6.4 Problems!!!!!!!!!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Muddin, this thread has received 35 replies and been viewed 6734 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
FORD For Off Road Driving

6.4 Problems!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I just got the word from a reliable source at Ford Motor Co that they have had some serious problems with several 6.4's!!!!

He said that an employee was driving one from a dealership to another dealership and an internal high pressure fuel line BLEW UP causing the motor to hydrolock and seize up!!!!!! After further inspection they estimate the line pressure reaching over 12,000 PSI to cause this failure. He said that when it happened, the motor "ran away" and accelerated until he shut the key off. If he had not shut the key off the motor itself would have blown!!!!!! My source looked into this and found several other cases with the same problem. He said they have the Navistar tech's trying to figure out what happened but at this point they don't have a clue!!!

This does not look good for Ford!! Ford said they did a 300,000 + mile test with the 6.4 before its release. I guess this may be like the 6.0 where some are fine and some have problems.... It may depend what day of the week it was made etc....

Muddin

Truck #1 info: Early '99, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, Ext. Cab.
Mods: BTS TRANNY!!, DP Tuner, Rockwell 2 1/2 ton military axles!
Truck #2 info:'02, 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4, DRW, CC.
Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch

Muddin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Ok, i am gonna say a little something here. I have never heard of any perfect motor right out of the factory right after it has been released. Every motor just after being released has some bugs to work out. I think that people are just really really jumpy after the 6.0. Nothing more than that. Give the motor a little time and see what happens with it.

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Diesel
Ok, i am gonna say a little something here. I have never heard of any perfect motor right out of the factory right after it has been released. Every motor just after being released has some bugs to work out. I think that people are just really really jumpy after the 6.0. Nothing more than that. Give the motor a little time and see what happens with it.
I'm with him !!! crap happens no mechanical device is ever perfect its like chicken little on the ford forums evertime something happens its look more 6.0L bull***** when really its small hiccups in the grander scale. I'm sure the cummins and dmax have problems too its just that ther're not under the microscope right now.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
internal high pressure fuel line BLEW UP causing the motor to hydrolock and seize up!!!!!!
Quote:
He said that when it happened, the motor "ran away" and accelerated until he shut the key off. If he had not shut the key off the motor itself would have blown!!!!!!
OK, so which is it?

A hydrolocked engine will sieze pretty quick. If it "shut off" with the key, I'd say it was just timing. Either way, there has got to be damage somewhere else.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:03 PM

sounds like bs to me, how can it run away if it hydrolocked? i wish more people would post the good and not the a friend of a guy of a friend who knows a guy storys. like posted above this motor will be under the microscope for awhile.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
FORD For Off Road Driving
Threadstarter

Well guys I should have expected this response when I posted this I guess. Im not trying to start crap about the 6.4 I thought some people might have more info or maybe have heard more about this same problem.

Yes, all engines have problems when they're first introduced but ford has done endless testing on this engine to "limit" potential problems b/c they are definately "under the microscope" with all the problems from the "6.ohoh" Previous engines may have had problems initially too. However, I doubt Ford had to go through a law suit over billions of dollars in warranty issues from all of them combined. So yes they're under the microscope and its well deserved with the recent history! laugh

As for the hydrolock issue, the motor did run away and it did hydrolock after being shut down. I have not seen the truck but from what I found after searching, there was an earlier issue with "over tightening" of the injectors causing a similar problem by dumping a LOT fuel. I'm not sure how that would cause fuel to dump unless it damaged the injector in some way. I have not found any more info about the previous injector problem though.

Truck #1 info: Early '99, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, Ext. Cab.
Mods: BTS TRANNY!!, DP Tuner, Rockwell 2 1/2 ton military axles!
Truck #2 info:'02, 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4, DRW, CC.
Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch

Muddin
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 AM

when ever you make this many of anything something will go wrong with some of the parts. you just hope its not yours that has the problem and pray its not a trend. Im still holding my breath on the truck i got today. I WILL be talking to you guys either way it goes!!!!!!!!! Its like our bodies wether you like it or not and some poeple are born with probs allready and there are alot that are ok for a long time.,
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Hopefully this issue isnt going to affect the launch of the SD trucks too much,and they fix it asap.On another site,I heard a similar rumor,but didnt bother to post it here,since i didnt know if it was true or not,but it looks like they were tellin the truth.The truck they had was still running in thr shop,but poorly and the crankcase was reportedly full of fuel.

2000 Dodge CTD 2500 4x4,Qcab SWB, 4.10 LSD,PDR cam,PDR twins,DonM 6,Edge Drag Comp,RASP fuel system,DTT trans,Blizzard 810,Sidewing plow,Trynex Vp8000,Sunnybrook 3310
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
an internal high pressure fuel line BLEW UP causing the motor to hydrolock and seize up!!!!!! After further inspection they estimate the line pressure reaching over 12,000 PSI to cause this failure. He said that when it happened, the motor "ran away" and accelerated until he shut the key off. If he had not shut the key off the motor itself would have blown!!!!!! My source looked into this and found several other cases with the same problem. He said they have the Navistar tech's trying to figure out what happened but at this point they don't have a clue!!!
:umno:

To my knowledge there is no high pressure fuel line that could put fuel into the combustion chamber. It is not possible. I do not think Navistar would have took the time to have a intake fitted with a high pressure fuel line running threw it. It would not make no sense. And other than that fuel can not get to the cylinders other than the injectors.

I could understand a injector tip breaking of or splitting open and stuck open. Highly unlikely.

I am ready to believe a thread like this when a 6.4L owner comes on hear and says his truck ran off on him and blew up.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM

I am ready to believe a thread like this when a 6.4L owner comes on hear and says his truck ran off on him and blew up.[/QUOTE]

Word!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode