08 didnt do so good on ice - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by FordGuy100, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 1745 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

08 didnt do so good on ice

Well first off let me tell you guys I'm only 16. So I've havent really been driving on my own all that long, and I have never driven on ice. When I was 15 I would drive the work van to school with my dad, and then he would drive off to work when I got to school. He always drove when it was icy, no ifs, ands, or buts. I got my license on my birthday in March of this year, so since I've been driving it hasent ever been icy. My trucks turbo took a crap on me a couple weeks ago, so I've been driving the parents truck to school and back (15 miles each way, and theres some pretty windy roads for 10 miles each way of that drive). They have an 08 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 6.4/auto. Anyways I live in an area that hardly ever gets ice, so its not like out in the Minnesota or something were people drive on an inch of ice 11 months out of year (did I blow that out of proportion ).

So anyways I was going along around 60mph into town when I decided I should test how icy the road is. So I slowed down to around 30, took of traction control, and got on the brakes pretty hard. Sure enough the back end kinda started to fish tail on me. So I slowed down to around 10mph. I hit the throttle for a second, and I wasnt gaining any speed or anything, but I looked at the speedo and it said I was doing 45mph. So I started off on my way to school driving extra cauteous, and drove extra slow (no faster than 45mph, remember windy roads). So this one corner was kinda down hill and wasnt very sharp. I had tow haul mod on so I didnt have to touch the brakes going around the corner. Man that was a bad idea. I was about a quarter of the way through the corner when the tranny downshifted, and the back end of the truck just slid right out. I was doing like 30mph, and I sh#^ you not, the back end was at like a 25-30* angle, and it stayed there for a good second. Man that scarred the holy living sh#^ out of me, cause its not like I was expecting it as if I slammed on the brakes or something. The whole rest of the way into town, I would go around the corner, not giving it any throttle or brake, and the back end would come out on me a little bit. It was kinda weird to have that happen. I did make it into town safe though, though there were a couple of wrecks on the road into town. It was more my fault than anything, cause it was in 2wd (it was in 4x4 not long after that), and tow/haul mod was on because of me, but I figured these trucks would do better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100
Well first off let me tell you guys I'm only 16. So I've havent really been driving on my own all that long, and I have never driven on ice. When I was 15 I would drive the work van to school with my dad, and then he would drive off to work when I got to school. He always drove when it was icy, no ifs, ands, or buts. I got my license on my birthday in March of this year, so since I've been driving it hasent ever been icy. My trucks turbo took a crap on me a couple weeks ago, so I've been driving the parents truck to school and back (15 miles each way, and theres some pretty windy roads for 10 miles each way of that drive). They have an 08 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 6.4/auto. Anyways I live in an area that hardly ever gets ice, so its not like out in the Minnesota or something were people drive on an inch of ice 11 months out of year (did I blow that out of proportion ).

So anyways I was going along around 60mph into town when I decided I should test how icy the road is. So I slowed down to around 30, took of traction control, and got on the brakes pretty hard. Sure enough the back end kinda started to fish tail on me. So I slowed down to around 10mph. I hit the throttle for a second, and I wasnt gaining any speed or anything, but I looked at the speedo and it said I was doing 45mph. So I started off on my way to school driving extra cauteous, and drove extra slow (no faster than 45mph, remember windy roads). So this one corner was kinda down hill and wasnt very sharp. I had tow haul mod on so I didnt have to touch the brakes going around the corner. Man that was a bad idea. I was about a quarter of the way through the corner when the tranny downshifted, and the back end of the truck just slid right out. I was doing like 30mph, and I sh#^ you not, the back end was at like a 25-30* angle, and it stayed there for a good second. Man that scarred the holy living sh#^ out of me, cause its not like I was expecting it as if I slammed on the brakes or something. The whole rest of the way into town, I would go around the corner, not giving it any throttle or brake, and the back end would come out on me a little bit. It was kinda weird to have that happen. I did make it into town safe though, though there were a couple of wrecks on the road into town. It was more my fault than anything, cause it was in 2wd (it was in 4x4 not long after that), and tow/haul mod was on because of me, but I figured these trucks would do better than that.

My bro's 04 Ram 1500 was T boned like about a year ago, and its never been the same ever since. But it is crazy fast so about 2 months ago I decided to go a little fast on a turn (flooring it) boy big mistake. It did the same thing as you're 08 did, the bed was at like a 30Degree Angle and I was about to skid into the other side of the road. Long Story short, ya sure it isn't you're tires, when my parents and I were coming back from picking up my dad's 08 the roads in Colorado were a bit icy but we didn't have any scares like this. The truck was in 2wd all the time.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Dually Club #3

Even the best of tires have a hard time on ice. It IS ICE!!!!! It's all about inertia on ice. If you change something that you tire doesn't like it lets you know. Go slow don't slam on the large pedal and just be cautious. Good luck.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 AM
I like beer.

Send a message via AIM to NukleusX Send a message via Yahoo to NukleusX
I dunno bout how old you are Wolf, but I mean... Guys come on. I dont get extreme weather here except some heavy rains every other year or so. I had a friend die sitting next to me in a car accident in '05 due to heavy long rains.

Guys I am not nagging, just dont try anything out of the norm wherever you are, no matter how desolate or whatnot, just drive as safe as you can. Drive 10 MPH under posted speed or recommended speed even, if the road conditions are crap.

Granted I do not have experience driving in/on ice, I have lost more than just my friend who died next to me to weather related car accidents. Just slow down and be careful, thats how I am when weather hits.

I find it funny, No matter where you go or where you are, there are always the people who never heed to weather and they always end up being the ones who are in accidents up the road when they speed by you, or the ones who get pulled over, or even the ones who wind up crashing into somone not too far ahead of you.

Just keep your weathery seasons safe guys, all I have to say. Good luck in any driving conditions you face this winter!

And Happy holidays and new year.

Jeremy
94 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB.
Power: BHAF, 4" exhaust, S300G, 15.5*, 100 plate, 90 hp sticks, 191 dvs, Mike L. trans. more when i remember.
Appearance: 1 pc headlights, HIDs, 4.5" lift, flippy mirrors (up), not so chrome 6" silverline exhaust tip, not so fancy aftermarket wheels
American Club #33
Singles Club #74
TDG Mafia #111

http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukleusX
I dunno bout how old you are Wolf, but I mean... Guys come on. I dont get extreme weather here except some heavy rains every other year or so. I had a friend die sitting next to me in a car accident in '05 due to heavy long rains.

Guys I am not nagging, just dont try anything out of the norm wherever you are, no matter how desolate or whatnot, just drive as safe as you can. Drive 10 MPH under posted speed or recommended speed even, if the road conditions are crap.

Granted I do not have experience driving in/on ice, I have lost more than just my friend who died next to me to weather related car accidents. Just slow down and be careful, thats how I am when weather hits.

I find it funny, No matter where you go or where you are, there are always the people who never heed to weather and they always end up being the ones who are in accidents up the road when they speed by you, or the ones who get pulled over, or even the ones who wind up crashing into somone not too far ahead of you.

Just keep your weathery seasons safe guys, all I have to say. Good luck in any driving conditions you face this winter!

And Happy holidays and new year.
Oh noooo I was driving like that in uber normal summer conditions. Lol Im scared as heck of ice. I dont think I even drove my dad's 08 on Ice. The only reason I mentioned that thing about the ram was because I was trying to say how unstable trucks can be I should have been more clear. And I'm 18 .
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Dually Club #3

I have to say, that is the one thing that really gets me going in the winter up here. We don't get alot of snow but we do get alot of ice, and when the "Flatlanders" come up here and drive like it is 80F outside, I just wnat to pull them out of their vehicles and ring thier neck!!! SLOW DOWN WHEN THE ROADS HAVE SNOW AND ICE PLEASE!!!!

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah I wouldnt doubt that the tires are a big factor in what happened. They are the factory tires that come with the 20" wheels. But yeah ice is ice, you cant completly conquer it with just tires.

And I was driving as cautiously as I could, and was doing way under the speed limit, actually about half the speed limit most the time. And I wasnt trying to pitch the rear end out or anything, except kinda when I floored it from going slow.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Dually Club #3

We where all 16 once, we know what you where doing. We just want everybody to get home with all parts the same as when they left. One thing I didn't do when I was 16 or 17 or 18 .... is learn form the experience around me. It would have save alot of time and effort, maybe some money too. So please don't think I am trying to bash you at all, I am just hoping to get some useful info your way.

Jason

72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdydiesel
We where all 16 once, we know what you where doing. We just want everybody to get home with all parts the same as when they left. One thing I didn't do when I was 16 or 17 or 18 .... is learn form the experience around me. It would have save alot of time and effort, maybe some money too. So please don't think I am trying to bash you at all, I am just hoping to get some useful info your way.
Na man, I understand. Yes I do some stupid stuff while driving, though nothing bad of it has happened because of it. I'm not saying it never will, but it just hasnt happened yet. But yeah, I will head warnings when driving on ice and the such, I've always seen videos of people crashing while driving on ice and I just figured they were crappy drivers (cause there are a lot of crappy drivers out here) but I got some respect for you guys who have to live with it a couple months out of the year.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM
I like beer.

Send a message via AIM to NukleusX Send a message via Yahoo to NukleusX
when it comes to adverse driving conditions or weather, i prefer to drive like 3 blocks to the store, and pick up beer, and watch the tube (something i rarely do mind all yall) and watch accidents happening to dumb***** drivers.

Jeremy
94 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB.
Power: BHAF, 4" exhaust, S300G, 15.5*, 100 plate, 90 hp sticks, 191 dvs, Mike L. trans. more when i remember.
Appearance: 1 pc headlights, HIDs, 4.5" lift, flippy mirrors (up), not so chrome 6" silverline exhaust tip, not so fancy aftermarket wheels
American Club #33
Singles Club #74
TDG Mafia #111

http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode