Clearance lamp/light install... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_Hanging_Heels, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1041 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Clearance lamp/light install...

So i got my new 08 psd f250 last week, and i love it. So as i was noticing other new 08's i saw they had the clearnce lamp/lights on the roof and saw that i didnt get them when i purchased my truck (lame, i know...) but anyways im going to order the lights and wires/harness from the dealer on monday. My question is does anybody know how to install these properly... i was reading up on it a little and i know i have to drop the headliner... so i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how to do something like this. Also i was thinking about how i am going to get the lights perfect looking (oem) as the other 08's so i was going to make a template from another truck and just lay it down on mine and drill the holes... does aybody have any other suggestion on what i should do? Also what kind of silicone should i use to seal the holes underneath the lights once i lay them down, i dont want any water or anyhting leaking through at all! any information or process on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Bailey47

Clearance Lights

I just ordered a F450, Wish I could have deleted the roof lights. They serve no purpose and detract from the look of the truck!:shrug:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Bailey47

Clearance Lights

From past experience, I think I would wait a few days/weeks and make sure you really want to drill holes in your roof and drop the headliner. Good Luck!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 05:55 PM
TDG Mafia Member #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey47
I just ordered a F450, Wish I could have deleted the roof lights. They serve no purpose and detract from the look of the truck!:shrug:
It's a DOT requirement on all dually trucks. I also like the look for the single rear wheel trucks.

Adrianspeeder
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 PM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Im sure the 08s are the same pattern as 99+ so look at this thread and there is a link on how to do it...

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanging_Heels
So i got my new 08 psd f250 last week, and i love it. So as i was noticing other new 08's i saw they had the clearnce lamp/lights on the roof and saw that i didnt get them when i purchased my truck (lame, i know...) but anyways im going to order the lights and wires/harness from the dealer on monday. My question is does anybody know how to install these properly... i was reading up on it a little and i know i have to drop the headliner... so i was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how to do something like this. Also i was thinking about how i am going to get the lights perfect looking (oem) as the other 08's so i was going to make a template from another truck and just lay it down on mine and drill the holes... does aybody have any other suggestion on what i should do? Also what kind of silicone should i use to seal the holes underneath the lights once i lay them down, i dont want any water or anyhting leaking through at all! any information or process on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The process should be no different than on any other 99-07 article you can find except as to where they plug and play. The cabs are basically the same, other than a few firewall, roof ridge, and floor pan modifications. I installed my own on myy 2000. I applied blue masking tape to the entire roof that was going to be exposed to metal shaving and pencil from laying out the lights. It's really not that big of a deal, measure twice, three times if it makes you feel better, drill once. I wouldn't bother with a template either. Just swing by a dealership and jot down some measurements. Transfer the measurements to the masking tape. There is no sealant needed on the lights. They have a neoprene type gasket made into them, and two studs that poke through the roof. You will drill 3 holes, and apply the nuts from the inside.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey47
What a girl.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Destroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatabudro
I applied blue masking tape to the entire roof that was going to be exposed to metal shaving and pencil from laying out the lights. .
This is a critical step. I had a place put cab lights on my '00 I had. They didnt cover the cab when they drilled and the hot shavings off the drill melted into the paint and as soon as it rained it left little rust spots all over the cab....: I was so pissed off. I was okay though cause I traded it on my '05 3 weeks later....It had cab lights...

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

so i got my clearance lamps today from the dealership, and they told me that my wiring harness that i am plugging into the lights should already be up under the headliner bc i have sattelite radio and it comes off of that??? So thats what the tech told me, does anyone else know anything about this....???
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 AM
MAFIA #8

Garage
I think your tech is wrong... unless there is a major change between previous years. You have to buy the harness also BUT if you have something up there it is a different harness then

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode