anyone have this problem with their 6.4 diesel? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ROCCO, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 4007 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

anyone have this problem with their 6.4 diesel?

I just picked up my new 08 on tuesday, and I only have 200 miles on it. On Saturday I was parked in my driveway and the truck started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours. Once I put the truck in drive it started to blow blue and white smoke out the exhaust. It smelled like burning diesel fuel. I contacted the dealership and they have no clue what the problem is. They said there is a recall on all 08's 6.4 engines but didn't have the computer disk to fix the recall. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:01 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCCO
I just picked up my new 08 on tuesday, and I only have 200 miles on it. On Saturday I was parked in my driveway and the truck started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours. Once I put the truck in drive it started to blow blue and white smoke out the exhaust. It smelled like burning diesel fuel. I contacted the dealership and they have no clue what the problem is. They said there is a recall on all 08's 6.4 engines but didn't have the computer disk to fix the recall. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Sounds like it went into regen mode.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM

Shouldn't be blowing smoke during regen. Purpose of DPF is to clean the exhaust. I think Ford has seriously misprogrammed something in their regen mode, causing excessive heat, smoke, fire.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the after treatment system, Ford or IH? Duke, might be a good thread.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Destroked

I would agree with Duke, but you may be one of the few that are due for that recall on the flame issue. I would assume that Ford would be the resposible party on the DPF system. Ford would have to be the one to design it to meet thier truck configurations.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 PM

There should not be excessive smoke on a Regen. Some white smoke but not much. I have only seen one go into Regen but it was not like what you described. Take the truck in tomorrow to the dealer is my advice.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you let it idle for 4-5 hours
Quote:
"started to idle up after running for 4-5 hours."
, ANYTHING is possible.

One of the things the consumers WILL learn about the 2007 up emissions diesels, is that if you don't NEED a diesel (for work), you should not get one.

These engines (CAT, Cummins, International, Isuzu (GM)) are NOT intended to idle, AT ALL.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM

What are Ambulances supposed to do?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacgmc
Shouldn't be blowing smoke during regen. Purpose of DPF is to clean the exhaust. I think Ford has seriously misprogrammed something in their regen mode, causing excessive heat, smoke, fire.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the after treatment system, Ford or IH? Duke, might be a good thread.
We posted a picture here a few months back of an IH regen system on an IH truck. It was made bu FUJI Heavy Industries.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if that's who Ford uses. Maybe one of our new 6.4L owners can do us a solid and see if there's a manufacturer name on the regen system.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Mafia member #6

Garage
Where would the name be and I'll take a look..

2011 SD F350 6.7L
White Platinum Tri Coat
Lariat Ultimate Pkg.
GenII Warn winch mount
Autospring 2" Leveling Kit
35/12.50/20 Toyo M/T's
Dually rear center light
6K HID Headlights/fogs

2008 SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (SOLD)
2010 Camo Outlander 800XT DPS
Rollin' on 30" zilla's

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

I know that Ford is responsible to the after-treatment system, and International is not.

That is not to say they do not use some of the same or similar components, even some from the same vendor.

As far as Ambulances, you cannot get the 6.4L PSD in a Van/commercial cut-away with Ambulance prep, so there is no problem.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode