too much vs enough hp - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kycott, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1414 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

too much vs enough hp

i have looked over a lot of posts regarding tuners, exhaust mods and intakes. i feel like im beating a dead horse by asking. i know how much more responsive these engines are after tuning, but how much is too much. where does a guy draw the line? at what point will the HP gains be to risky to run and comprimise the reliabilty of this engine? i paid good money, as we all have for our trucks and do want to have some fun with it. But i dont want to have pre mature engine failure. i realise that spartan and h&s are both good products and i dont wanna hear back and forth BS. i am just curious at what a guy can safely run for hp gains....

1992 F250 7.3 Powerstroke conversion 6" Skyjacker lift straight piped MBRP 4" exhaust dana 60 swap completed

Canadian Club Member #57
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i figured that there would be a few comments by now......

1992 F250 7.3 Powerstroke conversion 6" Skyjacker lift straight piped MBRP 4" exhaust dana 60 swap completed

Canadian Club Member #57
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM

All of what you have asked will give you quick throttle response. There are forums out there including this one that will answer all of your questions in detail. In short if you drive your truck responsibly with a tuner it last a lifetime without issue. If you drive like a mad man be prepared to pay

2008 Job 1 F250 CC 4X4 SB Stock
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 AM

People will destroy their engines with stock HP driving like an idiot. Also people have engines with long life and big HP numbers driving responsible.. It's up to you to make the call on when enough is enough.

2008 FX4 3:73 ZF-6 SC SB Transfer Flow
Singles club member 166 H&S Mini, KEM Tunes, S&B intake
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Oldfart

I don't think there is enough data yet to clearly answer your question. By the time there is enough data you will probably have another truck. We have a truck that had a very short run, 3 years. Not enough trucks built to get and meaningful data. But i do see them around now with 250,000 miles and they are still running. My truck has been deleted for 8000 miles and it does as you said run so much better. Also, I sent an oil sample at 5000 miles and it was perfect, the best report I ever had. So I expect to get to 150 to 175 thousand miles without a majot problem. I run an edge programmer on step 1 only (+35HP). I had the same concerns you expressed so I drive it like an old man, which is easy for me becaquse I am an old man. Now, I don't think there are any free lunches, if you load up with a big HP tuner and run the truck like a drag racer or use it to pull sleds then I think you would probably have an early engine failure, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. This is probably not very helpful but in the end you are gonna just have to make your own decision and live with it. Hope this helps you decide,

2008 F350, 6.4L, DRW, 4.30 Diff, Titan 60 gallon fuel tank. Bone stock with just a little truck "bling".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode