Test Drive 08 450 4x4 4.88 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ACC inc., this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 840 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
General Contractor

Test Drive 08 450 4x4 4.88

Well here is on more story for you guys. I went to the dealer today and wanted to test drive the "King of the Hill" It was a dark shadow grey F-450 with the 4.88 rears and the traction tires. Heavy duty suspension, Loaded Lariat 4x4 with the auto and 6.4.

First off the truck seems to start louder than the 6.0 but it idles at a whisper. I love the new mirrors, and think the interior is a step above the rest. I test drove the truck for an hour and put 40 miles on it. The seats still hurt my ***** laugh. I didn't care for the shorter shift lever. When I went to shift it in drive it was in neutral. Not a major problem but different from my 05. The tranny shifts were not even felt. The truck seemed to have a very torquey pedal. Almost no turbo lag. The truck seems to always have a little boost so it drove very much like a gasser. Had a Moron pull out in front of us while accelerating and had to slam on the brakes. Put it this way They were pretty dam good. With the 4.88 the engine was between 2700 and 2800 at 70 MPHh . The dash MPG for the trip Mostly highway said 10.5. The truck was a 4x4 and was siting next to a 4x2 and I couldn't tell the difference. At speed on the highway the front end seemed very loose (Turned too easily Floated) to me the same as the 05 before the camber alignment to fix the death wobble. Truck ride was smoother than my 05 even with the up graded suspension and the traction tires. All in all I liked the truck alot. When I get one it will have the 4.30 rear in it. Even though It will tow heavy 40-50% I will not go with the 4.88 it is just too low at highway speeds. The truck is an awesome machine.

:bow: 2005 Ford F-350 CC 4x4 Dually. Of course :agreed: 6.0 PSD with Torqueshift Tranny.
Big Black Beast. :evil:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 AM

i had nearly the same exact experience, except my drive was much shorter, and mileage was horrible, only like 9 i think it was. the truck is nice, interior is really not that nice either. all it is, is the f150 interior. and what is funny to me is many people said they were not fond of the f150 interior when it came out. i too am waiting to find one with 4.30 gears to drive one first, and feel the way it is on the highway. the 4.30 will pull just fine, 4.88 is just too much. plus the 4.30 auto will allow the engine to be full power level and the 4.88 will be governed down to only 600 torque.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode