6.4 problems by owners - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Boulder GT3, this thread has received 63 replies and been viewed 6163 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

6.4 problems by owners

In an attempt to seperate fact from fiction, if you own a 6.4 please post any problems you have had or are having.

I was at two large dealers this week and neither had any 6.4's come back. One had received six calls from customers when the truck went into re-gen and the customer didn't understand it. FWIW, I think the re-gen is barely noticable. There have been thousands delivered so there should be some owners with first hand experience of failure just by the law of averages.

It hard to tell whats true when stories get amplified by people playing "telehone" across the internet or they have a desire to dengrate the truck. So again, if you have first hand experience with failures what have the problems been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
In an attempt to seperate fact from fiction, if you own a 6.4 please post any problems you have had or are having.

I was at two large dealers this week and neither had any 6.4's come back. One had received six calls from customers when the truck went into re-gen and the customer didn't understand it. FWIW, I think the re-gen is barely noticable. There have been thousands delivered so there should be some owners with first hand experience of failure just by the law of averages.

It hard to tell whats true when stories get amplified by people playing "telehone" across the internet or they have a desire to dengrate the truck. So again, if you have first hand experience with failures what have the problems been?
All this chat by non-owners of 6.4's of problems but not one comment yet by an owner? There are thousands of 6.4's out there, somebody must be having problems first hand as opposed to hearing about them from the ether of the internet.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 PM

300 miles, no probs yet....ran it hard last night for about 20 minets and the idle went up one time when I got to my destination and then went back to normal. someone did beep 2 xs around me when i was under a hard excelleration, making me wonder if i had flames shooting out....it prob was just a coincidence, but now im spooked....getting reflash tomarrow(i think). they were prob just beeping at someone else.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well flame me if you want, I do not OWN one, but I have driven them for work, and have not experienced any problem at all. Not even a regen.

Distance: A few hundred miles over three days.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:01 PM

I just hate havin this uneasy feeling after spening so much money and having so much faith in ford, im getting a bad feeling about all this now and will not be suprised if this can not be fixed and ford buys back all the trucks under a saftey recall. we will see. you will not find anyone else, more than me that is bleeding blue and wanted ford to succeed with this truk and i was betting on them and expected and bragged it would be great with no major probs, we are gonna be the laughing stock of america, look even all you are doing it...i know its all in fun but behind every little dig ther is a barb of truth and the us market will have a hayday with this on the national news!!!!! If I HAVE to give my truck back i will have to buy something else. that is sad.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICK83
I just hate havin this uneasy feeling after spening so much money and having so much faith in ford, im getting a bad feeling about all this now and will not be suprised if this can not be fixed and ford buys back all the trucks under a saftey recall. we will see. you will not find anyone else, more than me that is bleeding blue and wanted ford to succeed with this truk and i was betting on them and expected and bragged it would be great with no major probs, we are gonna be the laughing stock of america, look even all you are doing it...i know its all in fun but behind every little dig ther is a barb of truth and the us market will have a hayday with this on the national news!!!!! If I HAVE to give my truck back i will have to buy something else. that is sad.
If you are that uneasy you shouldn't buy one. A Dodge or GM classic is probably a "safer" bet but you can get a stinker even with an older design.

I've got one of the first ones and I couldn't be happier. The key there is that I actually own one and am driving it.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 PM
'Ol Builder guy

You can't buy a 6.4L anymore even if you wanted to.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...350/1002/rss02
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke

My guess is that you can still order one but it won't be delivered without the new S/W load. Randy would know.

I would still say that if a potential customer is that "jumpy" they should wait or buy something else anyways. The other brands are fine. They wouldn't want something to happen that would destine them to a life of whining on the internet.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke

Ford has the new calibration out to solve the flame thrower problem. The trucks were off the market for 1 - 2 days and are no back on the market for sale but you probably wont read or see that in the media.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 01:12 PM

I just picked up my new 08 on tuesday, and I only have 200 miles on it. On Saturday I was parked in my driveway and the truck started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours. Once I put the truck in drive it started to blow blue and white smoke out the exhaust. It smelled like burning diesel fuel. I contacted the dealership and they have no clue what the problem is. They said there is a recall on all 08's 6.4 engines but didn't have the computer disk to fix the recall. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode