Broke off my EGT sensor in the pipe - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Matthew, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 6813 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Broke off my EGT sensor in the pipe

Well, title says it all. I had a check engine light on with codes for my #3 Egt sensor. I figured I could just replace it myself at home instead of paying princely sums of money to the dealership, but it was seized and broke off in the pipe. I even heated it with a propane torch but no go. Now the truck doesn't even crank over and there is an error message in the gauge cluster.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Have you been able to drill it out and repair the threads, or better yet, is there a source for a replacement threaded bung I could weld on???

Any help is appreciated.

2010 F350 4x4 6.4 Weekend toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 PM

I'm assuming this is on the 2010 6.4 in your signature line, if so then there is a solution for your issue. You can get a replacement threaded sensor bung on ebay for about 30 bucks and weld it on. You can either heat the old one till it glows and twist if off with a vice grips, or you can drill a hole next to it and weld on the new one. Then just screw a new sensor in and you'll be golden. I run in to this problem sometimes at work. It's really hard to drill out the old sensor and still have enough threads left to hold the new one in so I prefer just removing the old bung and installing a new one. I even got my parts department to keep some of these in stock. Ford doesn't sell these, but here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-style-exh...a90953&vxp=mtr

Or just do a search on ebay for Powerstroke egt bung, it should come up for you. Ford has improved the sensors and the new ones are likely going to last longer than the original. Also, if you don't have a welder, you can unbolt your whole DPF and bring it to a local welding shop to have them weld the new bung on for you. I hope this helps.

Ford Diesel Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic_N For this addition to TDG:
Matthew (08-17-2013)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Aimless Wanderer

This happens a lot more than it should in all vehicles. I usually take a hole saw that just fits over the existing bung and core it out. A new one is then welded in. Carquest has them in packages and they are less then $10.00 each.

Don't remember replacing one in your exact application however.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

You da man Vic!!! I ordered one of those bungs on ebay and it showed up
on Tuesday. Today I finally got around to welding it in and now I'm back up and running for less than $40.

Many thanks my friend

2010 F350 4x4 6.4 Weekend toy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 PM

Matthew, I'm glad I could help, and I'm glad it worked out for you! Those replacement egt bungs have saved my bacon more than a few times now. I wish they would anti-seize those sensors from the factory or something because it seems I end up breaking them off more often than not. Here is an updated link to the ebay listing for anyone else who needs one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-style-exh...9a4700&vxp=mtr

~Vic

Ford Diesel Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic_N For this addition to TDG:
Matthew (08-17-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode