Regen Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fullservice, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 937 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Regen Question

When the fuel is injected at the end of the exhaust stroke to create a regen cycle, is the resulting EGT more or less than the 1200* we have always tried to stay under? If it is less, then why wouldn't a few runs or pulls at 1200* negate the need for a regen cycle? If it is more than 1200* then has something been done to these new engines and turbos to make them live thru sustained temps above 1200*? If so what? If not, then why couldn't the older engines be run at whatever EGT's the regen cycles create for the same length of time the regen cycles take? About how long do the regen cycles take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 AM

I dont think the turbo sees the excessive heat caused by the regen? I could be wrong
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Powered By Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftedpsd
I dont think the turbo sees the excessive heat caused by the regen? I could be wrong
I'm pretty sure the heat passes through it but it isn't as hard on it as it is on the DPF. definitly something to think about though.

04 Silverado 2500HD LB7/Allison, EFI live by duramaxtuner.com with DSP5, 4" MBRP turbo back straight pipe, polished 5" tip, 5% tint, riding on 285 fierce attitudes, many more mods....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Where exactly does the fuel get injected? I mean is it pre or post turbo? That would tell you if the heat is hitting the turbo...Not sure i was just trying to put something out there..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to deere puller Send a message via Yahoo to deere puller
As far as I know it is injected in the exhaust stroke through the injector, so it would be going through the turbos, no way it couldnt. As far as the the heat goes my personal experiance has showed egts can run higher than 1200 with no problems, but im sure it doesnt help the life of the pistons, valves, or turbos
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 AM

I could of sworn there was an injector to inject it into the DPF? Could be wrong..sorry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

fullservice,

You are 100% correct, the "extra" fuel for active regeneration IS injected near the end of the exhaust stroke by the regular old fuel injector in the cyliner(s).

You are also mostly correct in the EGT question. Every OE measures EGT POST-TURBO, and 1250*F is about the upper limit for any length of time. Now, as you get further down stream from the exhaust valve, the EGTs drop dramatically. So, the EGTs pre-turbo will always be somewhat hotter than post-turbo.

That is not to say that 1250*F is acceptable on older engines (pre-turbo) as materials and manufacturing methods have made modern turbos MUCH more durable than those of a years ago.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 AM

Thanks john...Sorry for the confusion
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

By older I was think in terms of the 6.0 L engines. Not much older and wondering just how much they could take for any period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode