Mileage and diesel prices - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Boulder GT3, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1407 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mileage and diesel prices

I'm at about 5K miles and I think the mileage is about as good as it's going to get. 14.5-16.5 MPG at 70-80 with about 1K in the bed. 10MPG pulling a 10K car hauler at 70MPH. 12MPG pulling my 6K boat through the mountains. Within 1MPH of my 6.0 and not that far off of my 7.3 on the same roads with the same loads. An easy trade off for the refinement and power. Love the truck.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the change the change in diesel prices. It's gone from about a 30 cent premium over regular gas to about 10cents cheaper in the past week. The cost of the ULSD transition is finally going away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 PM

In my short 20 minutes driving an '08 6.4L I thought the power was similar to what I have now in a mildly modded 7.3L. I get the same mileage you are getting as well so I came to the conclusion that it wasn't an "easy trade off". What I really liked was the quiet cab. That might be worth it all by itself. No bashing, I was somewhat dissapointed that it wasn't "that much" better.

Diesel prices - for a long time diesel was the same or jsut a bit higher than premium gas or $.20 more than regular and now diesel is a full $.40 cheaper than regular gas here. None of the fuel is cheap right now but I am very glad to be driving a diesel now!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Diesel by me is $2.87, regular gas is $3.39...

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin05
Diesel by me is $2.87, regular gas is $3.39...
50 cents strikes me as a huge delta. When did the change transpire?

I had heard that once the refiners transitioned ULSD would again be less than gas for the same reasons it was cheaper before. That said, I guess I had become used to it being higher than gasoline. A pleasant surprise although still pricey.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
50 cents strikes me as a huge delta. When did the change transpire?

I had heard that once the refiners transitioned ULSD would again be less than gas for the same reasons it was cheaper before. That said, I guess I had become used to it being higher than gasoline. A pleasant surprise although still pricey.
No way. I have a feeling that diesel prices will bounce around and stay close to the price of mid grade or premuim gasoline. The demand for diesel is high and the profit potential is there. The oil companies are in business to make its billions and thats just what they are going to do. I read also that once they made up there money for the initial cost of switching to ULSD, diesel prices would fall, but you wait and see. something will happen. Prices will go back up and there excuse will either be that the cost of maintaining the equipment used to make ULSD is higher OR a pipe will brake, a plant will go down. It will be something.

When a line or plant goes down, the cost of fuel goes up. We (the consumer) pay for its repair while the oil companies continue to make its billions in profit. Well, if my sprinkler line breaks I (owner) have to pay for its repair. The oil companies should have to pay for its own repair. Thats just my opinion, but I know its not that simple. It should be but its not.

OK I am done venting:thanks:

My truck is a 2004 F250 4x4 6.0 CC LB Sport with black interior and quad captains chairs. Mods include; 2005 front fascia and head lamps, Custom front bumper with Piaa dual function lights, 2008 side mirrors, Cowl Hood, Recon truck lights, Line-X bedliner, Nathan K 5's with dual compressors and 17 gal tank, Retrax bed cover, 10" lift, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/T's, 456 gears, PML diff covers, Pro Comp ladder bars, Amp Research power steps, triple A-pillar with Dpricol gauges, Pioneer Z1 with Navigation, Boston Pros, Straight Pipe exhaust, air intake, Head Studs, Dfuser tunes and a Nasty ??? Alarm system. I removed all emblems and installed some front quarter panel vents.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Diesel has been around that here by me for a month now, at one point I paid $3.09 a gallon a few months back..what is funny to me is the difference in price between stations..A Marathon is $2.99, while the shell, and Amoco are $2.87 and $2.89 ....gas prices within the last few weeks have just kept rising..I put fuel in my truck on Saturday, and it was $2.87 a gallon..while 87 octane at the same gas station was 3.37...

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
gotta love black smoke!

Well I worked on a guys house that was a gm of a oil refinery here in SLC(wont say which one) He said it cost about 3 billion for the sulfer machine per plant. Now I thought about this he said that most refinerys have three and four of them to meet demand for it. It might have taken maybe few months to get back the cost on them. So prices go down... Here is my thought Bio is said to reduce emissions by like 50%. Why isnt the EPA Trying to push Bio? Not only is it a cleaner fuel its cheaper we can grow it and it saves the earth. Instead of trying to make the motors that more cleaner lets clean up the fuel. Make a standard for the bio that everyone hast to follow and mass produce it. Then the makers of the motor with let you run it with out losing your warrenty and everyone wins. Just my .02.

Jon K
2003 F250 CC LB 4x4 PSD stock for now

1999 "Freight shaker" Century direct 10 Detroit 12.7
Pulling a 2001 Utility 53ft airride logistics Trailer LED all around.

sold 94 supercab LB 4x4 PSD ZF5 XLT , 357,000 miles(original motor) Bully Dog 4 pos chip, diy intake, 3in DP into 3in straight pipe, egt gauge, levelin kit and 265/75r16 on 16x8 rims

sold 2003 Mercedes SLK32 AMG Tax write off lol...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:49 PM

2.77 diesel and 3.04 gas
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to deere puller Send a message via Yahoo to deere puller
They wont make bio a standard becuase the government is in the oil companies pockets, look at our leaders they are all in oil. The oil companies have tried to give bio a bad name and have had sucess somewhat. I will admit that there has been some bad bio fuels made due to no standards in the beginning but that has been taken care of or is in the proccess of being taken care of. People talk about having problems with soy diesel but if you have used good fuel in the past and use a good soy diesel you will not have problems most likely, If poor fuel was used and then switch to soy it will clean all the varnish and dirt out of your fuel system and give you wome filter problems in the beginning. We have used a 20% blend in all deere tractors, komatsu construction equipment, semis with cat and cummins, pickups with 7.3, 6.0 psd, cummins , and d max and have had zero problems for about 4 yrs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 AM

Diesel is $2.97 while Unleaded is $3.37 in L. A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode