc.

try draining some fuel from the fuel/water separator see if it is clean. Personally I would get it to the dealer and let them worry about it. It should still be under warranty. While you are there try to get an oasis report on it.

2008 FX4 3:73 ZF-6 SC SB Transfer Flow
Singles club member 166 H&S Mini, KEM Tunes, S&B intake
The Following User Says Thank You to pyro2nite For this addition to TDG:
Voortrekker (01-18-2012)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Mystery solved....

OK...I took the truck to the selling dealer today, and they determined that the fuel filters had clogged due to fuel gelling...because of the cold weather. Fuel filters replaced...and anti-gelling fluid added to fuel. All seems good now!

As for the other items: According to the Service Guy...the truck wouldn't turn over initially because the ECM saw a low fuel pressure indication. Also, I was told that the truck has a "one touch starting" feature....move the key into the start position and it will crank for a predetermined time...or start, which ever occurs first. The Tranny temp is likely to come up first because it has a smaller cooler than the engine. At least that's what they said. All other things checked out fine...the only "code" was for low fuel pressure. Whew!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 AM

on my truck the tran temp always warms up first and congrats on the new truck
The Following User Says Thank You to GUTTS For this addition to TDG:
Voortrekker (01-18-2012)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM

when i 1st got my truck new 5 years ago i embarassed myself with the "black" oil. after an oil cng. this was my 1st diesel. u prob know now its normal.

LUCK IS WHERE OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION.
The Following User Says Thank You to quick83 For this addition to TDG:
Voortrekker (01-18-2012)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Black oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
when i 1st got my truck new 5 years ago i embarassed myself with the "black" oil. after an oil cng. this was my 1st diesel. u prob know now its normal.
Humm... Can anyone explain why the oil wouldn't appear clean after a change?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voortrekker View Post
Diesel engine will produce black oil in the crankcase faster than a gasser. The oil turns black because the detergents in the oil are carrying the carbon etc to the filter. If it was not doing this your engine would gum up inside.

2008 FX4 3:73 ZF-6 SC SB Transfer Flow
Singles club member 166 H&S Mini, KEM Tunes, S&B intake
The Following User Says Thank You to pyro2nite For this addition to TDG:
Voortrekker (01-18-2012)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 AM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
Quote:
In 3 words. Exhaust Gas Recirculation or EGR... Diesel oil will always look more dirty but with an EGR equipped diesel it goes from clean/brand new to filthy in about 100 miles.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
The Following User Says Thank You to neeltburn For this addition to TDG:
Voortrekker (01-19-2012)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
TDG Mafia Member #25

Quote:

As for the other items: According to the Service Guy...the truck wouldn't turn over initially because the ECM saw a low fuel pressure indication. Also, I was told that the truck has a "one touch starting" feature....move the key into the start position and it will crank for a predetermined time...or start, which ever occurs first. The Tranny temp is likely to come up first because it has a smaller cooler than the engine. At least that's what they said. All other things checked out fine...the only "code" was for low fuel pressure. Whew!
Can't tell you about the trans, as I have a stick, but I've never noticed a "one touch start" feature.

Adrianspeeder
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder View Post
Can't tell you about the trans, as I have a stick, but I've never noticed a "one touch start" feature.

Adrianspeeder
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2010 F-350 XLT. You don't have to hold the key in start position....just move it there, release the key, and it will either start or stop cranking after 10 seconds. Give it a try....you either have it or you don't. I don't know what yr it was introduced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode