Is LSD dyed? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ZeroOne, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 749 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Is LSD dyed?

Driving up the east coast last week, I had to pass through New Jersey. Long story short, they don't actually ALLOW you to pump your own fuel, and I wasn't paying enough attention to the attendant or the pump. After a full tank, I noticed the pump marked LSD/500ppm. On the garden-state parkway no less... a major road. You'd think all of these major stations would be ULSD now.

Anyway, is LSD red-dyed? I thought they weren't even allowed to sell it on-road anymore? I checked the separator and it came out clear. Seemed to run the same. Kept an eye on the dpf pressure (Livewire) and it stayed the same. Oh well... the first and only tank so far, if the pump was even marked right. The station was "LUKOIL" or something like that. :shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 AM

No LSD is still the golden color. I would keep an eye on the DPF. JJ
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 03:01 AM

From my understanding, I believe all the refineries have been producing ULSD exclusively since this past October. I could be wrong, though.

I wouldnt worry about it. The truck may regen a little more often if you did get LSD, but I dont think any long term effects will be noticeable.

2002 F-350 Lariat crew cab 4x4 PSD auto, DRW with 163,000 miles, Ford AIS, otherwise all stock.

1994 F-250 PSD, 5 speed, open intake, 5" single stack, gauges, DynaMat, 302,000 miles.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 AM

did you mention this to the attendent or manager?
If so what did they say?

F350 PSD SRW King Ranch

11.8 @ 120mph on 37s
8700 lbs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Now Cummins Powered

Garage
Hey ZeroOne, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you! I'd be really mad. I live in New Jersey and I thought that all the fuel stations were ULSD now! I thought they all had to switch over by a certain date, not sure what that date is though, and in the last 6 months I've only seen ULSD at the pumps. Everytime I fill up at an unfamiliar station I will definately check the pump first.

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Cummins Powered, Laramie, Tow Pkg., Snow Plow Pkg., 4.10 Rears.

2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat, 6.4 Powerstroke, Snowplow Prep, Automatic 3.73 posi, 18 inch wheels, SOLD!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBOHN23
Hey ZeroOne, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you! I'd be really mad. I live in New Jersey and I thought that all the fuel stations were ULSD now!...
Every time I pass through NJ, I wonder why I can't pump my own fuel! It breaks my routine of checking the pump stickers. The prices are cheaper, so no complaints! I'll just pay more attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatel23
did you mention this to the attendent or manager?
If so what did they say?
Didn't bring it up. Saw the sticker and every 'LSD post' on the forum came to mind. Not much I could do about it but run it out. The thought had crossed my mind that it wasn't even LSD and they just hadn't put the new stickers on. Just checked the receipt, and I "filled up" but it stopped at 16.8gal. (Time for the harpoon-mod.) So I'm less worried.

I thought I remembered something about red dye being added to LSD, but I think that might have been tax-free bulk sales or something. Couldn't remember.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM

I head about fuel being dyed red too. i think it is tax free for off road use only. possibly for farm equipment and stuff like that?. I also heard that you can get major fines for using tax free stuff on the road if they ever found out but i think this would mostly pertain to rigs i cant imagine someone looking at the fuel in a pickup
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM
TDG Single Club Member#14

Send a message via MSN to big_rooster
They check ours at work cause all heavy equipment runs it. Oh and cause a foreman caught someone fuelin up off the fuel truck.

2003 F-250 6.0 liter crew cab lariat 4x4 short bed, S&B intake, MBRP 4" turbo back straight piped jones, SCT livewire, : 2 jl audio 12W3V3's with jl audio 500/1, autometer sport comp gauges, 6.5 inch pro comp lift, 37x13.5 Super Swamper M16's
http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z319/big_rooster69/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode