recall info. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rainman, this thread has received 22 replies and been viewed 1846 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

recall info.

Ford published the following on 3/26 to answer some questions regarding the recall. It may clear up some confusion here, as well:

"Questions and Answers

Q1. Is this a safety recall?
A1. Yes, this is a Ford-initiated voluntary safety recall.

Q2. What is the cause of the tailpipe issue?
A2. In rare instances, the diesel particulate filter can generate excessive temperatures that could result in flame at the tailpipe.

Q3. What causes the excessive temperatures in the diesel particulate filter?
A3. A build up of hydrocarbons within the filter. Under normal circumstances, the diesel particulate filter collects particulate matter from the exhaust and then safely burns it to clean the filter. A build up of hydrocarbons in the filter may cause higher temperatures than necessary for cleaning.

Q4. What is the source of the hydrocarbons and how do they reach the filter?
A4. Hydrocarbons are found in fluids such as engine coolant, engine oil and diesel fuel. Normally, these fluids do not reach the exhaust. However, in rare circumstances, a leak within the engine could cause these fluids to enter the exhaust system and reach the filter.

Q5. How does fuel or oil reach the exhaust system?
A5. Some possible examples are a fuel injector stuck open or a leaking turbo shaft seal.

Q6. What are potential symptoms a driver may notice if they experience this concern before the recall is performed?
A6. In the rare case that vehicle owners experience this concern, the Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster may illuminate, and they may note a lack of power or rough engine operation. They may also hear abnormal noise from the engine or the exhaust and possibly see white smoke or a flame emitting from the exhaust tailpipe.

Q7. After the recall repair is performed, what symptoms will the customer notice if the PCM detects excessive heat from the DPF?
A7. The system acts to prevent any flame from emitting from the tailpipe. The software will reduce fuel flow and air flow to the engine to allow the diesel particulate filter to cool. If an over temperature event occurs, the driver of the vehicle will notice the following:

1. The Check Engine indicator lamp in the instrument cluster will flash, warning the driver to pull over to the side of the road as soon as safely possible.
2. Engine RPM will be reduced to idle after 3 5 seconds. Power steering and power braking assist will not be affected but the customer will not be able to accelerate the vehicle beyond idle speed.

Q8. Have there been any reports of fires caused by a Super Duty?
A8. As of the date of this publication, we received a single report of a grass fire, with no injuries. We have received only three reports to date of flame from the tailpipe across the U.S. and Canada.

Q9. I have heard that installing the new PCM program could cause the ABS light or Check Engine light to remain illuminated?
A9. Many dealers have completed the PCM reprogramming using IDS without any concerns. We have identified a few common concerns that have been experienced. Here are some tips to follow:

1. Make sure that your IDS is updated to release 48.5 Patch 3 or later. You can verify your level by viewing the "System Utilities" screen.
2. If the correct last 8 digits of the VIN cannot be viewed from the vehicle ID screen on the IDS, please enter them manually.
3. If after reprogramming you have hard fault P1639 or P1635, please perform Programmable Module Installation for the PCM in the same IDS session. Do not delete the current session as this will take longer to correct.
4. Be sure to pull and clear all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTC's) after the PCM reprogramming is completed. If you don't do this, it is possible that indicator lights could be illuminated.
5. When you have completed the PCM reprogramming on an affected vehicle, be sure to close the session before connecting to the next vehicle. Do not use the same IDS session to reprogram several different trucks. Every vehicle needs to have its own IDS session to ensure the correct information is used to reprogram each PCM.

Q10. When will you begin mailing customer letters?
A10. We expect to begin mailing customer letters the week of April 2, 2007.

Q11. Should owners stop driving their vehicles?
A11. We are not instructing customers to stop driving their vehicles. Customers should, however, take their vehicles to their Ford dealer to receive the software update as soon as possible.

Q12. Will the condition occur when the vehicle is shut off?
A12. No, the condition does not occur when the engine is off.

Q13. Are there any other changes associated with this calibration that a customer may notice?
A13. Yes. This calibration will also address other drivability and Check Engine indicator light concerns that could be experienced during normal operation. Please refer to Special Service Message (SSM) 19683 for further details."

Forgot to add, here's the text from SSM 19683:

"19683 6.4-CALIBRATION UPDATE-DTC'S P132B,P0128,P0684,P0231,P2291,P2459,P0500,P0102, P242C,P242D,P2032,P2033. A/C INOP, MANUAL TRANS CONCERNS, AND DPF IMPROVEMENTS.

2008 F-SUPER DUTY WITH 6.4L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE 3/9/07; FSA 07S49 CALIBRATION UPDATES ALSO ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING DTC'S: P132B, P0128, P0684, P0231, P2291, P2459, P0500, P0102; AND DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER SYSTEM CODES P242C, P242D, P2032, P2033 - WHICH WILL NOW INITIATE A BLINKING MIL, REDUCE ENGINE POWER, AND REDUCED IDLE QUALITY TO ALERT THE USER OF A FAULT REQUIRING VEHICLE SERVICE. ADDITIONAL IMPROVEMENTS INCLUDE: DRIVABILITY DURING DPF REGENERATION INCLUDING HIGH ENGINE SPEED DURING CLUTCH OPERATION ON MANUAL TRANSMISSION EQUIPPED VEHICLES, BUCK/JERK/SURGE, TIP IN/TIP OUT FEEL FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION, AND A/C CONCERNS WITHOUT DTC'S AT COLD AMBIENT OR IN PDI. REPROGRAM ECM PER FSA PRIOR TO DIAGNOSIS AND CLEAR ALL DTC'S AFTER PROGRAMMING. FOR DTC'S GENERATED AFTER REPROGRAM, FOLLOW NORMAL PROCEDURES."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Sorry Ford I refuse to get this recall, my trucks not going to be stopping in its tracks over exhaust temps. This cannot be the answer.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

I too won't do the recall
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM

Starting to sound like the engine shutdown systems that have been on Class 8's for about 20yrs.
When the engine shutdown light comes on, you better hit the shoulder before it shuts itself off :

Of course in that case it's usually to protect the engine, not the emission systemlaugh

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, I think it's a bad situation when an ambulance powered by a 6.4L must pull over to regen on the way to an emergency.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Let Me See Yo Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, I think it's a bad situation when an ambulance powered by a 6.4L must pull over to regen on the way to an emergency.

this is true, very true. Especially if you're the one in the back of the ambulance!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
'Ol Builder guy

The really big question is, IF this regen process is "random" and could happen at any time (even at a bad time) it surely must be affecting GM & DC diesels as well.

And how about Freightliner & IH ambulances & other brands of rescue equipment?

Really makes me think that rescue equipment must have some kind of over ride, or people could die.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Guys the normal regen process is not affected and it will only go to an idle if the pcm senses on over temp condition in the DPF. The truck will still go down the road during a regen event

06 F-350 Crewcab 5.9 CR
03 Excursion 6.0
99 F-250 7.3
97 Dodge 3500 5.9
95 F-250 7.3
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to deere puller Send a message via Yahoo to deere puller
The ambulance thing is not a prob for most, They wont fit in the engine compartment of the E chassis and I was at the local fire station the other day and they had a article hanging on the wall that ford said they were going to stop building the type two(e350) and type 3( E450) ambulance chassis. This article was from ford so I think it is true, they also had something there from the ambulance manufacturers and they said they didnt know what they were going to do, they said there bodies had been designed for the E chassis for 20+ yrs. said they thought they would try to use pickup chassis but didnt sound to promising
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I would hate to be caught in idle mode on the drag strip. But the main reason I'm not getting this flash is because how well my truck runs now. The regen process is barley noticeable and has been a non issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode