6.0 - Vs - 6.4 Dead Stop To Wot!!!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tripplejl, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 2381 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

6.0 - Vs - 6.4 Dead Stop To Wot!!!!

I just got back in from running a new 2008 F-250 Powerstroke S/C 4x4. WOW! Ford has made one helluva truck available to us. First of all I did indeed notice how quiet this truck is upon cold start up and going down the road. We took this 6.4 PSD and lined it up with a 2007 6.0 PSD S/C 4x4 and took off from a dead start. I will get to the results in just a minute but I wanted to let everyone know that we were comparing apples to apples for the test. Both trucks are Supercab short box 4x4's, Both with 3:73 gears, both w/ Torqueshift Auto,s, both with 18" rubber one being an 08 Lariat with 22 miles and the other being an 07 Sport with 130 miles. The first run we took was from a stop in 4wd. There was NO comparison. The 08 6.4 easily outran the 6.0 in every gear. Giving the 6.0 the benifit of the doubt we decided that we would run it up and down the road for a while to loosen it up and get everything good and hot to make positively sure that everything was working to its potential. 2cd run we stopped and lined them up, once again in 4WD, I was in the 08 and let my buddy in the 07 spool up its turbo and let him take off first. Not until he was rolling at full throttle and a fender and half a door in front of me did I touch the throttle. Once I rolled into the 6.4 I was amazed at the ground that I made up after he already had a good jump on me. By the time the 08 was shifting into second gear we were already pretty close to dead even and when the 08 shifted into 3rd it was all over as I was steadily putting distance between us. Sorry this is so long but I am stoked about the improvements Ford has made on the the Super Duty and I am not just talking about it out running the 6.0. This truck and I do mean truck in every sense of the word is absolutely the best truck I have been fortunate enough to drive. The interior is something of luxury and well laid out. The 08 is very quite as others have said before. The power fold telescopic mirrors are awesome, the tailgate step is very practical and solid. The power is decieving. It is quiet and smooth which may lead someone to believe that it isnt as powerfull or as quick as its replacement. After we drove this awesome piece of machinery and lined the 6.4 and the 6.0 up for battle there is no question left in my mind on which PSD comes out on top. The 6.4 Super Duty is the next truck I will own. ONCE AGAIN SORRY THIS IS SO LONG BUT I HAD TO TELL YOU MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEW DIESEL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM
K45

Now this is what I wanted to hear ! Nice review.

Thanks
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
MAFIA #8

Garage
good write up man.

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Excellent, real world type write up. It's great that you used similarly configured trucks. Most of the morons doing the truck tests in the magazines can't even seem to do that right.

Did you two happen to switch trucks when you raced? Just to make sure you're not a lot better racer than him?

We compared a chipped 7.3L to a 6L once and they were within a truck length after about 45 MPH, the 6L being a tad faster. We found that when we switched drivers, the opposite happened. So really it was that one guy just knew how to race better than the other guy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Excellent, real world type write up. It's great that you used similarly configured trucks. Most of the morons doing the truck tests in the magazines can't even seem to do that right.

Did you two happen to switch trucks when you raced? Just to make sure you're not a lot better racer than him?

We compared a chipped 7.3L to a 6L once and they were within a truck length after about 45 MPH, the 6L being a tad faster. We found that when we switched drivers, the opposite happened. So really it was that one guy just knew how to race better than the other guy.
We didnt feel the need to swap drivers because we were doing straight line runs on the open road and we were not manipulating shifts. We were putting it in drive and letting the transmission do all the work while flat footing the throttle. We figured that this took the "driver" variable out of the picture at least for the most part. The second run that we took I gave him ground. He was spooled, moving and a nose ahead before I got into the throttle on the 08 and not only did I catch the 6.0 when it shifted into second, but the mighty 6.4 out muscled and pulled the 6.0 when we went into third gear. In my opinion it didnt come down to who was a better driver as we were just flat footing the throttle and smiling. This is plain and simply getting the power to the ground. Besides I didnt want to switch drivers because I was having way to much fun:Thumbup: :Thumbup: Like a kid in a candy store so to speak!: YOU GUYS HAVE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON ONE AND DRIVE IT.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Mafia member #6

Garage
Hopefully I will be driving mine friday and going on a 500 mile round trip this weekend.. :Thumbup:

2011 SD F350 6.7L
White Platinum Tri Coat
Lariat Ultimate Pkg.
GenII Warn winch mount
Autospring 2" Leveling Kit
35/12.50/20 Toyo M/T's
Dually rear center light
6K HID Headlights/fogs

2008 SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (SOLD)
2010 Camo Outlander 800XT DPS
Rollin' on 30" zilla's

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Hopefully I will be driving mine friday and going on a 500 mile round trip this weekend.. :Thumbup:
Good Luck with your trip. Let me know what you get for fuel milage with your new truck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Retread

Great write up!:Thumbup: Maybe next time you can get a hold of one of the competitor's rigs to play with. You're the only one who has lined up two equally equipped trucks to see what the real results are. Good job.

"The Diesel Garage Rocks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnrans
Great write up!:Thumbup: Maybe next time you can get a hold of one of the competitor's rigs to play with. You're the only one who has lined up two equally equipped trucks to see what the real results are. Good job.
I would love to run it against the competition out of the box stock for stock to see how the Super Duty stands up. I do believe that this truck will put the shine back on Ford's Blue Oval for Diesel customers but only time will tell.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Destroked

Good job man!!!!!

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode